To use multiple inveters or large inveter

GlennWest

Been researching Magnum and Victron inverters. Most know this. I am planning a Chevy volt battery and run Teton off of it. If using Magnum, I see two or three 4400 units. Victron goes up to 15000 in a single unit. The larger unit will be less wiring. Really don't think I will need that much wattage though. Using it for example. I know they will watts at idle. Victron and Magnum do well in this area though unlike cheaper units. So any drawback going to single unit vs muluple. also just found the 15000 unit is 50 mhz. opps. They have a 10000 60 mhz. Also I don't see where one can get 220v with the Victron. 2 outputs but one is just for shore power.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Watching. Also anxiously awaiting the system being installed in a Spacecraft currently under construction. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Going with 2 smaller units gives a sense of redundancy.  If you lose 1 unit you only use 1/2 or 1/3 of your house and a temporary wire jump can keep you living.  If you have 1 large unit and it fails, you lose everything until you can replace it.   

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

20 minutes ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

Going with 2 smaller units gives a sense of redundancy.  If you lose 1 unit you only use 1/2 or 1/3 of your house and a temporary wire jump can keep you living.  If you have 1 large unit and it fails, you lose everything until you can replace it.   

Yes, this is the only thing that jumps out at me. Simplified wiring would be nice though. Fewer connections also mean less opportunity for bad connections and diagnosing problems. Does anyone have multiple Magnums? I guess the only other area of concern is if the separate units somehow can create problems for each other which you would avoid with a single big unit.

Dave and Lana Hasper

12 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

Thanks but social media, especially fb not place I want to get info.

I understand that, but many will give you more honest opinions about how the company treated them when an inverter quit in the middle of nowhere.  Magnum inverters have a good reputation, Victron has had issues with support equipment.  

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Yes, with Magnum I would have to use 2 or possibly 3 units.I know they are very robust. I have not heard of problems with Victron, This is new to me. Victron actually make an all in one unit. Talk about simple wiring. Limited to 5k and no mention of expansion though.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Why would you want that large of an inverter?   Are you sure you need/want something that large?  The larger the inverter, the greater the idle consumption of the inverter.  The greater the cost as well.  I bought a couple of Aimes inverter/charger with transfer switch.  They have many dip switches & mode switches for flexible charging & programing.  There quality is good, lower price point, & above average customer service.   The 3K unit died while off grid, & I bought a 2K and had it installed 5 days later.  I got the 3K repaired under warranty, now have a back up.  I prefer the 2K over the 3K because of idle consumption.  I believe the 3K draws 65 watts at idle, the 2K draws 30 watts at idle, this being with no load.  If I had a residential fridge, & maybe you do, I would wire up a 1K inverter to power that appliance by itself.  A couple people on this site have done that.  That sounds like a nice battery you plan to use, but heating hot water or running an A/C still is not too practical.  There is still a lot more energy in gasoline & propane for those larger draw items.   Anyway, there are lots of people on this site that can give you great advice.  

Mini split is the ac and yes they will run on a Volt battery, it is being done. Know we will need more than 4500 watt. We use gas for hot water. The Aims inverter/charger has some 7k watt units with 48v. I hear conflicting reports on them though. The entire Teton will run off the battery. Think you missing this.

8 hours ago, GlennWest said:

Victron inverters.

Looking at this one it seems to me that they offer a nice range of outputs and one of them should supply all that you need. Their website states that split phase is available, which should meet your 240V needs, I think.  

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Kirk, unless you read something i didn't, that is only with multiple units. I found no stand alone Victron unit that supplies 230v 60hz, only 50hz, Magnum does. Looks to me if I want 230v going to have to go with Magnum. 

Personally if I were building another system today it would probably be an all Victron set up.  I would run two inverters, one for each leg of my 50 amp service and program them to also run 240 volt.  The Victron GUI remote is superior to Magnum’s remote in my opinion.  Victron has some nice remote monitoring options that Magnum does not offer.  Victron also offers many more options for solar charge controllers than Magnum does.  The dual inverter set up allows for some redundancy and can provide a lot of power assuming you have the battery and solar capacity to support them.

I say all this being a fan of Magnum products and currently using a full Magnum suite of equipment.  I am very happy with my Magnum stuff and wouldn’t trade my current system for Victron, but if I were starting from scratch with nothing I would most likely go Victron.  Take it for what it is worth, but that is what I will probably do the next time around in our next rig.  Of course if my DW has here way I won’t get the opportunity because she doesn’t want a new rig.  It’ll take a few years, but I think we will upgrade again after we retire (if I have anything to say about it ;).)

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Thank you, Chad. I spent most of yesterday reading up on Victron. Do you think 10k total be enough? We do have a clothes dryer. Specs state it is 1850 watts.  Can't find a gas one that fits, I have tried. Residential fridge. Mini split. My proposed mini split is rated at 3530 watts max in heat mode which is highest. That would leave 4800 watts for microwave, lights, coffee??? options there, tv, computers, etc. 

10K should be enough, but without actually adding up all the potential wattage of every appliance in your rig I can't say for sure.  If you are talking about two 5k inverters with one for each line of the 50 amp service (like I described above), then you also need to look at how all of your appliances/draws are distributed between line 1 and line 2 to make sure 5K will be enough for each line.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

I can't decide which way to go. 5k has less idle draw amps but 2 5ks is more idle draw than a 10k. So I don't see an advantage. I know to arrange breakers for equal loads. 

Input voltage will be 48v. The Volt battery is 17kw. The solar planned is 350w residential panels, 8 or 10. I should be able to fit 10. With the mini splits should have no shading problems. May cut off vents and shorten. May not need to. Idle draw is only reason, other than redundancy, I see for multiple smaller units.  

I have a friend Justin Ford that runs a DIY solar page that did 6 battle borns and dual Victron hybrid inverter installs on his 5th wheel. He has a video on the setup I'll share below.

There is lost of good info on the solar groups on FB. Rob Kenny runs another one and he's done some impressive work with his setup and currently hes working on making the solar the primary source of power. So even if hes' hooked up to shore power, he only draws power from the pole if he gets below a certain threshold.

The RV solar page Justin runs - https://www.facebook.com/groups/RVSolarDIY/

This is the Solar page Rob Kenny Runs - https://www.facebook.com/groups/2589581644599315/

This is a link Rob has on his Solar/Inverter setup using ESS - https://www.facebook.com/groups/2589581644599315/permalink/2728162940741184/

Another question. Have you looked into a 48v mini split so you aren't having to run that through such a large inverter and it would be more efficient? My buddy Michael built his own RV in a cargo trailer around a 48v system specifically for his mini split. I don't think he's written up anything on it, but this is his solar section. - https://rvtrek.org/solar/

Justin's Video - 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

3 hours ago, GlennWest said:

Input voltage will be 48v. The Volt battery is 17kw. 

Nice.  I like simple, so I'd opt for just one inverter, and if you have the big bucks, which it sounds like you do,  carry another in case of failure.  

I have 48v also, a Relion 100ah steel case Lithium, and a single Cotek 4kw inverter..  Not nearly as robust as what you're doing, but it works.  Higher input voltage is nice.

Just not familiar with the Volt's charging specs.

On the 48v mini splits. I thought I had already posted about it, No cassettes that I can find. Limited to 18k. So I would have to have 2 outside units, 2 wall units. There is nowhere in my bedroom for a wall unit. I love the techology but don't see me being able to use it.

Archived