Basement storage bin lids - weatherproof gaskets?

MrsSquid

We're gearing up to full-time with hopes to be part of the 2020 class.  What storage bins do you use in your basement storage areas? Do you use those with weatherproofing gaskets in the lids to cut down on humidity or smells? Do you use regular bins or some mix, depending upon what is stored? Thanks.

I like stackable rubbermaid tubs. Will check the label when we park today.  We have a variety of sizes - some of which have lasted more than 10 years.  Heat, cold, humidity isn't an issue and if the contents went in dry they stay dry. They can bear the weight of either another box on top, or even our little grill without cracking or caving in.  The lid is deep, and the lip keeps things from sliding around or related little doodads from rolling off.  From size to size the lids are interchangeable. Looks like Rubbermaid's quit making roughneck boxes, but you may be able to find some still in retail stores.

The newer Sterilite has held up better than I expected. I have a few smaller, clear boxes for speciality items, but some lids on larger boxes cracked or caved in a stack.  Some of their lids are more molded now like the old rubbermaid and have held up better.  I still go with rubbermaid if I can find them, and only use clear boxes where they will not be part of a stack.  

Bottom line, look for tough, waterproof, stackable, and sizes that vary in height rather than footprint (or two of the same brand in small fit crosswise on the lid of a large, etc.).  I'd also get a few basics, but you will want to buy your totes and bins once you have your rig.  It's easier to get your groups of stuff together and then buy the bin to fit, i.e., all your laundry/floor cleaning supplies, all the bathroom supplies, pet stuff, hoses, little plumbing doodads, bungies and ties, etc. Some of the smaller clear boxes are related to the last items that my hubs wouldn't find if he couldn't see them - and they go in a separate spot just for him... no major stacks in the basement.

There are some clear stackables with locks where the bottom of the upper box is the lid for the lower box.  They come about 3 or 4 layers high.  That works for some of the hub's little things that he needs to hook up as soon as we land somewhere. It resides in a cubby on the truck and he doesn't have to move anything to get to it.

We're rolling now; will take a photo or two when we get settled later.

We also liked Rubbermaid bins we bought at Walmart to use in our RV that had basement compartments. Although we had my two favorite lamps simply wrapped in sheets and stashed in a small compartment where they just barely fit. Now that we are off the road again I am thrilled to still have those lamps.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

We just used the bins we picked up at Walmart. If you are worried about humidity and smells I would recommend grabbing some vacuum bags to store your stuff

Words To Live By:

• " Welcome To Our Campsite Where Friends And Marshmallows Get Toasted At The Same Time" - Me
  • " Every problem in the world can be fixed with one of two items. If it moves and it shouldn't, duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, WD-40." - Rving Review

States I've Visited:

VisitedStatesMap.gif

We used sturdy tubs but I'd recommend that you get all the same brand so that smaller ones can easily stack on bigger ones.  Also, try to get clear boxes. Although they probably won't be exactly see-through you can get a general idea by colors and shapes of things stored.  We also labeled all 4 sides so we didn't have to be concerned about putting them in so they could be read.  We used a label rather than writing on the box in case we switched up things in the future.  Store like items together and most used out in front of the storage bays.  We had no need to store clothes or bedding. If it didn't fit upstairs in the closet/drawers it wasn't taken.  We dressed in layers so everything went well together.... no bulky coats.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, SnowGypsy said:

We discovered the Ziploc which do have a gasket and love them.  We get the 15 gallon WeatherShield, some in clear and a couple in the almost black.  We order them online from Wal-Mart.  They really lock down!

But, if you pack them in a humid climate you seal in that moisture. Some people on this forum like using Damp-Rid to help with humidity problems.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

There are natural alternatives to DampRid that can be "recharged" in the sun.  We like those.  Damp-Rid, with the exception of the ones that hang, can be messy and destructive when spilled.   Well, we like ZipLoc, and it does keep spiders from invading.  Everyone can use whatever they like, I just wanted to let people know about the ZipLoc as we were delighted when we discovered them.  I have always been a "less is more" type person, so my experience may differ from others when it comes to storage among other things.

Cathy

We picked up some 27 gallon stackable, heavy-duty storage totes on sale this past weekend at Costco. We saw a smaller, stackable size available at our local Office Depot.

https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/792989/Greenmade-Storage-Tote-27-Gallons-30/. Apparently Office Depot is matching, or almost matching, the cost at Costco.

I looked at the Ziploc with the gasket. I may still use a couple of those. SnowGypsy, are you satisfied with the durability of the Ziploc? 

Thanks everyone.

Archived