South Carolina State Transport Police encounter

sclord2002

I had mentioned previously that high idle on my truck was 1650 RPM. Yesterday, I used the manual mode on my ultrashift to see what the engine would wind up to under load. The gonernor hold the engine to 2000 RPM under load.  I can only assume that the ECM holds the high idle RPM to 1650 instead of letting it go to to 2000 as it will under load. Has anyone else noteed anything similar to this ?  Just curious.      Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, sclord2002 said:

I had mentioned previously that high idle on my truck was 1650 RPM. Yesterday, I used the manual mode on my ultrashift to see what the engine would wind up to under load. The gonernor hold the engine to 2000 RPM under load.  I can only assume that the ECM holds the high idle RPM to 1650 instead of letting it go to to 2000 as it will under load. Has anyone else noteed anything similar to this ?  Just curious.      Charlie

Can’t answer your question Charlie, but dying to know about the police encounter.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Well, my topic posted without the story behind it.....so here it is.   On December 6th, we were returning to Greenville, SC from Charleston, SC. I was running 60 mph in a 70 mph zone and blue lights came on behind me.  I immediately pulled over and waited for the SC State Transport Police officer to come to the passenger side of the truck.  He stopped at the rear of the Smart car and stood there, looking at it for a few seconds and then came to the passenger door of the cab.  My wife opened the door and the officer asked if we were traveling.  My wife responded "yes".  He then asked for registration and drivers license, looked at them and said " I will be back in a minute" and went back to his car. I was puzzled as to why I was pulled over but figured he would eventually get around to telling me why I was stopped. Several agonizing minutes passed and he returned with our notebook containing registration, insurance and other info and drivers license, handed them back to my wife and said "I just wanted to make sure the car was properly secured." He then gave her a  "State of South Carolina Public Contact" form, stating the stop was "contact only". When I got home , I noticed that he had put a big X in a box labeled "CMV", which my  SC registered Motorhome [2006 Volvo 780] is definitely NOT.  Anyway, he was polite but businesslike, we were polite and only responded to his question with a simple"yes" and it all ended well with him pulling into the lane we would be entering and blocking traffic so we could pull back onto the roadway. I suspect he checked all of our info when he went back to his car and since he didn't know my picture is on the Post Office wall, he sent us on our way. May any future stops go as well as this one did.      Charlie

3 hours ago, sclord2002 said:

When I got home , I noticed that he had put a big X in a box labeled "CMV", which my  SC registered Motorhome [2006 Volvo 780] is definitely NOT. 

Charlie, this has been hashed out before but technically we do fit the legal definition of a "Commercial Motor Vehicle". There is an exemption from the regulations for Commercial Motor Vehicles being used to providing personal conveyance of passengers for recreational purposes. So basically we are CMV's that are exempt for the CMV regulations.  

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Nice story Charlie. We had almost an identical stop about 4-5 yrs ago. Only he said we should have hit the scale since we had a load on with the car.  

I didn’t comment just yes sir and he sent us on our way. Never acknowledged the MH reg. I never offered   

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

Do you have a CDL, commercial or not?  DMV inspector informs me if the rig is over 26001, A CDL is required in MD. Pointed out to him that second page of MDMVA handbook says exempted if vehicle has living quarters, he didn't budge.  Fortunately not a traffic stop situation, & he wasn't a LEO.

You'd have to see the movie to understand..........

Argo, I don't have a CDL but I do have the proper SC class F license. It states "Combination of non-commercial vehicles exceeding 26,000 lbs GVW. Includes class E, D and G. Includes trike- does not include MTC or MTC w/sidecar." Aparently the officer was satisfied, once he saw the 4 over-the-tire tie down straps were securely holding the car and that my license, registration and insurance were ok.  In SC, I don't need a class F license untill I hook the fifth-wheel to the truck. The SC requirements are based on GVW, not GVWR. My combination GVW is 43,000 lbs.....19,000 lbs camper and 24,000 truck and Smart Car.

When I ws taking the test for my class F, the examiner told me I should go ahead and get a CDL. She said the only additional requirements were a physical and about 5 to 10 minutes longer on the pre trip inspection portion of the test. I politely declined her suggestion and got the class F.            Charlie

Hi Charlie,

It sounds like the officer was ' fishing '. Must have been a slow day at work for him. Glad to hear that everything worked out just fine. Having all of your paper work together was a big help also.

See you this coming spring,
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

2 hours ago, alan0043 said:

Hi Charlie,

It sounds like the officer was ' fishing '. Must have been a slow day at work for him. Glad to hear that everything worked out just fine. Having all of your paper work together was a big help also.

See you this coming spring,
Al

Had a similar thing happen to me last winter in West Texas. Things went real smooth after I handed him the 3 ring binder with all my paperwork in sleeves.  Thanks Phil.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

40 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

Had a similar thing happen to me last winter in West Texas. Things went real smooth after I handed him the 3 ring binder with all my paperwork in sleeves.  Thanks Phil.

That's why I have always said that I anticipate being stopped every time I take a trip. The chances are it WILL happen to us sooner or later. It's best to be prepared and ready. 

Glad you think my advice helped Rick. Having the papers he wants and the answers he is looking for before he gets to it will never hurt. 

