Volvo Refrigerator Fixed for $184

Radar274

Our OEM Frig had a mind of it’s own, it usually worked when we were traveling down the road but not always when we were parked.  I am a complete layman when it comes to refrigeration, so when the Frig finally came to rest on our last trip I thought I would just replace it with a new one.  NOT…. have you priced one of these units?  WOW Lots of $$$$$ from Volvo. I didn’t have any luck finding a new or used one on the web at a reasonable price. So I started Googling how to troubleshoot these refrigerators and found some good links on the boating forums. I read that the Danfoss compressors used in these refrigerators are very robust and 90% of the time the issues are electrical.  I followed the links from the forums and watched videos until I finally had the confidence to tear into it… What did I have to lose it was already toast.  The trouble shooting videos had 2 easy suggestions to try.  First run wire directly from the batteries to make sure you have good power to the refrigerator.  I did that and it still didn’t work, the fan and compressor would try to start for a second and then stop. The next suggestion was to unplug the fan because if it was drawing too much the controller would shut everything off.  Bingo… unplugged the fan motor and the compressor fired up.  I then connected the fan directly to the battery (not thru the controller) so it would run all the time and plugged the refrigerator in to see if the compressor would keep running… success.  I ordered a fan and plugged it into the controller when it came, it ran for a second and shut off.  The controller in our refrigerator is an older model and I had read they have been known to fail from low voltage and heat so I ordered one and everything is working and DW is very happy.  I did run new wire from the batteries to the refrigerator(10 awg) because I found that I only had 11.4 volts at the refrigerator plug when it was running using the factory wire harness. The only problem with this is the trucks low voltage module shut off will not turn the refrigerator off to save the batteries.

Links: www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f115/fridge-failure-danfoss-bd35f-motor-start-failure-198560.html

Youtube: penguin refrigeration troubleshooting videos

Youtube: CoolBlue Marine Refrigeration Troubleshooting Part 1 Electrical Issues

Fan $34: Mouser electronics www.mouser.com ebm-papst / DC Fans MFG Part No: 4412FML

https://www.mccombssupply.com/secop-101n0212-electronic-controller-for-bd35f-and-bd50f-mobile-dc-compressors/

Controller $150: Secop 101N0212 Electronic Controller for BD35F and BD50F Mobile DC Compressors  $150

Bob

Bob&Kay
2012 VNL730 I Shift D13 2.47 ratio
2018 Mobile Suites 40 kssb4

Great reference material Bob. Thanks for doing all the heavy lifting, you just made this easy for the rest of us.

Sounds like this should go in the Resource Guide?? 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

14 hours ago, Big5er said:

Great reference material Bob. Thanks for doing all the heavy lifting, you just made this easy for the rest of us.

Sounds like this should go in the Resource Guide?? 

2X. On the Resource Guide. 

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Just an added note.  I found the condenser coils completely blocked with dust.  The refrigerator condenser can be inspected very easily by removing 3 torques bolts, one on top and 2 on the bottom.  This is going to be a yearly maintenance item for us.

Bob&Kay

21 hours ago, Radar274 said:

Just an added note.  I found the condenser coils completely blocked with dust.  The refrigerator condenser can be inspected very easily by removing 3 torques bolts, one on top and 2 on the bottom.  This is going to be a yearly maintenance item for us.

Radar,

Did you have to remove the frig to service it ? I know this is a rookie question.

Al

Al,

Yes, you have to slide the Refrigerator out of the cabinet area to clean and service.  This is done by removing the drawer above the Frig and taking out the torques bolt on the hinge side of the door.  Then open the frig door and remove the 2 torques bolts on the floor which holds the frig in tracks.  The frig slides out on the tracks mounted to the floor.  It might be a little sticky at first but it will slide out.  I found the old fan was good and It didn't need to be replaced.  The control module has been improved and it is plug and play. 

PS:  The condenser coil was completely blocked with fur balls and maybe that's why the temp was either to warm or freezing all the drinks when it did work.

Bob

Bob&Kay

3 hours ago, Radar274 said:

Al,

Yes, you have to slide the Refrigerator out of the cabinet area to clean and service.  This is done by removing the drawer above the Frig and taking out the torques bolt on the hinge side of the door.  Then open the frig door and remove the 2 torques bolts on the floor which holds the frig in tracks.  The frig slides out on the tracks mounted to the floor.  It might be a little sticky at first but it will slide out.  I found the old fan was good and It didn't need to be replaced.  The control module has been improved and it is plug and play. 

PS:  The condenser coil was completely blocked with fur balls and maybe that's why the temp was either to warm or freezing all the drinks when it did work.

Bob

Thanks Bob for the tips.

Al

Yes, if you are talking about a relay to run the fan when the stat calls for cooling.  I ran the refrigerator for 5 days with the old control module and old fan after connecting the fan directly to a 12volt outlet. 120v refrigerators have a start relay mounted on the compressor  I think these 12v compressors only use  the control module to start.  I decided to install a new control module because it incorporates  soft start technology which puts less stress on the compressor at startup.  The old module must have drawn more current because it had a large heat sink and the new one doesn't.  The voltage using old module with Volvo OEM wiring was 11.4v, it was 11.9v-12.1 using the new module.     Ran new wire to be on the safe side.

Bob

Bob&Kay

Archived