Transmission ECU

SuiteSuccess

HkbDgT8l.jpgWent over to drive truck today.  Started fine, shifted into 2nd as usual then service light came on, tell tale said “check transmission ecu at next stop”.  Truck went into limp mode, would not get above 1000 rpms and would not shift automatically or even go into manual mode.  Limped back to storage facility, reset fault still no shift into neutral.  Finally had to shut down in 2nd.  Waited 15 secs turned key back on code reappeared without truck running, reset code and was able to shift into neutral then into R1 and park.  Had to repeat procedure to get back to N after shutting down in Reverse.  Here are the displays.  Sorry put one pic up top.  Wondering if sensor bad?  Any help?nkDWEwXl.jpgs7Itklll.jpg

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

That’s the plan for tomorrow Darryl.  That just popped into my head as a possible culprit.  Thanks for the reminder.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

4 minutes ago, DesertMiner said:

Output speed sensor is a known weak spot on the UltraShift... always carry a spare to keep out of trouble.  Remove the plug and clean it up. How do you keep your batteries charged while in storage?  Did you notice your voltage?

Remind me where to find the sensor.  I have a Xantrex Freedom 1800 HF  Inverter/ Charger that I keep plugged in all the time when at the storage facility.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

29 minutes ago, DesertMiner said:

Thanks so much.  If I recall this sensor is accessed by removing the floor plate and is on top of the transmission?  Or is it on the rear?

on edit.  Found it here.http://www.roadranger.com/ecm/groups/public/@pub/@eaton/@roadranger/documents/content/trsm0940en-us.pdf

Is this pretty easy to access and is any reprogramming necessary after a new one is installed?

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

There are 3 speed sensors on the Ultrashift all the same part number.  There are two on top and the output one is at the rear of the transmission near the yolk and can be accessed from underneath.  On mine there was a couple of mounting locations for the output sensor which was handy as we never got the original out.  So far I’ve changed two of the three and the local Volvo always has a few in stock so it must be a common problem.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

1 minute ago, Nigel said:

There are 3 speed sensors on the Ultrashift all the same part number.  There are two on top and the output one is at the rear of the transmission near the yolk and can be accessed from underneath.  On mine there was a couple of mounting locations for the output sensor which was handy as we never got the original out.  So far I’ve changed two of the three and the local Volvo always has a few in stock so it must be a common problem.

Nigel

Thanks Nigel.  Hope you’re still doing well.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Carl, this sensor is used in 2 places. One is on top of the tranny as an input shaft speed sensor and the other is on the rear tailpiece as a output shaft speed sensor.  I had to replace my input shaft speed sensor when the tranny would not shift into gear at all.      Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

This sensor was my first thought too. They were on the pricey side (about $350 each from Volvo) so I bought one and replaced it. Didn't make much difference, so I put it back and swapped out with another. I ended up replacing both because I thought it made enough a difference to be worth it. They were all easy to replace. Maybe 15 minutes each.

The actual culprit for me though was the throttle position sensor on the accelerator pedal.

** it just dawned on me that I have a Freedomline transmission. But you might find some value in my experience anyway.

31 minutes ago, noteven said:

Yes correct Glenn but all loads are gone so takes a long time - a guy could connect a small maintainer solar panel to them maybe? 

I need to do just that. Most times I have to park in over flow area and no power for charger.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Update:  Got new sensor.   Of course everything rusty so had soaked overnight in PB Blaster.  Bracket screw came out with some effort.  Carefully tried to twist out old sensor and top half basically crumbled in my hand. Could tell from rust in top it was probably already cracked allowing water to get in and leading to failure.HVn95k9l.jpg There are two other ports (which could be used) protected with plastic stoppers which were rusted in also so didn’t fight them with risk of breaking them also.  So now have half of sensor still down in hole.  Called on my smart friend Charlie and going to make a “puller” with a lag screw, socket, and some washers.  Wish me luck.  Can’t get a drill in to drill it out, plus don’t want debris down in transmission.  Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Carl, you may have to drill a hole in the middle of the broken sensor to get the lag screw to bite into it. Mine came out as several pieces. The procedure I used was successful but time consuming and stressful.  My hope would be that someone knows a better procedure to remove the remains of the sensor. I will try to send some good vibes in your direction.    Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

40 minutes ago, sclord2002 said:

Carl, you may have to drill a hole in the middle of the broken sensor to get the lag screw to bite into it. Mine came out as several pieces. The procedure I used was successful but time consuming and stressful.  My hope would be that someone knows a better procedure to remove the remains of the sensor. I will try to send some good vibes in your direction.    Charlie

Yeah, gonna take your advice and hand drill with “T” handle I have from an old tap and die set.  Wonder if an “Ease Out” would grab enough to work it out?

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

8 hours ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Carl, I have a 90 deg drill and left handed bits that will probably work plus a bunch of different pullers. I will be back your way for a key soon and can bring them then if that would help.

David,

I’m going to look at it again today.  I’ll call you later and let you know.  Thanks buddy.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Grease on drill bit if you have to drill into tranny. Helps capture debris 

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

Insert an expanding concrete anchor. Tighten it up to expand it. Place or make a puller for the expanded anchor. Pull it out. I saw a video where they used this method for pulling out a bearing.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Archived