Jump to content
Vegas Teacher

Bling for my truck

Recommended Posts

Just got these today:

https://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server1500/c824d/product_images/attribute_rule_images/27426_zoom_1441747614.jpg

Theses came for the Volvo today. Got tired of being to dark at night. Going to add deep space to them this spring. Getting them and the direct link hooked up after I get back from Christmas vacation.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Put the same lights on my rig about a month ago. Very nice lights but need to figure out how to adjust them as I drive with high beams on as low beams point at the ground about 10' in front of the truck. I always forget to adjust them after I'm done driving... I must be getting old and forgetful!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Vegas Teacher said:

Just got these today:

https://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server1500/c824d/product_images/attribute_rule_images/27426_zoom_1441747614.jpg

Theses came for the Volvo today. Got tired of being to dark at night. Going to add deep space to them this spring. Getting them and the direct link hooked up after I get back from Christmas vacation.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hi Cory,

Nice looking lights. I have a question for you. Do those light housing take the stock light set-up ?

Al

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

Nice.  I need to find a good replacement for the lights in my Kenworth one of these days.

Chad,

Have you looked in Raneys. I am pretty impressed with them. The online catalog and website seperates stuff out by truck, make and model. I am still old fashion enough that I like a catalog that I can keep on the bed stand but the online is pretty good too.

I posted an address in the other posting I did recently on here.

Hey Happy Holidays to you and yours!

Later,

Cory O

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Vegas Teacher said:

Al,

I spoke with two people at Raneys and the said they were plug and play. The lights go good reviews.

Thanks Cory for the answer. I need to replace my head light housings. I do have have The Deep Space Lighting in my truck right now. I was hoping if I go with those housings my Deep Space Lighting will work.

Al

Edited by alan0043

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK guys.  I'm getting confused now!  That can be pretty easy.

So these lights we are talking about are NOT the Deep Space Lighting lights sold be Davidat www.deepspacelighting.com?  These are just the housing for a set of lights (bulbs) which could be the Deep space lighting bulbs.

I thought maybe at first, someone else was now selling David's lights since his are pretty superior to what else is out there on the market.  Maybe he expanded his dealer network?

I probably just got cornfused!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rocky,

Those lights are for the newer trucks than you and I have.  For our trucks, ya gotta buy the whole thing as one unit, unless David has done something different since I got mine.  I love 'em.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes Rick.  That I know.  I was just trying to get some clarification for others looking for the new trucks.

I did purchase the other lights that David recommended and from a company that he suggested. Just installed them a couple of weeks ago, soon as I could turn a wrench!   Not his, but will probably do his sometime in the future.  Just waiting to pull the trigger with some $$.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Something to keep in mind.... David has mentioned in the past some of the “aftermarket” light housings are a bit more work to get his kit to fit correctly. If you are in the market for new headlight housings and plan on using David’s light kits you might drop him a line and verify which housings have worked successfully. JMHO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, DesertMiner said:

Something to keep in mind.... David has mentioned in the past some of the “aftermarket” light housings are a bit more work to get his kit to fit correctly. If you are in the market for new headlight housings and plan on using David’s light kits you might drop him a line and verify which housings have worked successfully. JMHO

Maybe David will chime in on this subject. I was thinking the same thing about aftermarket light housings having enough room on hous the Deep Space power pack.

Al

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vegas Teacher, those look really sharp!!

For $70 on Amazon, I got a replacement headlight housing for my Freightliner.  They are definitely "Plane Jane" compared to the ones you got.  Amazon has Volvo assembly's from $250 to over $1,000 and most have pretty thorough reviews so you can judge the quality...gotta love Amazon!

Mine replaced the old foggy housing on the driver side.  Fits great and the old bulbs clipped right in.  Huge increase in brightness with the clear (vice cloudy lens)!

Could have focused on halogen bulbs, ballast, ignitors etc and obviously got more brightness/lumens.

However, the way I drive this big truck, never felt the need for more light. 

