Trailer Bottom repair-for son-in-law

SWharton

Son-in-law is thinking of buying a TT Grand Design. He is questioning the validity of a repair made by a local place. There was a leak from the black tank(connection needed to be tightened). The repair person cut out a 24x24 section of coraplast(I assume), and the foam insulation. Did the repair and gorilla taped everything back up.

Do you think this repair will hold up?

We have done repairs like this 10 years ago but the long term results are a bit fuzzy in our minds.

Thanks

Would have been best if repairman had cut a 3-sided section to access the tank, then use basement wood lathe placed above the chloroplast to screw it back up.  Gorilla tape will hold for a LONG time if the surface was really clean when applied. Keep an eye on it.

Thanks, everyone. He is now less concerned about the repair. We told him how the trailer bottom is probably constructed and that HD and Lowes had sheets of Coraplast so he is going ahead to go look at the TT. It is 4 hours away and he didn't want to make the trip if this was a stopper.

I have just  completed a 6 week rehab of my rig.  The water tank had split causing more grief than I care to go into at the moment.  The Travel Supreme came with a metal underbelly crimped together at the joints which ran transversely.  I was not able to get them apart so the metal was cut side to side.

I used Coreplast and backed it with the 1/4" silver bubble foam.  The foam was taped around the edge of the Coreplast with the with the 2" wide silver  shiny tape.  I have pics.  I went full width underneath in 2 pcs with an overlap of about 6" in the middle.  Each panel was about 38" wide. 

The UTube people use self tapping screws and fender washers every 2' or so.  The Travel Supreme came with a moulding or trim piece screwed to the underside of the longitudinal frame rails.

Something else done by a local RV Repair firm is to cut vents in the underbelly and putting in surface mounted grills, roughly 4" by 12"  with the grill fins facing rearward. Add to that pushing in a chunk of pool noodle in the vent hole  as a spacer between the insulation and the underbelly in case of a leak to allow for drainage.

If you provide enough overlap on all 4 sides it should  be ok.

Archived