New Coolant Reservoir

Vegas Teacher

I got my coolant reservoir changed today at southern tire Mart. 95.00 for 1 hour of labor and 293.00 for  aftermarket parts. Not having to turn a wrench, get frustrated, brake something and wonder if I did it right, plus took my wife out for lunch and spent a day making memories with her, priceless.

Later Cory Ossana 

Teach, 

In reading your last comment IMHO save your tool money for something you want.     You don't seem to have a desire to do mechanical work or the heart or passion for it.     There is no harm in that, some folks like "tinkering" others have better things to do on their free time.      Unless and until you find working on your truck satisfying save your money for things you will use.   A battery powered anything has a battery with a finite life, buying it and tucking it away is doing you or the tool no good.     

First you sound apprehensive about working on the truck, that may be due to fear of failure or lack of knowledge.     The way to build confidence is to learn the skills, take some classes or start reading about the basics.       Build on that IF you have the desire, if you still have no interest in it once you get an intro you have lost little in time and money.       That said, you should have enough basic knowledge to perform a compete pretrip inspection.     Can you complete that and confirm your truck is safe to operate?      

These trucks are not just bigger cars, they have systems that need function tests to confirm their status.      Do you perform an air brake test the first time you start the truck when you drive it?      Do you do a walk around?      You have a bit of an idea of how these trucks drive, ever do a panic stop?    Ever go to a wet parking lot and get the back end loose?       Before you buy tools you likely won't use, invest the time to learn your truck and, the care and feeding.     Driving a big truck takes a commitment, a commitment that jumping in a car or pick up can't compare with.   

Steve       

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

1 hour ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

You know, that Steve guy is kinda smart even if he IS from California. :ph34r:

I demand a recount on that statement 🧐

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Not just directed at Cory, but all newbies should pay attention to what Steve said!  Even us oldies need to be reminded!

Is this Steve who has the shop in Hutch?   Being FROM CA is a good thing!  No offense Chad or anyone else still there.  😁

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

5 hours ago, HERO Maker said:

Not just directed at Cory, but all newbies should pay attention to what Steve said!  Even us oldies need to be reminded!

Absolutely correct.  Some of us need to quit buying tools, so that our kids can get pennies for them on an auction.  Let's put that money in our fuel tanks instead.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I agree with what you have all said. When going through college I used to install car stereos and build speaker boxes at a stereo shop. In my car I used to do some of the minor repairs and oil changes, no big deal. However I never had my car shut down, lock up its brakes and refuse to move. My semi did on a trip, when a Schrader valve blew out. I have never encountered a nut which refused to come off, when using a 1/2 inch impact wrench on a car, I did on my semi. So you guys are correct, I just don't feel like doing any of my own labor on this truck when southern tire Mart is so cheap.

On 11/20/2018 at 2:30 AM, Steve from SoCal said:

Teach, 

In reading your last comment IMHO save your tool money for something you want.     You don't seem to have a desire to do mechanical work or the heart or passion for it.     There is no harm in that, some folks like "tinkering" others have better things to do on their free time.      Unless and until you find working on your truck satisfying save your money for things you will use.   A battery powered anything has a battery with a finite life, buying it and tucking it away is doing you or the tool no good.     

First you sound apprehensive about working on the truck, that may be due to fear of failure or lack of knowledge.     The way to build confidence is to learn the skills, take some classes or start reading about the basics.       Build on that IF you have the desire, if you still have no interest in it once you get an intro you have lost little in time and money.       That said, you should have enough basic knowledge to perform a compete pretrip inspection.     Can you complete that and confirm your truck is safe to operate?      

These trucks are not just bigger cars, they have systems that need function tests to confirm their status.      Do you perform an air brake test the first time you start the truck when you drive it?      Do you do a walk around?      You have a bit of an idea of how these trucks drive, ever do a panic stop?    Ever go to a wet parking lot and get the back end loose?       Before you buy tools you likely won't use, invest the time to learn your truck and, the care and feeding.     Driving a big truck takes a commitment, a commitment that jumping in a car or pick up can't compare with.   

Steve       

So true.....sage advice.

Archived