dewilso

Converter as Charger

I have a WFCO 55A converter that I replaced with a inverter/Charger in my MH. I’m thinking of using it as a battery charger in my shop... see any issues?

While I am not a fan of WFCO products, I see no reason why this should not work reasonably well. It won't do all of the things that a good battery charger will, but it will charge a battery and should serve well enough for intermittent use like would be the case in most shops. My primary issues were of longevity and reliability and those should be much less issue in your kind of use.  The WFCO website says that you do have 3 stage charging ability.

Edited by Kirk W

Dewilso, I don't forsee any big problem using it as a "shop battery charger". After all its designed to take 120 VAC and charge/maintain a 12 VDC battery or supply loads RIGHT ???

HOWEVER in the event its a "dumb" non multi stage "smart" charger I would be hesitant to stick it on a battery and leave it unattended for hours on end as it could over charge a battery. Some of the early charger/converters were more of a fixed voltage power supply and could harm a battery if left on too long.    I have an old one at home Ive used to charge batteries and it "worked" but it didn't have any regulation whatsoever. 

Good luck n best wishes

John T  Live dry camped in Magnolia Beach Texas headed to Matagorda Bay