Bling for my truck

Vegas Teacher

Just got these today:

https://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server1500/c824d/product_images/attribute_rule_images/27426_zoom_1441747614.jpg

Theses came for the Volvo today. Got tired of being to dark at night. Going to add deep space to them this spring. Getting them and the direct link hooked up after I get back from Christmas vacation.

Nice.  I need to find a good replacement for the lights in my Kenworth one of these days.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Put the same lights on my rig about a month ago. Very nice lights but need to figure out how to adjust them as I drive with high beams on as low beams point at the ground about 10' in front of the truck. I always forget to adjust them after I'm done driving... I must be getting old and forgetful!!

8 hours ago, Vegas Teacher said:

Just got these today:

https://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server1500/c824d/product_images/attribute_rule_images/27426_zoom_1441747614.jpg

Theses came for the Volvo today. Got tired of being to dark at night. Going to add deep space to them this spring. Getting them and the direct link hooked up after I get back from Christmas vacation.

Hi Cory,

Nice looking lights. I have a question for you. Do those light housing take the stock light set-up ?

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

10 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

Nice.  I need to find a good replacement for the lights in my Kenworth one of these days.

Chad,

Have you looked in Raneys. I am pretty impressed with them. The online catalog and website seperates stuff out by truck, make and model. I am still old fashion enough that I like a catalog that I can keep on the bed stand but the online is pretty good too.

I posted an address in the other posting I did recently on here.

Hey Happy Holidays to you and yours!

Later,

Cory O

1 hour ago, Vegas Teacher said:

Al,

I spoke with two people at Raneys and the said they were plug and play. The lights go good reviews.

Thanks Cory for the answer. I need to replace my head light housings. I do have have The Deep Space Lighting in my truck right now. I was hoping if I go with those housings my Deep Space Lighting will work.

Al

OK guys.  I'm getting confused now!  That can be pretty easy.

So these lights we are talking about are NOT the Deep Space Lighting lights sold be Davidat www.deepspacelighting.com?  These are just the housing for a set of lights (bulbs) which could be the Deep space lighting bulbs.

I thought maybe at first, someone else was now selling David's lights since his are pretty superior to what else is out there on the market.  Maybe he expanded his dealer network?

I probably just got cornfused!!!!

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Rocky,

Those lights are for the newer trucks than you and I have.  For our trucks, ya gotta buy the whole thing as one unit, unless David has done something different since I got mine.  I love 'em.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Yes Rick.  That I know.  I was just trying to get some clarification for others looking for the new trucks.

I did purchase the other lights that David recommended and from a company that he suggested. Just installed them a couple of weeks ago, soon as I could turn a wrench!   Not his, but will probably do his sometime in the future.  Just waiting to pull the trigger with some $$.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Something to keep in mind.... David has mentioned in the past some of the “aftermarket” light housings are a bit more work to get his kit to fit correctly. If you are in the market for new headlight housings and plan on using David’s light kits you might drop him a line and verify which housings have worked successfully. JMHO

13 hours ago, DesertMiner said:

Something to keep in mind.... David has mentioned in the past some of the “aftermarket” light housings are a bit more work to get his kit to fit correctly. If you are in the market for new headlight housings and plan on using David’s light kits you might drop him a line and verify which housings have worked successfully. JMHO

Maybe David will chime in on this subject. I was thinking the same thing about aftermarket light housings having enough room on hous the Deep Space power pack.

Al

Vegas Teacher, those look really sharp!!

For $70 on Amazon, I got a replacement headlight housing for my Freightliner.  They are definitely "Plane Jane" compared to the ones you got.  Amazon has Volvo assembly's from $250 to over $1,000 and most have pretty thorough reviews so you can judge the quality...gotta love Amazon!

Mine replaced the old foggy housing on the driver side.  Fits great and the old bulbs clipped right in.  Huge increase in brightness with the clear (vice cloudy lens)!

Could have focused on halogen bulbs, ballast, ignitors etc and obviously got more brightness/lumens.

However, the way I drive this big truck, never felt the need for more light. 

Totally different story when I was young, dumb and had a 300ZX.   Drove it a lot at night, up mountain roads, FASTER than my headlights could reach!!!

