Self-Defense

Wizards&OZ

3 hours ago, GlennWest said:

We can't fathom a dog , large enough to be a threat,  being in camper with us. 

I have had a dog since I was born.  I can't fathom ever being without one.  Got a Britney sitting at my feet as I type this.  They are not large, but I guarantee you this little (45lb) pup (11 years old) can and will act like a 100lb monster if anyone/thing messes with myself or my wife.  He is small enough in our 32ft RV he does not get under our feet, EXCEPT at treat time... LOL

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

I can't see a 45# dog either. We love our pets but they are small.

Our next small pet will either be a rotti, or sheppard.  I don't see a problem, but to each his own.  We also travel with our pet birds.  🙂

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

12 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

Birds, full time?  We had ours for a while. Got rid of them. Cages take up to much room.

He's looking for a new home... LOL  I wanted a toy hauler so I could fix up the back and bring more along but my better half says I'm in no way bringing along 30 chickens.... LOL  Our tiel is enough.

I agree with what's been said. Having taught classes offensive and defensive tactics with weapons in the military as well as civilian classes for a course I called "Non-Confrontational Handgun Defense," I wrote a new article when we became full time RVrs for seven years relating our experience on the road to RV security. It is too long to reprint here, it is here on my website: http://home.earthlink.net/~derekgore/rvroadiervfulltimingwhatisitreallylike/id85.html

Safe Travels!

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Along the self defense line, I occasionally must use a cane to walk very far.  I have seen martial arts classes that teach how to use one quite well as a self defense tool.  What say ya'll about a wood cane for self defense?  Legal around the world, used properly can bring someone down pretty quick.  I would call it a legal club?

I will also add, anytime I am away from the RV, or SnB, I walk with a walking stick.  4 foot long, fairly heavy, leather cord for wrist on one end and a metal (dull) point on the other end.  I could see using this quite easily as a club, spear, etc and I guarantee this thing would do some damage to an attacker.

32 minutes ago, NDBirdman said:

Along the self defense line, I occasionally must use a cane to walk very far.  I have seen martial arts classes that teach how to use one quite well as a self defense tool.  What say ya'll about a wood cane for self defense? 

I just watched an episode of Red Rock where I learned the most effective place to hit is behind the knees. They tend to drop which might give you time to get away.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I have been reluctant to mention the use of a Intense non-lethal device because untrained use can injure the defender as well at the attacker.......but maybe it is just food for thought at this point.

In my misspent youth desire to get rich fast I would sometimes take employment with a sketchy outfit or two flying ......."logistics"....into less than ideal locations often overrun with ......."civil unrest"....

The catch with entering into these "civil unrest" remote locations was that often we civilian pilots were often the only people without a weapon and it would be more dangerous by far if we  to try to sneak a firearm in with us.........so the "security innovation divisions" of the sketchy outfits would leave "certain devices" laying around the hanger that might be of some use for......"Self Defense" ....... one of these..... "devices".........was a item that looked like a Maglight but it was WAY more than any Maglight ever hoped to be......the device was called a Dazzler.......... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dazzler_(weapon).

The Dazzler REALLY works……..in fact it works almost too well and even the U N has a protocol that strives the limit the power output of the Dazzler……

The short explanation of the Dazler concept might to consider that it is basically a Laser-Shotgun intended to stop a adversary by temporarily blinding the attacker.

“Temporarily blinding” is a mouthful and there is a REAL reason that the United Nations became so alarmed that they have passed a protocol “attempting to power limit Dazzlers” because there is a fine line between “Temporarily Blind” and “Totally Blind for life” ……...High Powered Dazzlers are VERY dangerous devices and even the limited power / U N Legal Dazzlers must be used sparingly.

At first glance (no pun intended) the Laser Shotgun Dazzler might seem to be the perfect Self Defense weapon …...however….. consider that since the “projectile” is a Laser Pulsed Group of beams they are subject to……..REFLECTION and a REFLECTED beam is still a LASER BEAM and did I Mention that travels …..fast…….like speed of light fast. Now look around your RV does your rig have any….side view mirrors?…..does it have Chrome wheels?……..glossy windows?

You see if you start shooting the Dazzler in a spray pattern very soon you have laser beams hitting way way too many unintended targets…….

The dazzler is totally silent until it hits a human target in the eye and then the pain is intense and often a scream is the result of the shock and pain.

Here is my point…….Self Defense with weapons is a messy and imperfect and highly flawed endeavor and huge sums of money and efforts have not refined it much……

Drive on……….(Self Defense…...is messy)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

15 hours ago, ARGO said:

the old style credit card machines sound remarkably like a pump being racked back. And legal.

Yes they do. lol

My question is can you carry legally a firearm in your trailer or vehicle when traveling in all states? I understand you may not be able to conceal carry outside your trailer in all states. 

Terry

5 hours ago, Dollytrolley said:

The Dazzler REALLY works……..in fact it works almost too well and even the U N has a protocol that strives the limit the power output of the Dazzler……

It would appear that your Wikipedia link has been removed and replaced with several smaller links.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

One may solve the crossing state lines with a firearm by filing for, and obtaining a Federal Firearms License, ie: firearms dealer. There are stringent rules governing a FFL holder though.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

2 hours ago, Kirk W said:

It would appear that your Wikipedia link has been removed and replaced with several smaller links.

Kirk, thanks for the notification about the redirect on Wikipedia.......seems like they are very interested in begging $$$$ and the information mission is not as important as it used to be......oh well ..... another IBU outfit......at the flying B they would stray off and Chase a bone-head idea intilllll it was ....Improved Beyond Use.......

