Circuit Boards

oldjohnt

So a while back I'm dry camped and in bed and the lil woman says the alarm/caution light on the fridge is on. I crawl out and see it works on AC but not on gas so I connect the fridge to inverter and battery power and go to sleep. Next morning I troubleshoot and see the circuit board is the problem so I go to a deep buried parts location bin and to my surprise (forgot I had one) theres a brand new in the box Dinosaur replacement board woooooooo hooooooooooooo fixed the problem...…..

MORAL OF THE STORY if a person carries a replacement circuit board and an ignitor tip for say his furnace, fridge and water heater he can so often cure many (not all) problems. Imagine being dry camped way out in the boonies and you need a new board or ignitor. First find a dealer and he probably does not have a board and has to order it grrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I also found another board but forget if its  the water heater or furnace. After this Im going to investigate and insure I have spare boards and ignitors for those three appliances. Sure those components may not be the problem but since it may be difficult and take time and driving to ever find one if needed I advise a person at least consider the idea of carrying spare parts. To each their own however...…….

Take care be safe and be prepared

Best wishes n God Bless yall

John T  Still in Austin Texas

I keep a Dinosour UIB-S universal ignitor board in my spares that covers many furnaces, water heaters, and fridges. Last winter I used my spare board to fix a neighbor's furnace, and as luck would have it, before I had a chance to replace it, my own water heater board went south. Fortunately, our coach has two Hydro-flame furnaces, and we were in Florida, so both really weren't needed. I borrowed the OEM ignitor board from the bedroom furnace and had the water heater up and running within minutes. It did take getting used to the ~20 second delay until the ignition kicked in, but that was a minor issue. A couple of days later I had two Dinosaur boards in hand along with Dinosaur's adapter mounting plate and cover for the water heater, and all was well again. The second Dinosaur board went back in my spares of course.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

You just mite put a battery charger in the bin along with the extra boards.

Customers call with no 12 vdc power.   Ok now, do you have a battery charger with you. No they say . It is at home.

Well go borrow one and hook it up to the batteries. Till I get there.

Just in case,.   Vern

4 hours ago, Wrknrvr said:

You just mite put a battery charger in the bin along with the extra boards.

Vern, GOOD ADVICE, it just so happens I carry a small battery charger and I don't think I've ever needed it, HOWEVER I know at least three times neighboring RVers have had to borrow it or my jumper cables for their RV or golf carts lol  Once we pulled into a rest stop and three cute young things (damsels in distress) approached the RV asking if we had a quart of oil??? They said we thought you might lol  They said they heard a clicking noise and checked oil and it was low NOTTTTTT I checked it and there wasn't any at all showing on the stick. The girl said her dad warned her to keep oil checked ??? I poured in 2 quarts for them (started and had pressure and no noise whewwwwwwww) and it showed so I told them go to the first gas station  and add more etc. They were quite appreciative and I was glad to help.

5 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

I keep a Dinosour UIB-S universal ignitor board in my spares that covers many furnaces, water heaters, and fridges

Yo Dutch, I also found another new spare board but forget if its a universal type or just what in the heck it is. I need to check that out and then label the boxes for any new ones I buy. Its Dinosaur shopping I'm going...……...

Thanks yall, take care

John T

Yep, good advice, Vern! I carry a 10 amp battery charger that served us well as a temporary converter substitute in a previous coach, as well charging up the toad once in awhile when we've forgotten to turn something off while towing.

Dutch

2 hours ago, Bill w/bus said:

Remember Dinosaur boards. Do not accept the OEM boards. That was a costly lesson learned back in the early 90's.

Bill

I agree about the superior Dinosaur boards, Bill, but I do have to add that the OEM boards in our two 17 year old furnaces are original and still working properly.

Dutch

12 minutes ago, Dutch_12078 said:

I agree about the superior Dinosaur boards, Bill, but I do have to add that the OEM boards in our two 17 year old furnaces are original and still working properly.

I too use Dinosaur circuit boards whenever possible but after owning RVs since 1972, and having helped others work on RV appliances on and off over that time, I can only remember replacing 1 furnace circuit board, and 3 or 4 water heater boards. I have replaced a few refrigerator circuit boards but no ignition circuit boards in a refrigerator. While I have never done that work for a business, I have used far less than 1 circuit board per year in any RV appliance. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

4 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

I do have to add that the OEM boards in our two 17 year old furnaces are original and still working properly.

Dutch, I've also seen OEM boards last that long or even  longer (RV owner since 1970) but typically when I replace one its with a Dinosaur of which so far I've never had any go bad KNOCK ON WOOD LOL Once years ago I called them for tech support on a Saturday and was informed I was speaking to the owner and he sure knew his stuff. After recently having to replace my Fridge circuit board the furnace up and quit and it turned out to be a faulty limit switch (RV dealer in Buda Texas had one) but I'm currently the proud owner of a spare furnace and hot water board just in case...BE PREPARED was my scout and still motto...…..but to each their own choices

As always love sparky chatting with you

John T  

Dino boards are definitely quality . 

I replaced both the fridge and furnace boards with them . No regrets . 

After regretfully tossing the furnace OEM board , I fixed the OEM fridge board to use as a spare . 

OEM boards lasted 16 & 17 years . No complaints there , either .

Goes around , comes around .

1 hour ago, oldjohnt said:

Dutch, I've also seen OEM boards last that long or even  longer (RV owner since 1970) but typically when I replace one its with a Dinosaur of which so far I've never had any go bad KNOCK ON WOOD LOL Once years ago I called them for tech support on a Saturday and was informed I was speaking to the owner and he sure knew his stuff. After recently having to replace my Fridge circuit board the furnace up and quit and it turned out to be a faulty limit switch (RV dealer in Buda Texas had one) but I'm currently the proud owner of a spare furnace and hot water board just in case...BE PREPARED was my scout and still motto...…..but to each their own choices

As always love sparky chatting with you

John T  

No question, John, I always use Dinosaur boards as replacements when needed on my own or any RV I work on. And as I said, it's what I keep in my spares. My first RV was a 1968 VW Westfalia camper conversion followed by several TT's before getting back into the motorized RV world with a 1985 Dolphin Class C. 

Dutch

Archived