RV survey

Kirk W

Kirk,

I followed your link and it took me directly to a Survey Monkey page saying I had already taken the survey.  I know I haven't taken the survey, so not sure what the issue is.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

5 minutes ago, Chad Heiser said:

directly to a Survey Monkey page saying I had already taken the survey. 

Try it now. I just copied the link after I took it and so it thought you were me. Let me know if this one works.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

25 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

Try it now. I just copied the link after I took it and so it thought you were me. Let me know if this one works.

That worked.  Thanks

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

4 hours ago, bobsallyh said:

I too took it from the email and had no problem.

What email?  I received one the other day saying that the mail service was down because  of USPS closing today.  Also about having things shipped to the correct address.  As they would be charging postage to ship it to you correct address.

We are sending a friendly reminder that all packages and general mail must be sent to your Livingston, TX address, not to the satellite addresses of Florida and South Dakota. Packages sent to Florida or South Dakota will be forwarded to the Livingston address and your account will be charged the appropriate handling and postage fees.
It is more cost-effective, only $1 per piece for letter mail, for you to have only required mail, such as your driver's license, vehicle registration, etc., sent to your Florida or South Dakota mailing address.
If you have questions or concerns please contact us at 936.327.8873.
Thank you and Happy Holidays.
Escapees Mail Service

and 

President Donald J. Trump has declared December 5 as a national day of mourning, calling on Americans to remember the vast contributions of former President George H.W. Bush.

To honor the life and legacy of President Bush, the Postal Service will observe the national day of mourning.

• All Post Office® locations will be closed.
  • Regular mail will not be delivered.
  • Package delivery will be limited.

This declaration will cause a delay in Escapees mail forwarding services for those expecting service via USPS. All mail currently scheduled to go out on Wednesday, Dec 5 will now be sent out Thursday, Dec 6. Additionally, all mail that would have been received on Wednesday will now be received and processed on Thursday.

We appreciate your patience! Your mail forwarding service will resume usual operations on Thursday, December 6.

For more information from USPS on this matter, please visit https://www.usps.com/national-day-of-mourning/welcome.htm.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

20 hours ago, GlennWest said:

I took it earlier today, Got email from Escapees about it

I also got the email, but my email client rightly flagged it as a phishing scam.

Why?  Because the URL in the email said it would take you to "https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/RVerCensus",

but it would instead send you to https://escapees.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=<long tracking id number>.

I realize that Escapees wants to track who takes the survey, but it is a RED FLAG to display one URL as a clickable link that then takes you to an entirely different site.  That's the very definition of "phishing scam".

36 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

Jim,  if you don’t want to fill out the survey, don’t.  I know who sent the survey so I’m not worried about it, but obviously you are.

You misunderstand my post.

I'm saying that the email was structured like a phishing scam.  I'm sure it was an innocent mistake by whomever composed it.

However, it was flagged by my email client and automatically reported.  Many anti-malware clients will also flag it.  That means that the entire escapees.com domain can be put on a list of untrustable sites and blocked if enough reports are generated.

The simple solution is for escapees to never again structure an email that looks like a phishing scam.  Otherwise, it runs the risk of ending up on a ban list used by anti-malware software. 

You should NEVER display one URL and have it take you to a different URL when clicking on it.

For reference, here is the offending part of the email:

You will find this census at </span><u><a href=3D"https://escapees.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=3Dd8bc0f46a19a696e5c335f4d2&id=3Dccd922d33d&e=3D3ed43a78a7" target=3D"_blank" style=3D"word-wrap: break-word;-ms-text-size-adjust: 100%;-webkit-text-size-adjust: 100%;color: #6DC6DD;font-weight: normal;text-decoration: underline;">https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/RVerCensus</a>

1 hour ago, OregonJim said:

I also got the email, but my email client rightly flagged it as a phishing scam.

Why?  Because the URL in the email said it would take you to "https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/RVerCensus",

but it would instead send you to https://escapees.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=<long tracking id number>.

I realize that Escapees wants to track who takes the survey, but it is a RED FLAG to display one URL as a clickable link that then takes you to an entirely different site.  That's the very definition of "phishing scam".   

I had zero problems with it. Don't understand your complaint.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

1 hour ago, GlennWest said:

I had zero problems with it. Don't understand your complaint.