Hummmm since obviously Wikipedia KNOWS that I NEED .....help....that they will send over a nice lady over with cold drinks to help me with ......rebuildongy Black water tank dump valve......you know she crawls under there and tebuilds the valve while I offer directions and drink the cool refreshments.......

Drive on......($omtimes I get more Re-direction than I ......need)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

31 minutes ago, Dollytrolley said:

Kirk, thanks for the notification about the redirect on Wikipedia.......seems like they are very interested in begging $$$$ and the information mission is not as important as it used to be......oh well

I don't want to change the subject of the thread, but I do want to say something on behalf of Wikipedia. They operate only on donations and if you notice there is no advertising. I donate to them annually as I often use their information source and have found it to be remarkably accurate. Since they do not charge for their service and do not advertise for anyone, donations from those of us who use the service are the only way that they will continue to exist.

15 hours ago, sandsys said:

I just watched an episode of Red Rock where I learned the most effective place to hit is behind the knees. They tend to drop which might give you time to get away.

Linda

Careful when you try this.  Get close enough to do this, perp might be close enough to shove that knife in.  It's easy to shatter a wrist from a distance.  Now, if he has a gun, different story.  Give up your $$ and walk away to live another day.  I can replace $$, car/truck, etc.  Ask any LEO what they can do with just a baton.  Most anyone can get this type training if your worried.  I say, just be situational aware.  I will also repeat an old adage:  Only a person that carries a gun NEEDS a gun.  Yes, I have more guns than the average person but I don't carry them for protection.

8 hours ago, OregonJim said:

You *do* know that Wikipedia content is entirely community driven and that *anyone* can write or edit an entry, right?

Of course. Every page states that and I have contributed. How does that change anything? That doesn't make the site free of operation costs. 

want to have a legal can of stream styled spray that will do harm to a bg. use a product called "break clean", it can blind a human, even a very tiny drop in a eye is painful. it can desolve lung tissue. but a good squirt to the bg face, and he is gone. or on the ground gasping for air, trying to scream, and can see nothing.

pepper spray is not legal in some parts of the country, or only in very small cans that are really just useless.

but for the brake clean, just stick the little straw into place, it is provided with each can, add a drop or two of super glue after it is in place to keep it there.

the best defense is a strong pair of running shoes. look around you, keep your eyes open. think.

20 minutes ago, packnrat said:

want to have a legal can of stream styled spray that will do harm to a bg. use a product called "break clean", it can blind a human, even a very tiny drop in a eye is painful. it can desolve lung tissue. but a good squirt to the bg face, and he is gone. or on the ground gasping for air, trying to scream, and can see nothing.

pepper spray is not legal in some parts of the country, or only in very small cans that are really just useless.

but for the brake clean, just stick the little straw into place, it is provided with each can, add a drop or two of super glue after it is in place to keep it there.

the best defense is a strong pair of running shoes. look around you, keep your eyes open. think.

Pack,

I assume you are referring to the spray solvent commonly sold at auto supply stores called "Brake Clean" ........am I correct?

Drive on...... (Break>>>>>>Brake>>>>>>Broke)

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 8:50 PM, RV_ said:

I agree with what's been said. Having taught classes offensive and defensive tactics with weapons in the military as well as civilian classes for a course I called "Non-Confrontational Handgun Defense," I wrote a new article when we became full time RVrs for seven years relating our experience on the road to RV security. It is too long to reprint here, it is here on my website: http://home.earthlink.net/~derekgore/rvroadiervfulltimingwhatisitreallylike/id85.html

Safe Travels!

That is a very well written article and makes some good points.  Everyone traveling in an RV should take a few minutes and read it IMHO.

As expected from the current 2 pages of comments, not everyone keeps firearms in their RVs and some worry about a lot about legal issues if they ever had to use their firearm.  

There has been a saying around for many years and I heard it for the first time back in the 70's while attending my first police academy.  "It is better to be judged by 12 then carried by 6".

If you are honestly in fear of your life then 9 times out of 10 you will come out of the legal aftermath pretty good.

If there is one thing I learned from my career it is how some really bad criminals view our legal system and prison.  The worse criminals out there do not care what happens to them, they do not care if they get sent back to prison.  Now some of them may not want to be sentenced to life, but threaten them with a 10 or 20 year stretch and they could care less.  Free place to stay, free food, bunch of buddies to hang with, and about anything else they want.  

So if you decide not to carry a firearm in your RV then I respect that.  The chances of running across one of these really bad scumbags is probably pretty slim.  However, you should at least be aware that they are out there and not just in the big cities.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

On 12/1/2018 at 7:35 AM, FL-JOE said:

The chances of running across one of these really bad scumbags is probably pretty slim.  However, you should at least be aware that they are out there and not just in the big cities.

I have been around guns all of my life and owned at least 1 gun since I was 12. I have been both student and instructor in firearms courses and I spend time at the range on a regular basis. Even so, I believe that the person who buys a gun for protection while traveling in his RV, and no other purpose is making a mistake. If you do not enjoy shooting you are unlikely to be proficient with your chosen gun and when under threat few of us will be at our best. Even experienced police officers often miss more shots than they hit if they ever fire a weapon in the line of duty. 

People who travel by RV are far more likely to be injured or killed in a traffic accident than by any other risk, possibly than by all other risks combined.

5 hours ago, Kirk W said:

I believe that the person who buys a gun for protection while traveling in his RV, and no other purpose is foolish.

As I have said before, I do not believe I could ever shoot a human so any gun I carried would more likely be used against me.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Archived