2014 smart Fortwo

After further checking, he was RIGHT. In the paragraph before the exemption (Maryland )it does state you still must have a non-commercial CDL minimum if you are over 26K of the correct class.

A word of warning to those who have a comm'l CDL- DO NOT, EVER forget to renew your medical cert. I didn't because I was not driving comm'l at the time, and now I have to go thru the entire procedure again to get it back. I was downgraded to a regular license w/o being told by MV. Pre-trip, parking/backing skills test and on road. It's costing me plenty to get it back to rent an "A"  truck, and I dare not try to take it on my RV because there would be a restriction on my license to only drive an auto trans (Autoshift) and also non-commercial.

You'd have to see the movie to understand..........

Phil, your advice about being prepared for a LEO encounter was right on target. Also the binder with the approiate documents that you suggested was a great idea.  I had missed the CMV discussions in the past, so I was not aware we could still be considered commercial motor vehicles. I really appreciate your insight and suggestions.  After all, that is what you do for a living. I am not overly smart but I know enough to pay attention to your posts.  Thank you !!         Charlie

2 hours ago, rickeieio said:

2X on Phil and the 3 ring binder.  Happened to us a few weeks ago on Hwy 9.  Our first time through Shelbyville IN. It's pretty small and a few blocks out of town the blue lights came on.  I had missed the truck route sign and so did the Dezl and the map. She asked me for my DL and Registration and as I handed her my book I said page 5 has the registration for both the truck and 5 wheel.  She handed the book back without even opening it and said all she need was my license as she had already run the plates and needed to verify they were registered to me.  She was very pleasant and said if we were registered Commercial it would have cost me for not following the truck route.  We wished each other a good day.  Moral of the story, have your book....... and look for the truck route signs 😀 Thanks again Phil

Bob&Kay
2012 VNL730 I Shift D13 2.47 ratio
2018 Mobile Suites 40 kssb4

3 hours ago, ARGO said:

After further checking, he was RIGHT. In the paragraph before the exemption (Maryland )it does state you still must have a non-commercial CDL minimum if you are over 26K of the correct class.

A word of warning to those who have a comm'l CDL- DO NOT, EVER forget to renew your medical cert. I didn't because I was not driving comm'l at the time, and now I have to go thru the entire procedure again to get it back. I was downgraded to a regular license w/o being told by MV. Pre-trip, parking/backing skills test and on road. It's costing me plenty to get it back to rent an "A"  truck, and I dare not try to take it on my RV because there would be a restriction on my license to only drive an auto trans (Autoshift) and also non-commercial.

My wife hasn't driven commercial for 16 years but still has her cdl every couple of years she has to self certfiy that she is not driving commercial. This year was a renual for her and the DMV clerk reminded her that she would need a physical if she went back to driving commercial. I wonder if this verys state to state?

In many states you can self certify your medical for Interstate CDL operations.    The federal mandate for med cards is for intrastate driving.     Another thing about CDL Vs Exempt licenses, in most states an Exempt license is good for 5 years, a CDL is every 4 years.     An exempt, class whatever or as some here call them "non commercial" CDL's that last one is an oxymoron but, are all you need.     A CDL is type of drivers license not a class unto itself.    

Charlie, sounds like you were bobtail when you were pulled over?     Think he would have bothered if you were pulling your camper?   

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

2 hours ago, Lance A Lott said:

My wife hasn't driven commercial for 16 years but still has her cdl every couple of years she has to self certfiy that she is not driving commercial. This year was a renual for her and the DMV clerk reminded her that she would need a physical if she went back to driving commercial. I wonder if this verys state to state?

I retain my SD CDL even though I don't drive commercially.  I file a self-certification when asked to do so.  I don't know if every state has the same policy, but I suspect most do.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Steve, I was pulling the camper at the time. About the only time I bobtail is to get cheaper fuel near home, get the oil changed or to exercise the truck a bit. i am excited to hear that your rig is coming along well.  We have an ongoing conflict with the date for the HDT rally in Hutch.......otherwise i would be seeing what you are up to every year.  Take care.     Charlie

50 minutes ago, Randyretired said:

Colorado requires a medical, no exceptions.  Without the medical they said all of my driving privileges would be denied.

Not according to this,

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/dmv/cdl-restrictions

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

9 hours ago, Steve from SoCal said:

In many states you can self certify your medical for Interstate CDL operations.    The federal mandate for med cards is for intrastate driving.    

Steve, swap your "inter" and "intra". The States allow exceptions for "intra"state operations. 

2014 smart Fortwo

Tn is a no health card no Commercial at all. They took mine because at that time, I could not get my Health card. Was told if I could get my card back. I had 5 years to get them back. Without taking everything again. So now if I were to get my Class A's back. I have to start over from scratch.

event.png

1 hour ago, Pete Kildow said:

Tn is a no health card no Commercial at all. They took mine because at that time, I could not get my Health card. Was told if I could get my card back. I had 5 years to get them back. Without taking everything again. So now if I were to get my Class A's back. I have to start over from scratch.

Are you sure of that?      A lot of clerks don't know the laws the enforce.

https://www.tn.gov/safety/driver-services/commercial-driver-license/cdlalt_faqs.html

Steve

Archived