South Carolina State Transport Police encounter

sclord2002

6 hours ago, bigredhdt said:

Is there a thread or link to the recommended contents of the 3 ring binder?

If I were a betting man, I'd say it's somewhere in the Resource Guide.  But I'm not, so I'll just tell you what I have.

Registration papers for truck and rv, insurance cards for same, copy of law in state of registration which show why I'm legal with truck registered as motor home.  All items are in clear sleeves, some things high lighted so officer might not have to read a whole page to find what he's looking for.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, rickeieio said:

If I were a betting man, I'd say it's somewhere in the Resource Guide.  But I'm not, so I'll just tell you what I have.

Registration papers for truck and rv, insurance cards for same, copy of law in state of registration which show why I'm legal with truck registered as motor home.  All items are in clear sleeves, some things high lighted so officer might not have to read a whole page to find what he's looking for.

Just like Rick mentioned with the highlighting to help the officer find what he is looking for, I recommend a table of contents.  Add a copy of your state's law on the type of DL they require for your vehicle too.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

I was reading the link TreyandSusan posted and found an interesting statement.     Texas allows RV titled trucks and semi tractors to tow RV trailer, no mention of other types of trailers.     From this one could infer that a utility, car or horse trailer can NOT be towed by a Texas RV big truck?      Several folks here have mentioned using their trucks to tow other types of trailers, none in Texas.      So Texas RV trucks are limited in the type of trailers they can tow.      At least according to the letter of the law?

Steve   

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

22 hours ago, Big5er said:

Just like Rick mentioned with the highlighting to help the officer find what he is looking for, I recommend a table of contents.  Add a copy of your state's law on the type of DL they require for your vehicle too.

Hi Everyone,

I understand that the officer would prefer the paper work not to be in a binder but to be loose.

I hope Phil will make a comment on my statement.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

14 minutes ago, alan0043 said:

Hi Everyone,

I understand that the officer would prefer the paper work not to be in a binder but to be loose.

Al

The nice North Dakota officer commented on our book during the window tint stop.  With everything highlighted and organized he said it helped him understand our legality.  

But your right about Phil.... he does love a disorganized mess to look thru to find the latest inspection sticker🤣

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

1 hour ago, alan0043 said:

Hi Everyone,

Al

I was stopped by Texas Highway Patrol this past Feb.  Officer complimented me on the binder, and thanked me for making his job easier.  I suppose each officer has his preferences.

That said, my binder has just the items an officer might need, nothing more.  Perhaps 3 sleeves total, front and back.  No index needed.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

1 hour ago, alan0043 said:

Hi Everyone,

Al

Al, personally I hate a wad of loose papers. There are usually 3 of everything except what I want. Drivers seem to just add to the pile rather than remove and replace. I like an nice binder. I can only speak for myself and the guys I work with though.

4 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

I was stopped by Texas Highway Patrol this past Feb.  Officer complimented me on the binder, and thanked me for making his job easier.  I suppose each officer has his preferences.

That said, my binder has just the items an officer might need, nothing more.  Perhaps 3 sleeves total, front and back.  No index needed.

Rick, that stuff (truck and trailer registrations/inspections along with insurance) is in the front of mine, but since we deal with so many other jurisdictions, with completely different rules and regs, I do have the extra stuff. That is another reason for my table of contents. Florida (for example) has a Class E license. My state has Class A, B, C and M. The A,B and C allow you to operate the same Class of vehicle as the Federal CDL's. What the hell is a Class E and what can you drive with one? Some states will not let you convert an HDT to a MH. Mine will and there is a copy of the law that says I can legally do it. Each state has their own rules. If it is all organized and he wants an answer, it is already there. If he doesn't want it then he will ignore it. 

2014 smart Fortwo

On 12/30/2018 at 3:19 PM, Steve from SoCal said:

I was reading the link TreyandSusan posted and found an interesting statement.     Texas allows RV titled trucks and semi tractors to tow RV trailer, no mention of other types of trailers.     From this one could infer that a utility, car or horse trailer can NOT be towed by a Texas RV big truck?      Several folks here have mentioned using their trucks to tow other types of trailers, none in Texas.      So Texas RV trucks are limited in the type of trailers they can tow.      At least according to the letter of the law?

Steve   

My limited memory of Texas law allows any type of trailer to be registered as a recreational vehicle, it does not have to have living quarters.  

