Transmission ECU

SuiteSuccess

Just now, Ronbo said:

Insert an expanding concrete anchor. Tighten it up to expand it. Place or make a puller for the expanded anchor. Pull it out. I saw a video where they used this method for pulling out a bearing.

Great thought!  Thanks Ron.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

6 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Great thought!  Thanks Ron.

I have used those a lot. They tighten up more the more pull you put on it. I have got them in crocked and had tried to remove them. no way. cut off and grind flat. move over and make new hole. Bearing is a different animal than what you have. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

36 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

I have used those a lot. They tighten up more the more pull you put on it. I have got them in crocked and had tried to remove them. no way. cut off and grind flat. move over and make new hole. Bearing is a different animal than what you have. 

Yeah, but couldn’t you drill a hole  into the sensor core, insert this, and then put a socket over it and keep cranking down which would put a pull on the stuck piece?

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

1 minute ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Yeah, but couldn’t you drill a hole  into the sensor core, insert this, and then put a socket over it and keep cranking down which would put a pull on the stuck piece?

depends on how tight it is. Problem is it is unforgiving. Harder it pulls up the tighter it is. You can;t get them out.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Suite,

How big is this core you're trying to get out?  I mean, is it stuck in a 1" hole or a 1/4" hole? What's on the other side? Water, oil, ???

Can you get a dremel tool or a small right angle drill on it?  

ON EDIT:

I should probably read the  entire post before I open my big mouth. With Charlie & Dave, tools appear to be a non problem. Glenn has the "how to" pretty well covered. (Fitters can do anything, just ask 'em)

Seriously, how about a slide hammer using a modified lag bolt as an anchor. No big whams, just a lot of small taps?? 

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

31 minutes ago, adept99 said:

Suite,

How big is this core you're trying to get out?  I mean, is it stuck in a 1" hole or a 1/4" hole? What's on the other side? Water, oil, ???

Can you get a dremel tool or a small right angle drill on it?  

ON EDIT:

I should probably read the  entire post before I open my big mouth. With Charlie & Dave, tools appear to be a non problem. Glenn has the "how to" pretty well covered. (Fitters can do anything, just ask 'em)

Seriously, how about a slide hammer using a modified lag bolt as an anchor. No big whams, just a lot of small taps?? 

Paul,

Stuck in hole slightly less than 1”.  Depth 1 1/4”.  Other side is transmission fluid and shaft tone ring so drilling has to be precise.  David gonna bring all kinds of pullers and slap hammers.  Plan is to drill and tap, insert a bolt through a socket with washer on top of the socket, and slowly crank down to use as a puller.  This is sensor and barrel broke at the collar.  They tell you to remove two wire connector then gently twist out.  Yeah right after 12 years!

LzqlfgNl.jpg

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

9 hours ago, DesertMiner said:

So now might be a good time to check out the other sensors...12 years is a long time! Don’t be surprised at what you find!

Yep, you’re right, that’s my plan for the next few months.  Right now my list is 1.  Replacing cab airbags 2.  Replacing shocks. 3. Sensors and harness on the truck.  Trailer is replacing most or all screws, caulking, Eternabond to roof, replumbing kitchen sink, cut off valve to fresh water tank (since Kantleak valve leaks), replacing heater ducting in basement, fixing sticking drawer in dish washer amongst other minor things.  Glad retirement is leisurely.😀

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2 hours ago, DesertMiner said:

Wow I thought you had a “newer” trailer!

As Jim said. Precautionary maintenance. 

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

• 2 weeks later...

Update!  Nice to have good friends.  GeorgiaHybrid came up and we tackled the stuck sensor remnants.  Appeared to have been leaking water around the “O” ring on the sensor for awhile.  Was rusted in.  PB Blaster soaks minimally helpful.  Had to basically chisel it out in pieces.  Tried to drill and tap but the core was just spun copper with a small magnetic pin at the bottom so nothing to get purchase for a puller.  Sensor socket was rusty so cleaned with steel brush and reseated new sensor with anti seize.  Hooked up the plug and drove around storage facility.  Shifts smoother than before and in R1 backing did not lurch like it’s done since I bought the truck.  Can only surmise the sensor has been marginal for several years and finally decided to give up the ghost.

Take home lessons: 1. What should be a 15 minute job can take days. 2.  If transmission not shifting as smoothly as it once did, may be sensors wearing out. 

P.S.  Thanks Dave and Charlie for all the help.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Archived