Getting ready to head to Arizona

Troy

Hey folks getting ready to head for Arizona in a couple weeks!! Maiden voyage for the kenworth. Been a lot of prep as I’m new to the hdt pulling my trailer. What do you guys and ladies carry for spare parts and tools?? I have my normal kit rubber and plastic airline, fittings, belts, have a spare alternator ,(came with the truck), fuel filters,chunk of rad hose and heater hose. Tools I have my normal kit all 3 size socket sets etc. Anything I’m missing?? 

That pretty much covers it. I also carry an air hose. I have an air fitting plumbed into the trailer supply line for airing up tires. I can also run an air impact wrench off that. The line charges when I push the red button. I also carry a 12 ton bottle Jack and torque amplifier. If I have to I can change my own tires. 

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Thanks Jenamdjon. I’m gonna put a air line on today. I wasn’t sure if it would run a impact. I have always had them on my other trucks but have never tried a impact. I do have a bottle jack to but only for the trailer tires. If it’s the truck the tire shop can handle that lol. What torque reducer do you use?? I never thought about having on of those either!! Lol. 

I really don't know what brand it is. Its the $65 one. I got my boss to pay for it. It sits in our service truck until I go on a trip then I steal it.  If you are not going to change truck tires yourself you really don't need one. Ive been changing semi truck tires since I was old enough to flip one over. I just figured if I blew one I could take that one off and run single until I got someplace rather than pay a service call.

You have a good list of tools.

You may consider a handheld voltmeter, assortment of stranded wire, shrink sleeving, soldering iron, a roll of self fusing silicone tape, duct tape, electrical tape, tie wraps (real ones), and for what it costs, a governor.

Me, I think my fuel mileage may be impacted by the "what if" stuff that I carry.  

Have a good one

Rich

2009 Volvo 780 D16 535hp 1850 ft-lbs I shift 3.36

Thermo King Tripac APU

DIY Bed and Frame Extension

ET Hitch, Stellar EC2000, EcoGen 6K

2002 F350 CC Dually w/ Lance 1181

2012 Mini Cooper S

2007 Teton Royal Freedom

" The only place you will find success before work is the dictionary "

Truck 100K.jpg

9 hours ago, Troy said:

Hey folks getting ready to head for Arizona in a couple weeks!! Maiden voyage for the kenworth. Been a lot of prep as I’m new to the hdt pulling my trailer. What do you guys and ladies carry for spare parts and tools?? I have my normal kit rubber and plastic airline, fittings, belts, have a spare alternator ,(came with the truck), fuel filters,chunk of rad hose and heater hose. Tools I have my normal kit all 3 size socket sets etc. Anything I’m missing?? 

Troy, good morning,

Having flown, driveinnnn , walked and....crawled to Arizona much of my adult life I will recommend ONE vital item to take with you......interlocking foam floor mats........yep, those 1/2 inch thick foam floor mats that are sold shrink wrapped in six-packs at big box stores.......

Most of the time Arizona is.....dry and often the ground is fairly clean sand so it's easy to get down on you knees or crawl under your rig......however....it what is in that sand that HURTS......a lot......Cholla spines are the same color as sand and that ALWAYS insert into your skin at the first touch.....ALLWAYS.....if the Cholla spines don't get your full attention then the scorpion'$ Shure will......these buggers will put the BIG-HURT on you if you get or.....roll on top of them ......use the foam rubbers mats and enjoy far less pain..

Drive on.......(don't sit on the...."$tingy-thingys-in-AZ)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

4 hours ago, Mastercraft said:

You have a good list of tools.

You may consider a handheld voltmeter, assortment of stranded wire, shrink sleeving, soldering iron, a roll of self fusing silicone tape, duct tape, electrical tape, tie wraps (real ones), and for what it costs, a governor.

Me, I think my fuel mileage may be impacted by the "what if" stuff that I carry.  

Have a good one

Rich

Thanks Rich!! Ya I’m running outta a room already lol!! 

4 hours ago, Wrknrvr said:

Maybe put a air governor in the storage compartment. Also at least a 10 amp battery charger. Fix a flat type stuff.

Also a quart of fuel for priming.

Just in case,.   Vern

Thank you Vern I almost forgot about my charger!! Lol I us ATF for priming my fuel filter I always carry a couple bottles. I do have a good tire plug kit that I have had in 4 other trucks but have never used it lol!! 

1 hour ago, Dollytrolley said:

Troy, good morning,

Having flown, driveinnnn , walked and....crawled to Arizona much of my adult life I will recommend ONE vital item to take with you......interlocking foam floor mats........yep, those 1/2 inch thick foam floor mats that are sold shrink wrapped in six-packs at big box stores.......

Most of the time Arizona is.....dry and often the ground is fairly clean sand so it's easy to get down on you knees or crawl under your rig......however....it what is in that sand that HURTS......a lot......Cholla spines are the same color as sand and that ALWAYS insert into your skin at the first touch.....ALLWAYS.....if the Cholla spines don't get your full attention then the scorpion'$ Shure will......these buggers will put the BIG-HURT on you if you get or.....roll on top of them ......use the foam rubbers mats and enjoy far less pain..

Thank Dollytrolley I will have to look at a yoga mat lol!! But I will take your advice and be careful lol!  Thank you!! 

4 hours ago, chief916 said:

Along with all the above mentioned tools and parts I carry position sensors for my motor, tie wraps also since I've replaced my air springs, I carry a used in good shape air spring.  Couple of gallons of motor oil and gallon of antifreeze.

