EZ Passes for Class A with Tow Vehicle

Windtalker

We currently have two cars and each has an EZ Pass transponder. We plan on selling one of the cars and transferring its transponder to our Class A RV. We will be purchasing a new vehicle to tow behind the RV and want to know if we need to put the second transponder on the windshield of the new tow vehicle?

When towing, only the lead vehicle should have an active transponder. Otherwise, you'll get charged extra when the toll booth sensor system counts four axles for the first transponder and two for the second one. Place the unused transponder in a shielded bag or wrap it in foil.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

We have our responder coded? for a MH and car. We didn't want to risk the car being picked up  when towing and going through whatever problems that would cause. How this is all done might be dependent on the state.

We also have a transponder for just the car which we keep in its aluminum foil bag in the glove compartment.

We have NY State issued E-ZPass transponders, and the two for the motorhome are registered to the NY Thruway's "Motorhome Plan". One is used when towing, and the other when not. Both transponders entitle the motorhome to regular passenger car per axle rates on the NY Thruway. The unused transponders are kept shielded of course.

Dutch

We've talked about this some this trip, and maybe it is time for us to get something. For the most part, we try to avoid driving on Texas toll roads, since it seems that most of them require a transponder. I'm thinking that maybe I ought to call the Texas toll road outfit, but I'm a bit afraid that they will want to sell me something that may not fit our needs.

Here's our situation. Currently we have a MH and towed. The towed is always with the MH if the MH is on the highway, but the MH isn't always with the towed. For example, we could have taken a toll road to this campground and saved a few miles. Today we could have taken a toll road to and from church and saved maybe a few miles and several minutes. In each case we found other roads that served us as well. When we went to PPL in the car we were able to either stay on the outer (free) roads or take another road.

We've put in for a lot at Hondo, and with kids (and grandkids) in St. Louis, we'll probably find need to travel on both Texas and Oklahoma toll roads. I've heard that there are arrangements that will allow us to have one set of transponders (one car, one MH) that will work in both States. True?

To complicate matters, our current MH and towed are for sale, to be replaced by a truck and TT. How will that affect things?

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

I don't know how Texas works, but NJ Ez-pass didn't try to sell me anything. It was on me to register the transponder and select the vehicle class to be used with the transducer. I would need to have a separate transducer for a RV towing a car and one for just a four wheel vehicle when not towing. 

We had 2 cars and only 1 transponder for many years. When we wanted to take the second car and use the transponder we would logon and change the license plate the transponder was for. I don't see and impact when you sell your current combo, just change your account to reflect the new plates.

17 hours ago, Windtalker said:

We will be purchasing a new vehicle to tow behind the RV and want to know if we need to put the second transponder on the windshield of the new tow vehicle?

I found this on the EZ-pass website:

This website is primarily intended as a resource for our staff and member agencies. More detailed information can be obtained by contacting the E‑ZPass service center of one of our member agencies.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

EZPass covers about fifteen or so eastern and Midwestern states, but not TX. TX is compatible with KS and OK. FL also does its own thing, so for full coverage east of the Rockies, you'd need three transponders.... EZPass, FL and OK/KS/TX. Only one transponder is used per vehicle combination. The cameras and software calculate the toll based on number of axles, etc.

55 minutes ago, Jaydrvr said:

But only really useful if you're just flying into Orlando. Doesn't work in the rest of FL outside of Orlando.

It's no surprise I hope, that the Central Florida Expressway toll roads are in, well, Central Florida. The 118 mile system does run as far east as Cape Canaveral though. E-ZPass is also currently in talks with the other Florida tolling agencies...

Dutch

5 hours ago, Windtalker said:

Thank you, everyone, for all the useful information. It never occurred to us that we would want to keep the second transponder for when we are using the tow vehicle separately.

Also, it depends on the type of transponder. If it's the larger, moveable type, that can obviously be useful. If it's the single use, stick on type, the spare comes in handy when you need a new windshield.

39 minutes ago, Jaydrvr said:

Also, it depends on the type of transponder. If it's the larger, moveable type, that can obviously be useful. If it's the single use, stick on type, the spare comes in handy when you need a new windshield.

I had luck pealing mine off the windshield.  I put it, stuck it to a blank sheet of paper, trimmed it to the EZPass transponder size, and used a piece of clear packing tape to stick it to the new windshield.  It's been on 3 windshields like this now.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

23 minutes ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

I had luck pealing mine off the windshield.  I put it, stuck it to a blank sheet of paper, trimmed it to the EZPass transponder size, and used a piece of clear packing tape to stick it to the new windshield.  It's been on 3 windshields like this now.

I've not been so lucky. When I tried that, it only read my plate and not my transponder. Maybe it's just the FL sticker..

I currently have 5 NY EZ-Pass transponders (the max) 1 each for wife, daughter, and my two vehicles.  The 5th one is set up for the truck & 5th wheel combination.  At that point, I put the truck transponder in the bag in glove box, however, my only problem is when I forget to swap out the transponders.

David

On 12/7/2018 at 5:27 PM, Dutch_12078 said:

David, do you have the NY Thruway 5'ver discount plan?

https://www.thruway.ny.gov/ezpass/ta-w68176.pdf

Dutch,

That is unknown, I have had the pass for at least 10 years.  I guess I will look into this and find out.  Thanks a lot, I greatly appreciate people looking out for each other.

David

1 hour ago, Dmitche4 said:

Dutch,

That is unknown, I have had the pass for at least 10 years.  I guess I will look into this and find out.  Thanks a lot, I greatly appreciate people looking out for each other.

David

I don't know how much the 5'ver discount is, David, but every bit helps. A call to E-ZPass should find more info. With the Thruway Motorhome Plan, we pay the same per axle tolls as ordinary passenger vehicles, about half the tall vehicle rate the big trucks and buses pay.

Dutch

Archived