Can’t find the cite right now.

98 379 with 12.7 DD

LG Dodge w/5.9 CTD

Chrome habit I’m trying to kick.

17 minutes ago, Exile said:

My limited memory of Texas law allows any type of trailer to be registered as a recreational vehicle, it does not have to have living quarters.  

Can’t find the cite right now.

According to the Texas motor vehicle registration manual an RV registered truck can only tow a boat, camper or travel trailer.

Vehicles to be Registered with Passenger License Plates Passenger license plates are issued to the following type vehicles, which contain living facilities: • Motor homes, • Permanently mounted camper units constructed on truck chassis, and • Reconstructed used trucks and buses converted to Motor Homes. Truck-tractor conversions that have fully self-contained accommodations for human habitation will be classified as a motor home and registered as a passenger vehicle, provided the vehicle will not be operated for commercial purposes. Such truck-tractors conversions may only pull a recreational vehicle (boat, travel trailer, camper). When converted truck-tractors are used for hire, or to pull trailers that represent commercial entities (racing vehicle trailer, competition horse trailer, vending trailer, etc.), they are subject to the laws for commercial vehicles, and should be registered with the appropriate license plates.

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

Big5er,

That agreement came only after Dan agreed to email me a case of Dr. Pepper.

Sorry for my late response - technical problems.

I purchased a 24 pack of Dr. Pepper and tried multiple ways of sending it.  I tried gmail and yahoo mail, but my stupid computer couldn't seem to send it.  So I tried my new Google Home device: Hey, Google, send Phil the case of Doctor Pepper.  Nothing seemed to happen for 10 seconds.  Then it said: "Huh?".  Useless!!!

I have premium, high-speed,  broad-band communications.  The Verizon ad said it would deliver everything I was dreaming of.  Well, I tried sleeping on it, and dreaming I sent it to you.  But the next morning the case of Dr. Pepper was still on the floor.  FALSE ADVERTISING!!!

Alas, it looks like I owe you one.  Hope to deliver it in person sometime in the future.

Dan

Volvo 770, New Horizons Majestic and an upcoming Smart car

2 hours ago, Steve from SoCal said:

According to the Texas motor vehicle registration manual an RV registered truck can only tow a boat, camper or travel trailer.

You guys are making a big deal out of nothing. Where are you getting your information? A Registration "MANUAL". It is not the Transportation Code. Do you see any violations listed in that book? Classes of offense? Punishment? That is the MANUAL for the title clerks to follow when they register a vehicle. It tells them what can be registered in what manner. Don't panic. The sky is not falling.

2014 smart Fortwo

2 hours ago, DanZemke said:

Big5er,

Sorry for my late response - technical problems.

I purchased a 24 pack of Dr. Pepper and tried multiple ways of sending it.  I tried gmail and yahoo mail, but my stupid computer couldn't seem to send it.  So I tried my new Google Home device: Hey, Google, send Phil the case of Doctor Pepper.  Nothing seemed to happen for 10 seconds.  Then it said: "Huh?".  Useless!!!

I have premium, high-speed,  broad-band communications.  The Verizon ad said it would deliver everything I was dreaming of.  Well, I tried sleeping on it, and dreaming I sent it to you.  But the next morning the case of Dr. Pepper was still on the floor.  FALSE ADVERTISING!!!

Alas, it looks like I owe you one.  Hope to deliver it in person sometime in the future.

Dan

Dan, you never can rely on the internet when you need it. Maybe once 5G comes about??

If we have to do it in person, then that's what we'll have to do. I'll see you then!!

2014 smart Fortwo

• 2 weeks later...

I know I am late to the thread . We have 3 trucks with multiple trailer the company owns. After 1 scalehouse stop and a driver panic attack we have " EVERYTHING" needed in a binder with tabs noting where to look. We now have zero issue when speaking with DOT or any LEO. The driver is not flustered and is quickly sent on our way. 

This is a bit off topic as its commercial vs RV but still a good idea

1999 Freightliner FL 60 Crew Cab SOLD
300 HP Cat, Allison 6 speed
2010 3912 Raptor Toyhauler SOLD
Dirt bikes and Quads

Coming soon 2005 Country Coach DaVinci Inspire Sold

2018 Rockwood Signature Ultralite  8328

Archived