Totally different story when I was young, dumb and had a 300ZX.   Drove it a lot at night, up mountain roads, FASTER than my headlights could reach!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chad, I think you have the replacement normal round lights vs. integrated housings, right? If so, David pointed me to JWSpeaker lights and they are fantastic. I have the 5 x 7s, but they also have rounds: https://www.amazon.com/Speaker-Model-Evolution-7-inch-Headlight/dp/B075XY82J6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1545339089&sr=8-3&keywords=jwspeaker+headlights

Here's my writeup on my upgrade:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, lockmup68 said:

Chad, I think you have the replacement normal round lights vs. integrated housings, right? If so, David pointed me to JWSpeaker lights and they are fantastic. I have the 5 x 7s, but they also have rounds: https://www.amazon.com/Speaker-Model-Evolution-7-inch-Headlight/dp/B075XY82J6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1545339089&sr=8-3&keywords=jwspeaker+headlights

Here's my writeup on my upgrade:

 

Thanks.  Those have been added to my Amazon wish list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, COFLTravler said:

So......has anyone figured out if we can install David's kit into these? David?

 

Mark

2X. I wonder the same thing. I need to change out my light housings in 2019.

Al

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had limited experience with these, but it wasn't good.  A customer that already had these housings was getting warranty replacements at MATS because part of the LED turn signals were failing, and wanted to upgrade the light output.  If memory serves me correctly, the projectors on these can be removed, but have a different bolt pattern than the standard kit (some of the aftermarket lights mold in part of the projector, which doesn't hold up well at all and can't be replaced--so it could be worse).  I found a set of brackets to match the projector, and as far as I know they worked.

He eventually got back to me wanting a set of stock housings with the upgrade installed, as the turn signals started failing again and the company said they wouldn't replace them a second time.   I'm not sure if that was actually the case--I made the mistake of sending out housings with the upgrade and only charged the difference in cost with the understanding I'd get the original set back.  After 2 years, I'd say the odds of getting it back is slim.  C'est la vie...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Nuke-E said:

I've had limited experience with these, but it wasn't good.  A customer that already had these housings was getting warranty replacements at MATS because part of the LED turn signals were failing, and wanted to upgrade the light output.  If memory serves me correctly, the projectors on these can be removed, but have a different bolt pattern than the standard kit (some of the aftermarket lights mold in part of the projector, which doesn't hold up well at all and can't be replaced--so it could be worse).  I found a set of brackets to match the projector, and as far as I know they worked.

He eventually got back to me wanting a set of stock housings with the upgrade installed, as the turn signals started failing again and the company said they wouldn't replace them a second time.   I'm not sure if that was actually the case--I made the mistake of sending out housings with the upgrade and only charged the difference in cost with the understanding I'd get the original set back.  After 2 years, I'd say the odds of getting it back is slim.  C'est la vie...

Hi David,

Thanks for your comments. I think I just might stay with the stock replacements. Is Depo brand a good replacement choice for the stock housings ?

Al

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, COFLTravler said:

Okay so I'm a little slow tonight.....does anyone know are the DEPO lights the same as Eagle Eyes?

 

Mark

Hi Mark,

I am glad that you brought up that question. I ordered new head light housing for my truck. I did my research before I placed my order. I wanted the DEPO brand. The product description stated the brand was DEPO. When I received my housings the words Eagle Eyes were on the boxes. I could not find the word DEPO anywhere. I even looked at the housings and could not find any words saying DEPO. So I don't know if I have DEPO housings or not. Hopefully David will see this and make a comment or too.

Al

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am expecting to pull the trigger on new lights for the truck in the next couple if weeks.  I had a bad experience in Kentucky with a rural road with all the painted lines worn away. The lights on the truck are so bad I was unable to differentiate the edge of the road at all.

I am leaning towards David's deep space lights, my housings are still in very good shape.  I would like to hear from some of you how the longevity of the bulbs and transformers are.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Before I retired I ran David’s lights in my truck for almost two years.  They were on for about five hours a day when driving and five days a week.  Still running them but the truck probably runs about two hundred hours per year now.  They have always performed flawlessly.  

Nigel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

RVers Online University

campgroundviews.com

Our program provides accurate individual wheel weights for your RV, toad, and tow vehicle, and will help you trim the pounds if you need to.

Rv Share

Rv Insurance Benefits.com Logo

Dish For My RV.

Find out more or sign up for Escapees RV'ers Bootcamp.

Advertise your product or service here.

AGS Now Hiring

RV Pet Safety

Cummins Home Generators

RVTravel.com Logo



×
×
  • Create New...