Fifth Wheel Inspection due

ms60ocb

There is a good chance I will be entering Texas Friday Nov 30. I'm looking for place to have my 40 foot Fifth wheel inspected before parking it Saturday for 4+ months.. I30 at Texarkana will be the entry point. Pending the time of day the route would continue via I30 or we would drop south to Marshall via Route 59 before heading west towards Tyler.

Looking for a place in or near Texarkana lets you get in & out easily . Any suggestion for getting inspection for a combined vehicle length of nearly 60 feet would be appreciated.

I have had vehicles inspected in Livingston, Kerrville and Fort Stockton but trying to find a Saturday location hadn't been a good option thus a Friday at Texarkana

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

Would not worry about the 3 days on the DPS site----get it situated for the four months without an inspection (unless you need a new registration for the year).  Find a place during the four months, and get it inspected when you are ready to leave.  Not suggesting you avoid the rules, but thinking about convenience...

We just completed a 7 month trip during which the registration on both truck/car/trailer ran out--got the truck and car online with the stipulation to get the inspection when back in TX...did not get the opportunity for either for about 20 days.  Got the trailer later also. The only problem might arise if you were stopped for a traffic violation, then it would be a pretty sad LEO attitude to hang you on that also.

Even if your trailer is due for an inspection because of renewal of registration in Texas, should be done up to 90 days before renewal, do it online and when they ask tell them you will be out of state. They will just renew and tell you about the three days after you get back to Texas. Good Luck

PS: How would the LEO know when you got back to Texas?

whj469 is correct, but this is kind of bending the rules like I suggested--I see nothing wrong with this approach. The TX trailer inspection is just a money grab anyway--$7.50 to look at brake/stop lights.  More a hassle to get hitched just for this.  Come into TX, get set up in CG, then find a place for when you leave.  Don't believe you will need the inspection in the CG....

Dave, since you are trying to do it right, you might want to look here. DPS has a searchable web page to find an inspection station. It will tell you if they do trailer inspections and also give you a phone number so you can verify that your rig will fit.

I like all the "hey just break the rules" answers. You could have done that without posting here, right? 

Safe Travels. 

PS: How would the LEO know when you got back to Texas?

They ask. Honest people tell the truth. Liars, well.......

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Off big 5er link , I would go Langdon's,  Pratt. or Shady Pines. Exit Hwy 59 south and all are on W.7th. Shady pines rv sale and service is farther out on the the right by miles.  Langdon and  Pratts are close together.  Langdon's is essentially at the southeast corner of 7th and Hwy 59. Go on online maps and look at it in advance to see the best access and to make sure it hasn't changed since I was there last.  Shady pines has a campground just a little bit further east than their location.  You probably know it isn't too far out to Wright Pattman lake with a COE campground and further south and a little less accessable is Atlanta SP

And, of course, you never speed?

I would feel a lot more obligated to get an inspection if it meant something--currently in the process of 'following the rules' and obtaining the exempt A license. Funny thing, a lot of the DPS people can't answer the same question with the same answer about their 'exempt' license.

But I get your point...

Thanks for the reply's  Big5er Thanks for the Link.

Now the rest of the story. My current plate expires Dec 31 and I wanted to be able to have an inspection before the anticipation parking  this weekend in Kerrville TX for 4+ months.

I hate to reconnect just to have an inspection so that was my intention of having an inspection Texarkana.. Little did I know that the weather would change out plans. The plans to leave Nov 26 was changed to 44 hours earlier due to pending storm storm  in NW Illinois for Nov 26 .

The result was I arrived in Texarkana on Wednesday instead of Friday PM so continued to Kerrville to get RV inspection today.

Clay. Yes the RV passed inspection

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

Archived