safety of Walmart

virginiasean

Hi my husband and I are from UK and are embarking on a big west to east coast trip next year. We have booked or planned RV parks as this is a special splash out trip but we have one over night stop in or near Senoia Georgia ( we want to do a walking dead tour 😳😂) on our way to Smokey Mountains. We have a 5/6 hour journey each side of our stop so time is really tight. I have looked aplenty and can't find an RV park near but there is a Walmart 25 minutes away so am thinking about staying there as its just overnight. However the reviews of that particular Walmart, and maybe it reflects the area, make it sound like a bit of a Ghetto (YIKES). Does anyone, and I am sure its a long shot, know this area.....

1025 Highway 34 E
Newnan, GA 3026

thanks if you can help

If you want to have a look around in that area just follow this link to Google Maps and it will show you the most recent satellite view of that area. It is open 24 hours per day and is located near a major highway exit. It has been years since we last traveled that way so perhaps someone has more recent information.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

14 hours ago, Sehc said:

There are a number of Cracker Barrel restaurants in that area. Most Cracker Barrels permit RV overnight parking. They have good food.

agree!

To viriginasean. Of the over 4,000 walmarts in the U.S.A. over 1,000 prohibit overnight parking. Call ahead as each store manager sets their own rules according to local laws and parking space.

Viewing the Newnan GA Walmart on Google maps, I would not have any doubts about overnighting there, I would call the store and ask permission the morning before I arrived though.

no park walmarts by state

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

OK, didn't want to do this because Newnan is a Georgia city but to checkout a town, go to this link:

https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/ga/newnan/crime

Newman is already selected for that map but it is NOT a good area. The average city in America has a roughly 85% chance of being safer than Newnan and your Walmart is right on the edge of the most dangerous area of the city. If it were me, I would find another place to overnight.

One other thing to keep in mind about that statement to go somewhere else, I am armed wherever I go and I wouldn't stay there.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

If a Walmart is in a bad neighborhood; the Lowes, Home Depot or Cracker Barrel is not in my experience likely to be any safer. A Walmart Supercenter generally has on-site 24 hour security that closed establishments may not have. The location of Cabella's and Bass Pro Shop stores is shown on this map.

This website shows some Wildlife Management Areas and a county run campground not all that far from Senoia, GA.

Using RVParkReviews I found a very nice park about ~40 minutes southwest of Senoia GA in Pine Mountain.  I don't know how fixed your location is for that overnight stop, but we usually are willing to alter our overnight locations by plus or minus an hour in order to obtain acceptable lodging.  Some of us never overnight at Walmarts, Cracker Barrel or similar places.  It may suit some folks but not us.

If you're interested here's a link to the park I found: http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/georgia/pine-mountain/pine-mountain-rv-resort-918

Since you're not as familiar with RVing in the US, I invite you to explore RVParkReviews in advance of your trip.  It is totally free and has the largest online database exclusively devoted to reviews of RV parks. 

Joel  (AKA docj)

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

LOL, here we are raised with firearms, hunt with them, shoot in competition with them and yes, use them for self defense. I never could get used to drinking warm beer, eating cucumber sandwiches or bobbies without a gun. That is one of the reasons I liked to travel, to experience different cultures. If you go to the Northeast USA, you will find that area has the same attitudes towards firearms that most of Europe does. Some parts of the USA are more friendly to them.

Don't be alarmed if you see someone in Georgia open carrying a firearm as they will be licensed to have one and have passed extensive checks to be able to do so. Tennessee is less likely to have someone open carrying but it is still legal. Georgia happens to be a state where over 10% of the adult population that is 21 years old and up and eligible to own a firearm has a carry permit.

You would be surprised at the number of foreign visitors we have that visit gun ranges and fire weapons for the experience because they are not allowed to in their home country. Where do you think that the Hilltop, Alexandria, the Kingdom and all of Negan's guys got all of their guns from? :D

2017 Kenworth T680
2016 Smart Prime

11 minutes ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

LOL, here we are raised with firearms, hunt with them, shoot in competition with them and yes, use them for self defense. I never could get used to drinking warm beer, eating cucumber sandwiches or bobbies without a gun. That is one of the reasons I liked to travel, to experience different cultures. If you go to the Northeast USA, you will find that area has the same attitudes towards firearms that most of Europe does. Some parts of the USA are more friendly to them.

Don't be alarmed if you see someone in Georgia open carrying a firearm as they will be licensed to have one and have passed extensive checks to be able to do so. Tennessee is less likely to have someone open carrying but it is still legal. Georgia happens to be a state where over 10% of the adult population that is 21 years old and up and eligible to own a firearm has a carry permit.

You would be surprised at the number of foreign visitors we have that visit gun ranges and fire weapons for the experience because they are not allowed to in their home country. Where do you think that the Hilltop, Alexandria, the Kingdom and all of Negan's guys got all of their guns from? :D

GeoHy, has wise words of advice regarding carrying shooting irons here on the U S........gun culture here......

Example......we spend a fair amount of winter at our camp at Last Chance Peak Nevada......the California border is about 5 miles West..... yesterday we drove 9 miles to Home Depot and EVERYONE in the store had a pistol hanging from their hip and in Nevada NO permit or training is required..... IF you try the same thing 5 miles West in California you be a felon and it gets really ugly real fast.....

Enjoy the U S,  just remember....we are a "experiment" and the "results" of the "experiment" have not been determined yet......

