SW Florida HDT Owners

Foreverunstopable

Looking at the HDT guide there are a number of members in Florida.

Were in the Sarasota area and my wife and I would like to know if there are other HDT RVs in the area open to sharing their experience with us and possibly a tour of their rig?

Wife is really trying to get a good idea if she wants to sign off on a HDT vs MDT/1ton.

We will also be at the Tampa RV show in January.

Thanks in advance.

I doubt you'll have much luck finding HDTs in Florida, since putting a fifth wheel hitch on a M/H is not allowed there.  Bumper pulls are fine.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

If you are not towing commercially then I would recommend that you do NOT get CDL's. The training is fine, but don't get a CDL. You will probably need medical cards, you will not be able to take a defense driving class to void a ticket and you will then have one less bullet in your ammo belt to convince that officer that you really are using your HDT for non commercial use. Florida doesn't require an upgraded license, so why do it?

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

4 hours ago, Foreverunstopable said:

Looking at the HDT guide there are a number of members in Florida.

Were in the Sarasota area and my wife and I would like to know if there are other HDT RVs in the area open to sharing their experience with us and possibly a tour of their rig?

Wife is really trying to get a good idea if she wants to sign off on a HDT vs MDT/1ton.

We will also be at the Tampa RV show in January.

Thanks in advance.

I'm in the process of prepping my truck for that purpose and I'll be in North Port after the holidays. I'd be happy to discuss the process with you. Jay

We are set up in Davenport Fl near Kissimmee. Welcome anytime to visit check out rig and go for a ride if you wish. 

Also going to be set up at RV show in Tampa. 

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

Gail and I may be in Sarasota next summer. Probably May or June. Plans aren’t finalized yet, but we normally stay at Sun-n-Fun off of Fruitville Rd. We too do a bumper pull trailer.

Stay in touch if you like and I will let you know the dates when we finalize our plans.

Steve

Steve & Gail

2000 Volvo VNL660 Autoshift Detroit 60 12.7 "Semi Crazy"

2016 smart "Lil Crazy"

2018 Space Craft 48' TT "The Nut House"

KJ4YGY & KK4CTE

Volvo w SpaceCraft 1024.jpg

We are further down the road in Bonita Springs - below Fort Myers, if you are passing through this area or want to take a ride.  Ran into the "Florida" problem and elected to title/register out of state.  We pull a 5th wheel with a 2014 Volvo 780 named "Baby Bird".  Billr may recall what she is named after.....

Mark

2014 HDT Volvo 780 "Baby Bird"
2016 Smart Car "Baby Bird Turd" - on the back
2020 Momentum 376THS
We're both proud USAF Retirees...

13 hours ago, Big5er said:

If you are not towing commercially then I would recommend that you do NOT get CDL's. The training is fine, but don't get a CDL. You will probably need medical cards, you will not be able to take a defense driving class to void a ticket and you will then have one less bullet in your ammo belt to convince that officer that you really are using your HDT for non commercial use. Florida doesn't require an upgraded license, so why do it?

We want to be more educated about how to properly use an HDT while being as safe as possible on the road.

We also thought some of the classes give practical on the road training.

Have many members taken a course but not taken the test?

1 hour ago, COFLTravler said:

We are further down the road in Bonita Springs - below Fort Myers, if you are passing through this area or want to take a ride.  Ran into the "Florida" problem and elected to title/register out of state.  We pull a 5th wheel with a 2014 Volvo 780 named "Baby Bird".  Billr may recall what she is named after.....

Mark

Where did you choose to title/register and are you still FL DL residents?

If you haven't "pulled the trigger" by April, bring wifey to the East Coast Rally in Crossville, TN. There, she'll be able to see dozens of HDTs which most owners are happy to show off and talk about. LOTS of educational seminars too! Add in numerous social events and, you'll both have a GREAT week!

Charlie and I will be in Melbourne this winter.  That is midway down I-95 and on the east coast.  Wife and I arrive mid-December, Charlie will be there by New Year.  We both have Volvos and speaking for myself and I believe Charlie we would be glad to tell you what little we know and show you all the mistakes we made when we prepared our trucks.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

15 hours ago, COFLTravler said:

Mark

I do indeed!

😎

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

1 hour ago, remoandiris said:

Staying at Wickham Park?

Yep

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 5:26 AM, Foreverunstopable said:

Have many members taken a course but not taken the test?

In Alberta, all that's required is a class 5 and an air endorsement.  You can also triple tow, I've seen it done.

After moving to BC, the requirement changed to a CDL because of the truck being air and the trailer electric.  Add to that the whole rig weight over 8600 kg's.

So grudgingly I took the course.  In hindsight, I'm glad I did.  It has made me feel safer on the road.  I know:

• Where to position the left front wheel on an outside sweeping rt turn.
  • Knowing what offtrack is
  • Where to position my truck when making a sharp rt turn at a stop light or stop sign to prevent vehicles from passing on the inside or outside and making sure the back end of my trailer doesn't clip something on the sidewalk while initiating the turn.
  • To maintain a 5 second separation b/w me and the vehicle in front in good driving conditions.
  • At least 7 or more in poor driving conditions.
  • Stopping so the tires of the vehicle in front are visible on the road.  Any closer and they tend to feel uncomfortable and inch ahead because you are in their space.
  • How to do a proper precheck.  It took me 45 minutes going full bore to do during the exam.  I practiced it for over a week, twice a day until I got it down perfect.
  • When doing a pitstop, doing a walkaround, checking tires, hatches, lites.   making sure nothing was missed when you started out in the am, keys left in doors, sat dish up, hatches unlocked, cap on the sewer pipe holder.  How many sewer hoses have you seen by the side of the road??
  • When a Commercial rig is following me, I time his distance.  If he's 5 seconds or more, I don't worry .  If he or she's 2-3 seconds, then I look for a place to pull over to let him pass so he doesn't do something stupid to cause both of us problems.
  • I'm no gearhead, but the CDL did teach me what to look for and to identify problems or symptoms.

Whether we are talking about US or Canada, you can't go wrong.  At the very least, you'll learn something.

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 8:28 AM, Foreverunstopable said:

Where did you choose to title/register and are you still FL DL residents?

We still have a home out of state and registered the rig there - Florida is not HDT friendly as you may have noticed on the forum

Mark

2014 HDT Volvo 780 "Baby Bird"
2016 Smart Car "Baby Bird Turd" - on the back
2020 Momentum 376THS
We're both proud USAF Retirees...

Archived