Centramatic Balancers

Av8r3400

Is anyone running Centramatic balance rings on their truck?

Can you share your experiences and thoughts on these?

Thanks.

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

I put them on all 4 corners and they definitely made a difference in the feel of my ride.  I bought them on a pretty good sale, so I felt they were worth it.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

I have beads in the tires of my won-ton and that thing shakes like a (something that shakes a lot) going down the highway.  I've been very DISsatisfied with these in that application.  It is a 25 year old, 200k mile, farm truck, however.  I was surely not doing that on the "big" truck.

I wanted to know if Centramatic rings are also a snake oil ripoff.  Thank you for the endorsements!  I will definitely consider them with the new front tires going on soon.

Av8r3400

TEq81qV.jpg

37 minutes ago, Av8r3400 said:

I have beads in the tires of my won-ton and that thing shakes like a (something that shakes a lot) going down the highway.  I've been very DISsatisfied with these in that application.  It is a 25 year old, 200k mile, farm truck, however.  I was surely not doing that on the "big" truck.

I wanted to know if Centramatic rings are also a snake oil ripoff.  Thank you for the endorsements!  I will definitely consider them with the new front tires going on soon.

This is the FIRST supposed bad experience I've heard of from a bead user . I'd have to think that maybe you're using the wrong amount of beads or there is something else wrong with that truck .

Beads are definitely NOT snake oil . I ran / run beads with excellent results in multiple vehicles for about the last 20 years .

If they didn't work I'd be the first to say so . 

And , if you really think they are snake oil , why are you considering balance rings ? They work on the exact same principle as beads .

Goes around , comes around .

That's why I'm asking about the rings.  I've heard good things, but wanted to hear from this group.

The amount of beads (recommended by the tire seller) I have always questioned.  They never were smooth running.  I don't drive the truck enough to make me want to go to the effort to fix the issue.

Av8r3400

TEq81qV.jpg

I have only heard positive about the Centramatic rings and they are on my list of wants for my Haulmark truck conversion.

As far as beads go I had the owner of the tire shop I used, when managing a oilfield trucking company, told me that they used 1.5 to 2 times the recommended weight of beads and that one of the biggest factors is to make sure that the inside of the tire is absolutely dry, as in no water or excess mounting lube inside (causes beads clump or stick either to them selves or to the tire/rim) and to ensure that the air used to inflate the tire is dry. He actually recommended beads over rings for most of his customers (most of them did a lot of non-paved road driving).

14 hours ago, Av8r3400 said:

Is anyone running Centramatic balance rings on their truck?

Can you share your experiences and thoughts on these?

Thanks.

I have them front and rear.  Been on through two sets of different tires.  As far as I am concerned, they work well.  I was going to get a set for the camper, just haven't done it yet.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

I went with the centramatics because I had liquid balance in the drives.  I called Truck System Technology (tire pressure monitors) and they advised DEFINITELY not liquid and also advised against powder or beads saying they could cause issues with clogging the sensors.  I specifically asked how the beads would do this and was told over time the beads fracture off small pieces which can plug the sensor.  The tech said the beads were the better of the three internal balancers and I suspect that fracturing would take awhile.  It came down to preference and I had heard good things about the rings so my choice.  Personally I still think beads would be acceptable even with external sensors.  Wonder if they would be destructive to internal sensors?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Works and works well. Weights only work as long as everything stays the same. When you get tire wear. Clip on weights need to be changed. Get a rock or even some mud on on the wheel. Clip on weights are off.

Centramatic's change as the tire mass changes. You may feel the imbalance when first taking off. But when they move where they need to be. Works wonders for sure. I had a steer tire. That had gotten a broken belt. I could feel it below say 25 MPH, but as soon as I got above that. Even that broken belt was smoothed out.

our bigger tires are not as bad. As 19.5's hard to find one of those that will balance. On my Kodiak I had all 6 trued up. Hard to watch a machine cut off new rubber. But makes the wheel and tire round. Ride was smooth as you can get. That is for the first 8000 mile. Then back to  feeling a Vibration in the drive line.

It cost $360. to get those 6 tires Trued up. Did not last, so would have had to had it done again. The cost of Centramatic Balancers were about the same price. But keep working from new until tires are worn out.

event.png

I had them on my other truck for years (over 6 years) and worked great !  Had lots of problems with beads inside the tire so removed them all and went with Centramatics and the problems stopped and everything was smooth.  When I have the funds, will get them for my current truck.  Once I have them, can get back to doing my own tire service again.

Well, these glowing reviews had me ready to put a set of centramatics on my Christmas list, until I checked the price. Roughly $1,100 for a set on a tandem.  Yikes...........

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Rick, double check your info. I calculate more like $600-700. Roughly $200 an axle. Amazon has 22.5 steer axle set for $184 and drive axle set for $201. I didn't verify those are the exact sets but both are 22.5 inch sets. Price should be pretty close.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Hmmm... That makes sense,  'cause I saw the prices and assumed (dangerous territory) that the price was per wheel rather than per axle.  Hadn't had my coffee.   🤔

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I have run them on my this 450 and last 2 previous--never had to add a lead weight after installing.  The factory is in Alvarado, TX, right on I-35W, and they have a 3 large truck bays.   If you are going anywhere near there, and want an install, call Jerry Robertson and set an appt up.  They should be able to fit just about any wheel combos, but some towed RVs have odd clearances...

I run them on me won ton - had them on with 19.5’s, stored the 19.5’s now the won ton is semi retired from “towin’ heavy” (I love that term on rv forums ) I run chubby 17’s still using the Centramatics.

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

• 1 month later...

Be aware guys, in a used truck that has run over the road, these balancers sweat, and will clump inside the ring, and will be a blob inside the ring. Found this out after all 10 of mine I removed and tried to spin them in my arms. Some didn't move, a couple sounded like a golf ball was inside. I took them off after experiencing a vibration I thought was a u-joint or the power divider. I put in bags and all my vibration left. Just to prove this, go down to a commercial tire repair dealer and ask him. Better yet, let him hand you some from his scrap pile and you try it for yourself. They work great when new..... but up the road...….!

By the way, I was running these in my small fleet..... took every one off!

While not an HDT, I tries the Centamatic balanced on my F350 DRW.  I took them off and sent them back.  It shook like a tire was out of balance.  Had the tires checked, all running true and rims straight.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Archived