Drive on.....(what the heck do I do with the darn gun when I go to..... California)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Not all of the north east is anti gun Vermont is still very friendly, no permits required for open or concealed carry. Until this July the only state gun law we had was no loaded rifle in the car, that was a fish and game law. If you want to see some fun be a spectator at a cowboy action shoot or if you like horses a mounted shoot. By the way you have those in Europe as well.

4 hours ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

OK, didn't want to do this because Newnan is a Georgia city but to checkout a town, go to this link:

Newman is already selected for that map but it is NOT a good area. The average city in America has a roughly 85% chance of being safer than Newnan and your Walmart is right on the edge of the most dangerous area of the city. If it were me, I would find another place to overnight.

One other thing to keep in mind about that statement to go somewhere else, I am armed wherever I go and I wouldn't stay there.

As comparison - Newnan on that web site has a 16 for crime rate out of 100 for the best.

I'm sure everyone has heard of Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge, TN if visiting the Smokey Mtn. areas.  Both of those tourist towns are given a '1' with 100 being the best.   Very strange!!!  Therefore, Newnan is safer than the two tourist towns.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

I lived in Newnan for 16 years before I left for full time in Aug 2017. Like any town Newnan has it's not so good areas which I would imagine skews the crime reports, but overall it's a really nice town. I wouldn't consider that Walmart in Newnan too bad. It's not a great walmart, but not crazy bad either that you really have anything to worry about. Newnan has it's pockets of less than desirable neighborhoods, but none of them are in that area or right along Hwy 34. You really have nothing to worry about there at that location. Maybe I'm a bit biased because I lived there, but I wouldn't worry too much about staying there. It's in a very busy area and close to the interstate and the Newnan Police do a good job of staying on top of things. 

There is a Cracker Barrel on the other side of the interstate that is probably a little nicer area to stay if you can fit there and if they allow it. 

Just in case you were wondering, there's a mobile home/RV park up the road 2 exits in Palmetto called (South Oaks Manufactured RV & Mobile Home Park) and that is one place I would not stay at all. That is as as ghetto as it gets. 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

I see you are going to Senoia to visit the Walking Dead. The town has grown a lot since the episodes with the Governor, but it's a cool little town to visit. You are right there aren't many places to stay around there. My parent's live about 10 mins from Senoia and this is always a challenge. 

This may be an option for you. This was a couple that was renovating and old house and had about 6 full hook up RV spots on their property. We stayed there for a week once when we were visiting my family. Their FB page says they are no longer operating their RV park, however they were a really cool couple and might interested in having some visitors from the UK for a day or two? This in only about 15 mins south of Senoia in Gay, GA. https://www.facebook.com/Nuttyacresgayga/

Here was the review on Campendium. I left the review under Two Wheel Ramblin. - https://www.campendium.com/nutty-acres-micro-rv-park

On 11/27/2018 at 10:50 AM, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Also most Lowes and Home Depot stores as well as Cabela's will allow overnight parking, just ask them before parking for the night.

In Newnan, the Lowe's happens to be next door to Walmart and the Home Depot is across the street. It's not a bad area really. 

9 hours ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

That map seems very subjective. Having lived in that area for many years, I'm just not seeing what that map is showing. Newnan certainly has some less than desirable areas, but they are small pockets here and there and most are not near the stores like that. 

Virginia,

I wrote an article about security on the road in RVs. I never needed mine although we did travel with them all pistol, rifle and combo in the US, and just our Canada declared and legal over and under 20ga shotgun/rifle. However we've never needed them, not even in the woods in Alaska. There are a lot of tips in that long article. I wrote it for both the armed and unarmed.

http://home.earthlink.net/~derekgore/rvroadiervfulltimingwhatisitreallylike/id85.html

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

11 hours ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

...here we are raised with firearms, hunt with them, shoot in competition with them and yes, use them for self defense.

Actually, data shows that only ~30% of Americans currently own guns.  Most people in the US are not "raised with firearms".  I personally don't have a problem with people owning firearms, but let's not portray for these potential UK visitors that the majority of Americans they meet will be armed.

The Demographics of Gun Ownership

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

LOL, With the government doing everything they can to find out what we own, do you actually think that people tell the "survey" companies or the government how many or even if they own a firearm? It's too bad I lost of all mine in a tragic boating accident years ago and all I own now are plastic toy guns. Sure miss all of those I had that are at the bottom of Lake Chickamauga now. 

2017 Kenworth T680
2016 Smart Prime

49 minutes ago, docj said:

Actually, data shows that only ~30% of Americans currently own guns.  Most people in the US are not "raised with firearms".  I personally don't have a problem with people owning firearms, but let's not portray for these potential UK visitors that the majority of Americans they meet will be armed.

The Demographics of Gun Ownership

Well, that depends on who did the survey.  This one says 43% of all households are gun owning:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/249740/percentage-of-households-in-the-united-states-owning-a-firearm/

And, we all know how accurate surveys are - particularly when asking about ownership of something that many are trying to take away...

As for RVers on a trip, staying out of large metropolitan areas and in more rural settings, you BET the majority of Americans they meet will be armed (and that's not a bad thing).

16 hours ago, RV_ said:

Virginia,

I wrote an article about security on the road in RVs. I never needed mine although we did travel with them all pistol, rifle and combo in the US, and just our Canada declared and legal over and under 20ga shotgun/rifle. However we've never needed them, not even in the woods in Alaska. There are a lot of tips in that long article. I wrote it for both the armed and unarmed. [Link deleted]

RV_,

Looks like a copy/paste error with your link - I get a page with details of an inmate...

EDIT: looks like you fixed it.  Deleted link here.

Archived