2007 VNL 780 Bolt on bumper pull hitch

Foreverunstopable

I did weld mine but I don’t see any reason you couldn’t bolt it to the frame. There web site is very good!! This hitch I have is good for 1500lbs tongue weight and 15000lbs gross trailer weight capacity with a 2 inch receiver. 

I have put a lot of thought into this. I have decided to build my own. I am going to fabricate a full rear bumper with a receiver hitch. I need a step to get up on the bed anyway.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

2 hours ago, jenandjon said:

I have put a lot of thought into this. I have decided to build my own. I am going to fabricate a full rear bumper with a receiver hitch. I need a step to get up on the bed anyway.

Mine is integral to the bumper as seen here.  Works fine for my needs.z96R7vDl.jpg

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Mine will be a little different than that. I am going to square off the rear of my frame first then I am basically going to copy the curt mentioned above. Except it will be heavier than a Curt. The brackets will probably be 3/8. My rear bumper will be 8X8X3/8 square tube. The receiver will be integrated into the bumper or under it. I will measure how high of the receiver is on my pickup and use that height with air bags inflated. It will be a hair wider then my rear tires with caps on the ends so I can store stuff in there. I was not going to go that heavy but I got a good deal on a whole pile of the 8X8 on an auction. Once I get started I will document everything.

I have a friend that is truck builder. I have consulted with him already. Hes going to help me out. Make sure everything is done correctly and will be safe. I will probably have him fabricate my brackets Then all I have to do is weld it up and drill some holes.

I may want to take it a step farther and possibly mount boxes on either end of the bumper. Nothing real fancy,  just to put firewood or my chock and leveling blocks in. And stink bait.

That sounds great!!  I too had a ticketed welder install my hitch. I can do it but I was just worried about the what if’s right. Hat would be awesome to keep the ends open to store stuff!! My curt was pre welded so SOL there for me!! Lol 

I currently have a single receiver, but am pondering adding two more and a bumper.  By putting two more receivers, a foot on either side of center, I could have a very stable rack to carry things, or mount a box.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

On 12/8/2018 at 5:08 PM, Hewhoknowslittle said:

ko47rMtl.jpg "border=0
m3zZPvb.pngClick For Full-Size Image.

21/2 inch receiver rated at 30,000 pounds and 4,000 tongue weight, I only hope it's enough.

Do you have a side view of that? How did you attach it to the frame?

Archived