2094790416_NewHorizonsmall.jpg.b597b886c0fa2457938fb2cfe3e6cd0b.jpg

2010 Freightliner, DD15 Eaton Ultrashift, 2015 New Horizons 5th Wheel.

Occupants - Dena/Brad/Hershey    BLOG LINK

500964784_statemapDec2020.jpg.66ea16945a2c1c745783b95e33e702c9.jpg

Chad, I think you have the replacement normal round lights vs. integrated housings, right? If so, David pointed me to JWSpeaker lights and they are fantastic. I have the 5 x 7s, but they also have rounds: https://www.amazon.com/Speaker-Model-Evolution-7-inch-Headlight/dp/B075XY82J6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1545339089&sr=8-3&keywords=jwspeaker+headlights

Here's my writeup on my upgrade:

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

8 hours ago, lockmup68 said:

Chad, I think you have the replacement normal round lights vs. integrated housings, right? If so, David pointed me to JWSpeaker lights and they are fantastic. I have the 5 x 7s, but they also have rounds: https://www.amazon.com/Speaker-Model-Evolution-7-inch-Headlight/dp/B075XY82J6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1545339089&sr=8-3&keywords=jwspeaker+headlights

Here's my writeup on my upgrade:

Thanks.  Those have been added to my Amazon wish list.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, COFLTravler said:

So......has anyone figured out if we can install David's kit into these? David?

Mark

2X. I wonder the same thing. I need to change out my light housings in 2019.

Al

I've had limited experience with these, but it wasn't good.  A customer that already had these housings was getting warranty replacements at MATS because part of the LED turn signals were failing, and wanted to upgrade the light output.  If memory serves me correctly, the projectors on these can be removed, but have a different bolt pattern than the standard kit (some of the aftermarket lights mold in part of the projector, which doesn't hold up well at all and can't be replaced--so it could be worse).  I found a set of brackets to match the projector, and as far as I know they worked.

He eventually got back to me wanting a set of stock housings with the upgrade installed, as the turn signals started failing again and the company said they wouldn't replace them a second time.   I'm not sure if that was actually the case--I made the mistake of sending out housings with the upgrade and only charged the difference in cost with the understanding I'd get the original set back.  After 2 years, I'd say the odds of getting it back is slim.  C'est la vie...

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

21 hours ago, Nuke-E said:

I've had limited experience with these, but it wasn't good.  A customer that already had these housings was getting warranty replacements at MATS because part of the LED turn signals were failing, and wanted to upgrade the light output.  If memory serves me correctly, the projectors on these can be removed, but have a different bolt pattern than the standard kit (some of the aftermarket lights mold in part of the projector, which doesn't hold up well at all and can't be replaced--so it could be worse).  I found a set of brackets to match the projector, and as far as I know they worked.

He eventually got back to me wanting a set of stock housings with the upgrade installed, as the turn signals started failing again and the company said they wouldn't replace them a second time.   I'm not sure if that was actually the case--I made the mistake of sending out housings with the upgrade and only charged the difference in cost with the understanding I'd get the original set back.  After 2 years, I'd say the odds of getting it back is slim.  C'est la vie...

Hi David,

Thanks for your comments. I think I just might stay with the stock replacements. Is Depo brand a good replacement choice for the stock housings ?

Al

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, COFLTravler said:

Okay so I'm a little slow tonight.....does anyone know are the DEPO lights the same as Eagle Eyes?

Mark

Hi Mark,

I am glad that you brought up that question. I ordered new head light housing for my truck. I did my research before I placed my order. I wanted the DEPO brand. The product description stated the brand was DEPO. When I received my housings the words Eagle Eyes were on the boxes. I could not find the word DEPO anywhere. I even looked at the housings and could not find any words saying DEPO. So I don't know if I have DEPO housings or not. Hopefully David will see this and make a comment or too.

Al

I am expecting to pull the trigger on new lights for the truck in the next couple if weeks.  I had a bad experience in Kentucky with a rural road with all the painted lines worn away. The lights on the truck are so bad I was unable to differentiate the edge of the road at all.

I am leaning towards David's deep space lights, my housings are still in very good shape.  I would like to hear from some of you how the longevity of the bulbs and transformers are.

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

Before I retired I ran David’s lights in my truck for almost two years.  They were on for about five hours a day when driving and five days a week.  Still running them but the truck probably runs about two hundred hours per year now.  They have always performed flawlessly.  

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

Archived