"Walking the Sticks"

Dennis M

Here for your edification is a real truck and real trucker. Twin stick, 16 speeds forward, 4 in reverse. Take special note of him running up through the gears in reverse!

Also don't miss the comment from David himself "I made my debut in the left seat at 14 ..."

57 years behind the wheel you learn a few things. I sure don't pretend to be a 'trucker'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adXl1fASYII

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

When I was much younger, I used to occasionally help out a local who had a White road tractor, converted into a dump truck.  It had a 250 Cummins and a 10 spd, then he added a 3 spd behind that, so it had 30 forward and 4 reverse.  It didn't take long to realize you only needed about 5 or 6 gears when empty, and maybe double that loaded.

Most trucks have more gears than they need, and some folks feel the need to use all of them. 😉

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

At sixty years always drove stick 4 and 5 speeds. Never drove a NON Sychronized truck trans. but I know how things work. Took abit to figure you can't get into low range without being in neutral with the clutch out so was really starting out in 6 th gear. Well I made the 250 mile drive home. My love of old trucks started in 1960 riding in my uncles brand new twin stick Autocar.  1984 Peterbilt 359 with a Cat 3406B 13 speed.

My partners still have one gas tandem, 1979 International, 446 v-8 fuel sucker, w/ a 5/4 and juice brakes.  I hate that truck.  I'd rather drive the 1949 KB-6.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Man I was sheltered....Mama Scrap wouldn't let me ride in an air braked truck till we got the '86!  Pretty sure I was banned from the 453 and gas 95 combines for life, but no loss there....  I don't know how you guys made it alive this far! 😏☺️

Archived