He's just saying Escapees needs to be careful or they could find themselves on the wrong side of many spam mail filters because of this little mistake meaning any e-mail they send in the future could potentially end up in your spam folder. This e-mail it's self is probably going to get to a lot less people than they hope just because of the way it was structured with the URL. Phishing scams generally display one URL, but then try to disguise where you are actually going behind in another URL and that's exactly what they did here. This particular example was innocent as all they were trying to do was track how many people clicked on the link vs maybe how many results they actually get, but the way they did it is not best practice. 

I think he was more passing on the info that if anyone knows whose responsible for sending e-mails like this from Escapees, they may need to be contacted to understand what potential effects this e-mail could have on the results of this survey and the potential of all future e-mails being flagged. 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

2 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

Jim,  if you don’t want to fill out the survey, don’t.  I know who sent the survey so I’m not worried about it, but obviously you are.

Please see my explanation above. If you know who actually is responsible for sending e-mails like this, you can share the info in this thread we shared about why this particular setup is a bad idea. 

My spam filter caught it also. I saw the link on FB and followed it from there to take the survey. 

2 hours ago, BlueLghtning said:

He's just saying Escapees needs to be careful or they could find themselves on the wrong side of many spam mail filters because of this little mistake meaning any e-mail they send in the future could potentially end up in your spam folder. This e-mail it's self is probably going to get to a lot less people than they hope just because of the way it was structured with the URL. Phishing scams generally display one URL, but then try to disguise where you are actually going behind in another URL and that's exactly what they did here. This particular example was innocent as all they were trying to do was track how many people clicked on the link vs maybe how many results they actually get, but the way they did it is not best practice. 

I think he was more passing on the info that if anyone knows whose responsible for sending e-mails like this from Escapees, they may need to be contacted to understand what potential effects this e-mail could have on the results of this survey and the potential of all future e-mails being flagged. 

Exactly.  Thanks BlueLightning - at least *somebody* understands what I said!

2 hours ago, GlennWest said:

I would never have a service that does this. Live.,om gives me no such issues. 

If that's true, it means that live.com is not intelligent enough to detect a phishing scam, and will gladly let you compromise yourself by clicking on one.

It never fails to amaze me the lengths some folks will go to engage in an argument, friendly or not.  Someone posts a comment with a warning about a possible issue and then has the "pleasure" of defending himself.  What is wrong with just reading his comment and accepting the information without the bickering?  The fact that this is not a secure site and has huge problems in the past should be a clue to something to be wary of for the future.  My filter caught it also and I didn't click on the link.

Jim, if you really wanted to be helpful, you would report the problem to Escapees, not post it on this forum.  Escapees IT personnel do not read posts unless they get a problem "Report Post" message.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

11 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

Jim, if you really wanted to be helpful, you would report the problem to Escapees, not post it on this forum.  Escapees IT personnel do not read posts unless they get a problem "Report Post" message.

His post was very helpful to those of us on the forum because it explained exactly why many people might find this e-mail in their spam folder and the reason why it would have gotten flagged as spam.

Yes if someone at Escapees needs to know and they don't regularly review this forum, it could be reported to them, in fact anyone can report it, but I'm sure there are folks on the forums that know the right people at Escapees and drop them a note and say, hey you may want to check this out for future reference. 

Any time you have feedback for the club, you can use the Contact Us form on escapees.com https://www.escapees.com/about-escapees/contact-us/. The drop down menu allows you to direct it to any of a number of departments within our club and staff. 

Regarding the phishing concerns- we did not intentionally disguise the link. I understand what has been said- no one accused us of phishing. However, the programs we use, between our Club News distribution and SurveyMonkey (who hosts the census) are likely responsible as they are the programs that insert the tracking codes. We have had this issue in the past (it's very common), so some mail servers have flagged clubbusiness@escapees.com already. The best advice we can offer is that you add clubbusiness@escapees.com to your address book so your email provider is more aware that our emails are welcome.

Communications Director

signature logo a.jpg

1 hour ago, Barbaraok said:

So, now you are accusing me of not trying to be helpful?  

Wow.  I'm seriously regretting joining Escapees.  All I've seen over the past few weeks is bickering, attacks, and petty defensiveness.

Okay guys, you've heard the last of me.  Enjoy my money.

1 hour ago, OregonJim said:

All I've seen over the past few weeks is bickering, attacks, and petty defensiveness.

While there does seem to be a rash of that on our forums, let me assure you that it isn't typical of most gatherings of members. The forum members are not all Escapee members.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived