Sending my guns back to myself

For the person really interested in actual tactics read my article on my website with some RV specific suggestions for the unarmed as well as the armed. I used the Book " Street Survival: Tactics for Armed Encounters" in every class, military and civilian, so I could show pics of perps who kept on shooting after more than 25 9mm hits.

I have my copy of the first edition with imprints on the hard cover from my resting the M-16 barrels on it when I taught field stripping and function checks so it would not slide around the Formica tables.

3OunqnHl.jpg

Here is the current iteration of that seminal work:

https://www.calibrepress.com/2018/09/street-survival-ii-the-legacy-continues/

The book can be bought here if after reading the above link you want to learn shooting tactics like the pros, none of which are difficult if practiced. https://secure.calibrepress.com/shop/

Safe travels!

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 2:35 PM, Big5er said:

I have no issues respecting "their" laws. I just wish there was a way to drive to the rest of "our" country without having to go through "theirs". And for those of us that live in the rv, it is kind of hard to leave them at "home".

It sounds like congratulations is in order!  Did you retire and start the full timing lifestyle?  Good for you!  Safe travels!

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

On 12/24/2018 at 12:35 PM, Big5er said:

I have no issues respecting "their" laws. I just wish there was a way to drive to the rest of "our" country without having to go through "theirs". And for those of us that live in the rv, it is kind of hard to leave them at "home".

Feel the same way, with the same 'home' situation.

• 3 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, packnrat said:

makes one wonder why canada never became free of the yoke of the "privileged royals" and then became part of the United States of America.

The people of Canada would have to want that, and all the polls I've seen over the years have supported Canada's current constitutional independence from the UK with little or no support for any significant changes. The British Parliament has not had any powers over Canadian laws since 1982. While both countries do share the same person as the head of the royal family, she reigns as the Queen of Canada  as well as the Queen of England, two separate and distinct titles.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

6 hours ago, packnrat said:

makes one wonder why canada never became free of the yoke of the "privileged royals"

That is probably because they believe that they are free! I doubt that many of them would appreciate the thought you express. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

i guess i just do not understand the privileges a "special" family believes they deserve over all others.

but then i do live in ca, we have a dictator like set-up here. sure we get to vote, but its really just a one party system. we are not free here, and that is why many are moving away to free America.

I voted with my feet and left The People’s Democratic Solicalist Republic of California when I went full time and headed east several years ago. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

I think you would be hard put to find many Canadians that are not proud of their constitutional monarchy system. As in Great Britain, the queen serves as the symbolic head of the government in Canada, but the reality is while the queen reigns, the elected Prime Minister rules.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

If you are offended by having to comply with Canadian laws in route to Alaska, don't travel over their highways to get there. You can always take the Alaska State Ferry up and completely avoid those foreign laws and rules!

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Having researched all of that, if you want your handguns in Alaska you can mail them ahead to that dealer in Tok listed previously by Big5er. http://www.wolfhawkshipping.com/home

Much cheaper than taking the ferry just to take your guns. As long as I do the postage and packaging, I have an friend who will ship them free if I'd want and most would not charge much at all. Call the guy in the link for details.

Come on Guys, Canada is not keeping you from bringing your tactical shotguns. It is an easy thing to remove a magazine extension and/or put the wood stock back on if you did the conversion to the black synthetics.

J5yVz1Jl.jpg

I did my 20 ga. 870 express and have my original wooden stock and it is still plugged anyway. Why? Because the pistols in the house are first line of defense after locking doors if possible and calling for backup/police. Our Ring security cams alert us to any movement and we can look Then the 20 ga. shotgun with buckshot in her hands and my .40 cal in mine or the .308 bolt action in mine. Both shotguns have stock cheek piece shell holders. I doubt that Canada would have objections to the nylon stocks but I would check wherever I was going about that.

I emailed Viking Travel and got this back with contact numbers if anyone has further questions. I read the online pages but they mentioned Canadian laws too and I realize they just mean if you get off in Canada you need to not have handguns or other illegal guns in Canada. But from the US to Alaska and then disembark we are OK for anything we can legally have in the lower 48 and Alaska. Me, I left my handguns and took a Savage 24C with .22 ammo and 20 ga, slugs strictly for protection from animal predators.

Email follows:

Yes,  firearms are allowed to be transported in the vehicle/RV while on the ferry.

They must be stored in a locked container separate from any ammunition.

Below is some additional information

Firearms, and ammunition transported in vehicles must be declared, and stowed in suitable locked compartments i.e., locked trunk, locked vehicle.

Additionally, the following items are prohibited in public areas on the vessel:

·  a) Hunting Bows and Arrows (regardless of size, or configuration)

·  b) Large knives (defined as blades over four inches in overall length)

·  c) Machetes/hatchets or axe (regardless of size)

·  d) Bear Spray, and/or any self-defense products such as stun guns, and tasers

·  e) Empty gun cases

·  f) Any item the Master considers inappropriate for the safety and well-being of passengers and crew

Ammunition

Small quantities of ammunition (Not to exceed 100 kg (220.5 lbs.) for handguns, rifles and shotguns, may be transported by passengers provided they are securely packaged and carried separately from any firearm that is being transported. No black powder in any quantity is allowed. Customers should check with local terminal staff for the AMHS policy on transporting firearms.

Canada Border Crossing with Firearms

Laws regulating the import, export, and possession of firearms have recently changed in Canada and the U.S. Please check with Canadian or U.S. customs offices prior to transporting a firearm into these countries. You can get more information by visiting the Canada Border Services Agency website, the Canadian Firearms Centre website, and for U.S. regulations at the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms website.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us here at Viking Travel.

Have a great day,

Melanie Gunn, Agent

Viking Travel, Inc.

www.AlaskaFerry.com

Melanie@alaskaferry.com

Melanie@VikingTrvl.net

P.O. Box 787

Petersburg, AK 99833

1-800-327-2571 Ext. 106

Fax: 907-772-3940

ARC 02580410

My office hours are Monday through Friday, 9:00am to 5:00pm Eastern Time.

Main office hours are Monday through Friday, 9:00am to 5:00pm Alaska Standard Time."

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Archived