States that offer nationwide PPO besides FL for premedicare FTers

5 minutes ago, Zulu said:

My link was an example of what not to do.

Ok.......Can you help me with why you think that is what not to do? I know a lot of people who have done exactly these steps as they become full timers. Where do you see problems? It seems as though she has severed all ties with IL and established domicile in FL.

Now I don't know whether she has established relationships with doctors, lawyers, churches, civic organizations, etc., but where has she gone wrong or where are the pitfalls? I think your insight would be valuable information to weigh.

10 minutes ago, Blues said:

What would getting a subsidy, regardless of size, have to do with anything?  It's just a form of payment to the insurance companies.  In fact, a person can get a subsidy without the insurance company ever even knowing about it by not claiming it against his monthly premiums but instead waiting to claim it when he files his income tax return after the end of the year for which he had coverage.

Valid points!

19 hours ago, Zulu said:

How do you know all the "required documents" you mentioned are necessary? Did you or someone you know try a SEP move?

I read the rules on what documentation is required/acceptable to prove a move that qualifies a person for a special enrollment period.

If you are always on the move, then using SEP isn't practical.

I agree.

3 hours ago, Zulu said:

What does matter is residency. For example, full timers who have FL ACA insurance and are never actually in the state might have to worry.

If that's the case, then what state would you suggest the person use to apply for health insurance?

1 hour ago, DonCoyote said:

Ok.......Can you help me with why you think that is what not to do? I know a lot of people who have done exactly these steps as they become full timers. Where do you see problems? It seems as though she has severed all ties with IL and established domicile in FL.

Now I don't know whether she has established relationships with doctors, lawyers, churches, civic organizations, etc., but where has she gone wrong or where are the pitfalls? I think your insight would be valuable information to weigh.

There are some (many?) full timers who establish a domicile in name only. That is, they do everything on the domicile checklist (establish relationships with doctors, lawyers, churches, civic organizations, etc.), but have no intention of ever actually residing in the state.

What I gleaned from the "I moved to Florida" blog is that she flew to FL, completed the FL domicile checklist, then left the state never intending to return. Other full timers are more subtle and just use quotes to describe their "move" to FL.

The I-don't-need-to-ever-reside-in-my-domicile attitude has been around for a long time. For example, remember the TX Speights voting rights trial about using the Escapee's mail service? What I find interesting about the trial are the 8 people who testified at the trial. Here are what two of them said:

Daniel Topping testified to being registered to vote in Polk County. He and his wife own an RV lot in Arizona, and he testified to receiving mail at Mesa, Arizona. He has never been to Polk County.

Joseph Beador and Judith Beador own a summer home and an RV lot in California. The Beadors are registered voters in Polk County. He testified that neither of them have ever been to Rainbow's End.

A lot of people (including yours truly) break the speed limit from time to time. But it's another thing to publicly incriminate yourself online.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

2 hours ago, Blues said:

. . .what state would you suggest the person use to apply for health insurance?

Florida.

If I was under 65, just starting full timing, and needed to buy my own health insurance, I'd set up domicile in FL and make sure to spend winters in the state.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

On 11/25/2018 at 7:17 PM, Zulu said:

Florida.

If I was under 65, just starting full timing, and needed to buy my own health insurance, I'd set up domicile in FL and make sure to spend winters in the state.

That's no different from a person who lives somewhere in a house but travels a whole lot.  I'm asking about fulltimers who travel constantly, and may not be in their domicile state for years at a time.  They're not allowed to use their domicile state for health insurance purposes?  And if not, which state should they use?

51 minutes ago, Blues said:

That's no different from a person who lives somewhere in a house but travels a whole lot.  I'm asking about fulltimers who travel constantly, and may not be in their domicile state for years at a time.  They're not allowed to use their domicile state for health insurance purposes?  And if not, which state should they use?

I told you what I would do -- Spend some time in my ACA health insurance state and travel less until Medicare. It may cramp my style, but I worry more about retaining my health insurance than seeing the sights.

There may not be a definitive answer. Contact Marketplace Help.

www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Actually, I think there is a definitive answer:  Use where you actually reside if that's possible, but if it's not, then use your domicile.  The purpose of the ACA is for people to have health insurance, not deny it to them because they travel around all the time. 

Healthcare.gov has provisions for homeless people without an address, and for snowbirds who have two different houses.  I think traveling fulltimers simply aren't a big enough or obvious enough group for their situation to get specifically addressed, but since all of them have a domicile, there's a definitive default for all of them, so  maybe it doesn't need to be specifically addressed.

And your link to Marketplace Help is just a form that will get forwarded to an agent or broker, and won't be answered by anyone actually associated with the Exchange.  Not much help there for this situation.

But for the record, I did call the Exchange phone number and asked a representative what I should do if I want to travel around away from home for the next year, and she put me on hold to ask someone, and came back and said I should use my home address.  Makes sense because...where else would I use?

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 9:54 AM, Blues said:

I had a home in WI and legal domicile and workamped in WY for a short period of time and was told by my insurance company and ACA that I should establish insurance in WY for the 3 months I was going to be there.  My insurance in WI said I was out of their service area.  I was told by some that I should have hidden this info from the insurance company.

I used a general delivery address in WY.

I would think you need to establish healthcare where you intend to use the healthcare.   If like me you only need preventive services once a year that is where I have my insurance and it is not my legal domicile but I do have land in that state and an address of a relative.

Archived