Remodel!

jlc1988

Hi all! We've got a 96 Southwind Storm. She served us well during 2018. We love the way it drives and sleeps. Now that we've gotten some miles in, we would like to fix things that got broken and re-do the interior. The wall paper in this rig would bore my grandma. 

Here are my questions...

1)  Where can you get replacement cargo bay doors? If you can't find them, how can you repair them?

2)  Where can you find furniture that is made for RVs?

3)  Has anybody here updated their old rig?

Thanks y'all!

There is a RV parts and furniture discount store near Bosie ID. I don’t remember the name but I’m sure it will show up if you Google it. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

When remodeling many people don't get new RV furniture they just get new furniture. Lots of Lazy Boy recliners out here. Just watch the rig's weight capacity and think about how you are going to get it inside and if/how you will anchor it then buy whatever takes your fancy. There's at least one rig out there furnished with antiques.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

We have done a lot of updating on our 5er.  For cargo bay doors we found some on ebay.  We replaced our sleeper sofa and the recliners with residential furniture.  I used glass tile behind the counter and painted some of the walls.  Our Teton has a lot of oak cabinets and doors that I refinished and the carpet has been replaced.  The size refrigerator we had is no longer available so that cabinet had to be rebuilt for a new one.  All of the faucets have been replaced with quality residential pieces. The table had a glass insert that was replaced with a wood insert.  The valances have all been redone.   I removed the decal graphics and painted new ones.  We added solar and moved the batteries to add a couple more and put in a larger black holding tank for boon docking.   This was all done a little at a time over a few years as time allowed.

For things like furniture and faucets I prefer to use residential instead of the RV components.  I think the quality is better and often it is cheaper.  A little paint on old fixtures can also make a big difference. The air vents for instance were turning yellow so we took them off and painted these and the AC vents.  We have enjoyed the updates but it is still valued as an old RV.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

4 hours ago, jlc1988 said:

Where can you get replacement cargo bay doors? If you can't find them, how can you repair them?

For a 1996 RV you will probably need to either find a salvaged one that has good bay doors or get those you have repaired. A good fiberglass shop that does RV and boat work should be able to rework the ones that you have now unless they are completely destroyed. 

As you do this project, just do not forget that when you finish your RV will not have increased in value very much so the cost of remodeling will not be recoverable. We did several redecorating projects in the class A that we lived in for 12 years. We replaced the couch, had driver, passenger and easy chairs reupholstered, replaced window coverings, and painted the bedroom walls. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

A former workmate of mine, inherited his FIL's Rexhall. I know it was on a F53 chassis, and being the 460, that made it pre 98 Chassis (Fun fact, no Ford F53 Chassis. They jumped from the 97 to the 99 F53, with the first year 275HP 2 Valve V10.). It had been maintained well, and while not stored inside, it was under an aluminum awning when not be used.

He pulled the engine and transmission, the E40D 4Sp unit, with a Torque Converter that was the weak link in the running gear. While blue printing the engine, cams, MSD Electronics and Thorley Headers, etc., etc. He also had the Auto rebuilt and had a heavy duty Torque Converter. Had the radiator re-cored with an extra roll of coils for about 20% more cooling capacity. Upgrade oil and trans cooler too. His most favorite mod, was he found the Gear Vendors Over/Under setup on Craigslist. It had come out of a low miles usage condition, and even so he sent it to Gear Vendors to go over and change out anytime they thought warranted it. He said he loves being in Third Gear over, and that he can pull big hills in this configuration. 

On the inside, he put in new higher end cork flooring tiles (Bought also on Craigslist, from a higher end remodel, when the owner changed their mine on the color they wanted with cork tiles.). Did some custom cabinetry changes, upgraded electronics, pulled a couch and added to comfortable chairs for his wife and him. He also upgraded the fridge (Don't recall what that was changed to.) and changed over the TV's and stereo system. Wife wanted a better stove top, so he bought one made for the boating community that she really likes. 

Now, he started with a good coach, one slide, that cost him nothing. His wife had fond memories of this coach, and their two kids would spend a week each with the Grand Parents each year during the summer - so they were all in on preserving the unit. And both came over to offer help on the interior work too. 

I believe a coach, like a boat, is more then just the parts that make it up. The history, and character - do make a difference!!!

Good luck on your remodel, and then go have some more fun,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

23 minutes ago, Smitty77_7 said:

I know it was on a F53 chassis, and being the 460, that made it pre 98 Chassis (Fun fact, no Ford F53 Chassis. They jumped from the 97 to the 99 F53, with the first year 275HP 2 Valve V10.).

The 99 F53 was released in late Feb. or early March of 1998. I had one of them under a 1998 Georgie Boy, Cruise Master. Shortly after taking delivery in early May of 98, I had a complete Banks performance package added to it, including their Trans-command. It served us very well as our fulltime home for 12 years and we sold it at year 14. Thus we had a 98 coach that was on a 99 chassis and was recorded that way on the title. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 4 weeks later...

If the manufacturer is still in business you may be able to order parts from them. Not all manufacturers keep molds, but it would be worth a phone call. A boat repair shop may be able to help, too.

Probably the best source of information would be the owners forum. Looks like it is on IRV2.

The remodel shop at Foretravel is constantly busy, as is the one at Motorhomes of Texas. Lots of people have decided that it makes sense to spend a few coachbucks to upgrade the coach they have and like rather than buy something else.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

• 3 weeks later...

It's possible to order parts from Fleetwood. Enter your VIN in the search and if it's included, it'll bring up all the parts used on your specific rig. Some are available, some are not.

https://parts.revgroup.com/gensuite/web/catalog-center

However... prices are pretty insane. I recently needed a cargo door for my '03 Bounder. The shop said that because it was aluminum, it couldn't be fixed. I don't know. Thankfully it was an insurance claim, and Fleetwood had the part... for $1300.

That said, every Fleetwood owner should bookmark the page for their vehicle. It's a great reference, and many of the parts can be sourced elsewhere.

Archived