Need better back up cam

Grassy

Our present sony back up cam that is mounted on the upper back of the cab is just not working.  Especially is less than perfect light conditions.

I saw a back up cam on a pedestal just ahead of the 5th hitch recently.. the owner wasn't around..didn't see the brand of it. Have done some searching and cannot find.

Antone have any recommendations ?

Thanks

. Arctic Fox 29-5T

. Beagle co-pilots - Faffy and Lulu

• 3 months later...

I second Rear View Safety. I've used a wide variety of brands over the years. RVS is as good as it gets. We use them exclusively on our truck builds. One thing to note - they use a 5-pin connector, NOT a 4-pin. There are adaptors for both Voyager cables and for the 4-pin. Their monitors and DVR systems are very good. I'll answer any questions you might have if I can.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

19 hours ago, Cotreker said:

Jack can you please explain how you add more than 3 camera's to this system since the limit is three.  I think you do some type of a switch system.

RVS and other providers have quad monitors that handle 4 inputs. They also have DVR-based systems that handle 9 or more channels of input and then display those on a monitor, using the DVR remote to switch between views. 

Let's ignore the DVR system and go back to the quad system. With that, if you wish more than four views you have to use a switch that accepts the additional inputs and outputs onto one of the available channels on the monitor. So you get a 4-way switch and you can send a total of seven images to the monitor - four from the switch and three from the remaining channels on the monitor.

Cabcam sells a reasonable switch, as do others. Or you could build your own and support even more channels of input. In the past, I've used Cat 5 cable to run cameras to the switch and switched as many as 6 channels off that. With a rotary switch; all of which I custom built. Just depends on how complicated you want to be.

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

16 hours ago, Cotreker said:

Thanks Jack great details, I will build one.  My RVS system has a limit of only 3 camera's a few more should work fine.  I will start sourcing some CAT 5 cable.

You don't have to use cat5. Look at security wire. That actually is a little heavier and can be used for multiple things. Or, take the easy route and buy the CabCam switch.

www.jackdanmayer.com

• 1 month later...

We use a system called Cab Cam on our tractors and combine. They work great. They take a ton of abuse. I even have one out on the end of the auger so my wife can see when she loads the trucks.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/323762453368

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.