DirecTV, Vacation Stops and ATT Changes

Velos

FYI,

A friend of mine decided to save a few bucks last spring and put his satellite on "vacation stop" for 6 mos while he traveled in his motorhome.  He had never done it before and sadly to his surprise when he returned this winter ATT had bought DirecTV and no longer offers the "vacation stop"  service so if he wants the TV resumed it will be $200 to $500 dollars for the service call.  YIKES.

Yesterday I received this email from AT&T:
Changes to Your Terms of Service Agreement(s) are coming.
Please read this if you receive DIRECTV, AT&T U-verse® TV, AT&T Internet, AT&T Phone, and/or AT&T Fixed Wireless service(s). We want to remind you that you’re billed in advance for recurring service(s) and/or programming charges and applicable fees based on the terms of your current service agreement(s) with us. Starting January 14, 2019, subject to applicable laws, we’re updating your agreement(s) to include your recurring service(s)/programming charges and fees won’t be prorated if you cancel the above service(s) on any day other than the last day of your billing cycle. Your service(s) will continue until the end of your billing cycle but you won’t get a refund (prorated credits) for any remaining days left in your billing cycle. For products not listed above, refer to their terms of service for more information.  Questions about this change? Go to att.com/ProrationPolicy for more information and to see the revised section of your service agreement(s).

I reread the new terms of service and do not see any mention of "vacation stop" or suspension of services. I don't believe these are considered "cancellations" of service. I just suspended my DTV service until February. My current bill shows a balance as it has in the past when I suspended service. I do not know if the fact that I do not have a contract and own my equipment makes a difference or not. Only time will tell what happens in February as I understand that there will be changes to the SD programming about that time also.

The one that dies with the most toys is still dead!

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

• 2 weeks later...

Followup.

My friend chatted 5 different times with Direct to try and get the matter corrected.  He printed out the chats that said he would not be charged to have the service turned back on but when service guy from Directv came to get TV's working said there would be a charge.  My friend said no thank you you can take your equipment back.  Service guy was apologetic and said since the ATT has taken over he has never been busier with people canceling their service.  My friend had  Dish come the next day and so far all is good.

39 minutes ago, SWharton said:

In my mind turning the service on is not the same as a service call. We leave a receiver in our S&B, turn the service off for trips and just call up to have the service turned back on. Never had a charge or a problem.

Who is your satellite provider? 

Since AT&T bought/merged with DirecTV they no longer offer the turn off/turn on service.

Before your friend lays out money for satellite equipment,  he should read this article: AT&T/DriecTV may  have launched its last satellite: https://www.fiercevideo.com/cable/at-t-cfo-new-directv-service-will-be-self-installed-box-instead-truck-roll

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

26 minutes ago, Ray,IN said:

Before your friend lays out money for satellite equipment,  he should read this article: AT&T/DriecTV may  have launched its last satellite: https://www.fiercevideo.com/cable/at-t-cfo-new-directv-service-will-be-self-installed-box-instead-truck-roll

The already in-orbit satellites should have lifetimes of 10-15 years.  Currently DirecTV has ~20 million customers, quite a few of whom live where high speed internet isn't available.  I'm not going to lie awake at night worrying about when DTV satellite service will end. 

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

1 hour ago, docj said:

The already in-orbit satellites should have lifetimes of 10-15 years.  Currently DirecTV has ~20 million customers, quite a few of whom live where high speed internet isn't available.  I'm not going to lie awake at night worrying about when DTV satellite service will end. 

I agree DocJ. I simply said I would not invest money in a DirectTV satellite system now. Quote from that website: " AT&T plans to ship its DirecTV streaming boxes in 2019. (DirecTV)"

I do not have, nor expect high-speed internet at our home in my lifetime, so I will stay with Dish Network.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

10 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

AT&T plans to ship its DirecTV streaming boxes in 2019. 

The latest rumor is that DTV is creating a "new" streaming service that will look a lot like the existing DTV service with regard to its packages of channels, etc.  What exact;y becomes of DirecTV Now isn't quite clear. 

I think the idea is to "slide" existing satellite customers to this new service as adequate bandwidth is available.  Since AT&T is a major provider of broadband to residences and businesses, it would be pretty easy for them to offer streaming TV services along with broadband.  That way the pitch can be something like, "let's take down the dish from your roof and give you the same service via streaming."

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

12 hours ago, docj said:

yes, be around for decades. Their are some C band programming left. How long ago did that go away. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Archived