Thank chief I will definitely throw in some oil and a few jugs of antifreeze. I will have about six jugs of water too in the trailer for my coffee!! My air bags are in good shape too but I do have my good old vice grips to isolate a bag if I have too!! But I ll have to put that on my to get list !!

I have a some plastic tool boxes with the semi-transparent snap in trays on top that I use for different tasks.  The biggest is my electrical repair box with connectors, wire, zip ties, tape 12 v. soldering iron, heat shrink, volt meter, etc.  Another has all my air fittings, governor, scraps of air line, DOT fitting repair parts, etc.  On top of these, I carry a fair amount of tools.  Dedicated to the truck is a set of Torx bits and Torx screw drivers.  I also have one of those cheap plastic ford-out tool kits, I believe it's a Stanley brand.  Almost junk, but they'll get you out of a jam.  Couple of hammers, and the sense to know when to NOT use them.  Vise grips, and get the real deal, not the cheap imitations.  Same with slip joint pliers.  Buy the best.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Bed Rug makes a mat called Track Mat, it has saved me once on a road breakdown. And is invaluable doing general chores. Saves your knees and back 

https://www.amazon.com/Bedrug-TW2X4MAT-TrailerWare-Charcoal-Folding/dp/B0097JQ32O/ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1544396071&sr=1-4&keywords=Track+mat

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

2009 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

formerly owned 2000 Volvo 770, 600 Cummins ISX,18 speed autoshift, 14 foot "garage"

ET,Jackalopee,MaxBrake,Pressure Pro pro

www.rickandalanasgreatadventures.blogspot.com

Attached (I hope) is a text file with a parts and tools list.  I used this post and the two prior posts of the same topic and created a rather long list.  It is not my intention that anyone should feel they need all this stuff.  Some wise people here have said you don't need what you can't use and you don't need what you will not use.  Therefore, this is a list of all the things members have said they carry and sometimes use.  I did leave off some of the myriad things Randy and Charlie carry for their winter trips to FL.  

Therefore, this is a list that is intended to list the things you might want to consider carrying in your rig. 

Also, I would like to improve the list and will add most anything to it.  Please let me know what I have left off.

See you in Crossville!  Chet

HDT Special parts and tool list.txt

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

7 hours ago, NeverEasy said:

We kick this around every six months or so.  Here is the link to the last go.

Thanks Nevereasy!! I got my multimeter test light truck has a amp gauge so should be good there!! Lol but ya never know right ?? Lol 

5 hours ago, Wrknrvr said:

I forgot tire chains.

Just in case,.   Vern

Thanks Vern!! Yes I have a set of triples and a set of singles. As much as I despise them I have the hanging on the truck. I’m from Alberta Canada and you don’t go any where with out them. Actually I had to throw a set on to move the truck in my yard the other day lmao!! 

7 hours ago, Rick & Alana said:

Bed Rug makes a mat called Track Mat, it has saved me once on a road breakdown. And is invaluable doing general chores. Saves your knees and back 

https://www.amazon.com/Bedrug-TW2X4MAT-TrailerWare-Charcoal-Folding/dp/B0097JQ32O/ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1544396071&sr=1-4&keywords=Track+mat

Thank you!! I ll have to get one of those!! 

4 hours ago, NeverEasy said:

Attached (I hope) is a text file with a parts and tools list.  I used this post and the two prior posts of the same topic and created a rather long list.  It is not my intention that anyone should feel they need all this stuff.  Some wise people here have said you don't need what you can't use and you don't need what you will not use.  Therefore, this is a list of all the things members have said they carry and sometimes use.  I did leave off some of the myriad things Randy and Charlie carry for their winter trips to FL.  

Therefore, this is a list that is intended to list the things you might want to consider carrying in your rig. 

Also, I would like to improve the list and will add most anything to it.  Please let me know what I have left off.

See you in Crossville!  Chet

HDT Special parts and tool list.txt

The only thing I saw was a spare air to air hose and clamps. I have always carried one of those and a Leveling valve. But that is a great list!! Thank you!! 

19 hours ago, Dollytrolley said:

Troy, good morning,

I prefer to use the RV roll up mats for my Georgia creeper.

They can also be used as an RV mat:)

https://www.amazon.com/Reversible-Mats-159183-9-Feet-18-Feet/dp/B0042U4YFQ

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

You don't have to get too carried away. Preventative maintenance goes a long way. The boy scout in me wants to have enough tools and parts to build an engine on the road. Be Prepared. But in all actuality I figure I have driven a little over 500,000 miles long haul before I quit. 4 times i have been stuck on the side of the road. Heater hose blew. Flat on steer tire. Water pump went out. Blew radiator hose. I did lose a turbo once but luckily I was close to a truck stop. So really you don't need to go overboard. Have enough stuff to fix the small stuff. The big stuff you will not likely be able to fix on the side of the road anyway.

I have to keep telling myself No you don't need every wrench you own. 2 of each size is plenty. No you don't need 5 hammers. 2 is plenty. Why are you bringing 40 screwdrivers? Put half of them back.

The boy scout in me did win the argument about the extra air compressor. I have a little one from harbor freight I use to carry. Now the truck has a built in one. Don't need it. But if the truck compressor goes out I can hook in the little electric one to air up the truck.

Howdy Troy -

Bring some Sweetgrass as a gift. Glooskap the trickster he sometimes appears as  “Chainup”. May he be benevolent to you in your travels. 

- I contacted AMA Roadside when I officially became a Hobby Trucker and they don’t cover a truck. “But my Kenworth is noteven fully growed!” I whined... 

“Nope.” 

I have Coach-net. 

KW is well represented in the west if you ever need that one part you forgot.

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Archived