Cleaning Windshield Safely

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

How do you clean your windshield safely ? This is one job that I don't look forward it. I always like to start a trip with a clean windshield. Do you use a step ladder ? Do you stand on the frame of the            truck ? Is your hood open ? If you clean the windshield from a step ladder, how do you get the middle of the windshield ? When cleaning the windshield I also like the clean the rubber on the wipers. The older that I am getting, I don't feel comfortable standing on the truck frame, plus there is not mush more for your feet. So how do you do it ? What equipment ( ladder or something else ) do you use ? Anyone have a picture or too. How about a video ? I want to feel safe doing this job.

Thank you for any input,
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

A brush with long handle, a bucket of soapy water and a water hose.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

I stand on the frame and then the top of the engine to reach everything. Just be sure to step on the metal not any plastic.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

I do the same thing every other trucker in North America does. Use the long handle squeegee at the fuel island, and grumble about the streaks I left.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

On my MH i used a three step ladder, until one day i was reaching out to just get that last little bit of the windshield and one leg of that cheap ladder collapsed and sent me to the ground! My arm was black and blue for a month and to this day i still have the goose egg on my elbow to remind me to keep my feet on the ground and use a long handle squeege!

2004 Freightliner m2 106  2015 DRV lx450 Fullhouse  2019 Indian Springfield 2014 Yamaha 950 V-Star

Long handled scrubber/squeegee.  I'm not allowed on ladders (sez the bride) unless a second adult is nearby, after my tumble in the shop, and a trip to the emergency room.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Howdy All,

Open the Hood, stand on frame and clean, when using one of those long handled brushes I do the best I can and then cuss at my self about being to lazy to open the Hood, and do it properly.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

13 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

I do the same thing every other trucker in North America does. Use the long handle squeegee at the fuel island, and grumble about the streaks I left.

BEFORE you grab the long handle squeegee at any truck stop, GLOVE UP! I've yet to see one long handle that didn't have grease smeared on it.

PS: after fueling at a truck stop, you DO know to pull your rig forward enough so the next trucker can get to the pump, right? Once you've done that, then you can go inside to finish up.

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for the ideas. When you get into your late 60's ( 68/69 ) do you really want to climb on the frame or engine. There isn't much room for your feet on the frame.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

1 hour ago, alan0043 said:

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for the ideas. When you get into your late 60's ( 68/69 ) do you really want to climb on the frame or engine. There isn't much room for your feet on the frame.

Al

Howdy Al, 

I will be 71 in 3 months luckily I am still in pretty good shape but to really get the windshield on the Pete, clean you have to get up to it the only way you can do that is stand on the frame.

yes you can do a half arsed job with a long handled brush but that won’t get behind the wipers or into the corners.  Like most things you have to be careful and think about what your doing.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

13 hours ago, alan0043 said:

Hi Everyone,

Al

My next birthday will be 69. Had a fatal heart attack 4 yrs. ago and God wants me around awile. Open heart surgery this past may. Got a hernia surgery next week and hope I'll get a chance to race my snowmobile this winter. Was on my roof today adjusting my tv antenna after some snow melted today. Yes I am a little shaky but still love life thru a clean windshield.

A real easy way to get a quick clean is turn the wipers on high and hit it with garden hose. Don't need a nozzle just thumb it. There use to be a short hose at most every fuel island.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Buy a cab over. Tilt cab until windshield is accessible from the ground. Wash window with bug sponge and squeegee. Commence Truckin'.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

2 hours ago, beyerjf said:

Buy a cab over. Tilt cab until windshield is accessible from the ground. Wash window with bug sponge and squeegee. Commence Truckin'.

Missed a step...

REMOVE coffee mug from dash BEFORE tilting cab...

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Archived