2 stroke Diesel is KING.

Pete Kildow

Amazing.  That would truly be the next step. 

Something workable with our current infrastructure and would take efficiency to the next level.   It would put all of the coal powered, electric, politically correct junk science (eg the pyramid scheme of Tesla) out the window.

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

There is a renaissance in looking at older designs, the material science and, systems controls today make these potentially viable.    One aspect of these engines that hurt them is cost, another weight, it will be interesting to see where this goes.

Here is an older application for this technology, it is used in applications where weight of the prime mover is not as significant as in over the road trucks.         https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairbanks_Morse_38_8-1/8_diesel_engine 

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

5 hours ago, Steve from SoCal said:

There is a renaissance in looking at older designs, the material science and, systems controls today make these potentially viable.    One aspect of these engines that hurt them is cost, another weight, it will be interesting to see where this goes.

Here is an older application for this technology, it is used in applications where weight of the prime mover is not as significant as in over the road trucks.         https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairbanks_Morse_38_8-1/8_diesel_engine 

Steve

I can see cost being an issue, at first at least, until production is ramped up.

Weight however, I don't believe is an issue.  A similar displacement inline 4-stroke diesel would weigh more because of the weight of the heads and valve train.

Av8r3400

TEq81qV.jpg

46 minutes ago, Av8r3400 said:

I can see cost being an issue, at first at least, until production is ramped up.

Weight however, I don't believe is an issue.  A similar displacement inline 4-stroke diesel would weigh more because of the weight of the heads and valve train.

While there is no cylinder head, 2 crankshafts, 2 sets of rods and pistons and, the timing gear is not trivial.     There may be a need for a balance shaft as well.      Cylinder pressure is a major factor in NO2 production as is combustion temp, if this is highly thermal efficient it would need after treatment.     That is where most of the problem in current diesel engines occurs.    These engines may be great power producers, saddled with clunky emission systems they may offer no better results than current production?     

Harry Ricardo wrote the bible of internal combustion in the 1920's and followed up with high speed engines in the 30's, there are some things we constantly reinvent.      I really wonder why Cat, Cummins, Mercedes, Volvo, Deutz, Scania,Mann or MTU et al have ignored this well known concept?     

Steve  

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

6 minutes ago, Steve from SoCal said:

While there is no cylinder head, 2 crankshafts, 2 sets of rods and pistons and, the timing gear is not trivial.     There may be a need for a balance shaft as well.      Cylinder pressure is a major factor in NO2 production as is combustion temp, if this is highly thermal efficient it would need after treatment.     That is where most of the problem in current diesel engines occurs.    These engines may be great power producers, saddled with clunky emission systems they may offer no better results than current production?     

Go to the YouTube channel given.  There is a lot of technical data and information given.  These engines are producing a fraction of the  NOx and CO2 compared to the current generation of engines.  Which makes the eco-radicals happy.  CARB is actually putting money into the venture.

This engine only has three (3) cylinders.  They contain 6 opposing pistons.  Yes there are two crankshafts, but since there are only 3 cylinders the crankshafts are shorter.  Will the two weigh less than the one longer one?  No, probably not.  But the weight of the cylinder heads, camshaft(s) and all of their associated gear will make up the difference and more.  Not to mention that a four-cycle engine has 80% of it's moving parts in the valve train, these are all eliminated.

But, will this go anywhere?  Probably not.  At least not without the politicians (read: corruption) involved.

Av8r3400

TEq81qV.jpg

Peterbilt's gotta build two trucks with that engine next year.  Then run one as a Tyson truck in Sacramento and I think a Wal-Mart somewhere else inside CA.  By this time next year we'll know how well it works out.  I think I heard Cummins has been building a bigger (still test?) version of them for something military for the past couple of years?

9 hours ago, Scrap said:

Peterbilt's gotta build two trucks with that engine next year.  Then run one as a Tyson truck in Sacramento and I think a Wal-Mart somewhere else inside CA.  By this time next year we'll know how well it works out.  I think I heard Cummins has been building a bigger (still test?) version of them for something military for the past couple of years?

The Cummins-Achates engine is a 4-cylinder, 8 piston version with 14.3L displacement meant for military use at first.

Av8r3400

TEq81qV.jpg

I love Dr. Lemke and his response to the first question, true entrepreneur and a scientist at the same time. Science for the sake of science is great, but applied science is the greatest. All my life I've been involved with companies and scientists whose driving principle was, lets invent something that is better than something that already exists.

I saw a similar thing when I was involved with Dr. Al Sanderson developing his invention  https://www.accu-tuner.com/  there were 7 patents on that design including several on basic electronic circuits like oscillators and filters. A "wit", apparently employed by Hewlett Packard, decided to critique the design in technical publication and question the validity of these patents, commenting that "if these were real Hewlett Packard would have patented those circuits long time ago" to which Dr. Sanderson simply replied, "just because Hewlett Packard didn't see it, does not prove anything".

Archived