HDT with 4 seat toad on bed and travel trailer

Foreverunstopable

Weve searched the forums and found a few posts on fulltime HDTs with kids but not a specific topic combining all of the points in this question.

Were a family of 4 with 1yo and 4yo.

We want to find or build a mid roof HDT auto shift/ishift which would qualify as an RV in Florida [Fridge/porta head/shore power/no 5th wheel attached] with preferably a work station and 2 side windows and 1 in the rear for looking out.

We want a bed or box on the rear which can carry a 4 seat vehicle, preferably with 4 doors. We have a minivan and a prius currently but open to a different toad, etc.

We want to tow a 4 season travel trailer, either Bigfoot 2500, Roughneck or equivalent and plan on State Park/National Park etc. Camping where possible to fit.

Last point, would prefer to keep the entire truck length under 30ft...

We are in contact with a few HDT ower with Rigs for sale and would appreciate any other ideas on the subject, photos of similar rigs or leads to potential HDTs already setup like this. 

Thanks in advance.

Edit: If other Full timers think we can get by on a single short as the only vehicle, we could consider that also but would prefer a toad and not the wife following driving the toad. 

There are only a couple of models out there that have Work stations so start with looking at those versions and take measurements from front bumper to back of cab. Add to that dimension the length of the vehicle you want to put on the bed plus 3-4" for clearance to back of cab and that will give you an idea on the overall length of the truck.

You could overhang the vehicle off the back but that will depend on clearance needed for trailer to swing and too many variables to discuss here.

Getting as small as four door vehicle as you can handle will help out your overall length.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

The bit about keeping it under 30 feet is possible just barely.    A truck with the workstation will have the larger IE longer sleeper, the front bumper to the back of the sleeper length is roughly 16 feet, a Scion XB, Kia Soul, Honda Fit would be about 14 feet.   In practical terms 30-31' I don't think you can legally have the vehicle on the deck extend beyond the back of the truck?      With a vertical exhaust you could loose another 10-12" depending on the placement.     

The car will need some substantial ramps to load, handling these will not be trivial.    

Steve    

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

We carry a Subaru Forester on the back of our Volvo HDT.  We load the car at an angle, with the nose of the car above the small sleeper.  Our truck with a 5er hitch is a little less than 30' but the sleeper is only 42". We didn't want a larger sleeper and it was not required where we live for registration.  4 ramps are used to load the car.  Each is 8'.  The first set mounts to the car support structure and extends down beyond the bed past the 5th wheel hitch. The next set attaches to the first set and extends to the ground.  I built these ramps and each weighs about 45 pounds.  These are over built.  With a larger sleeper 30' for the HDT should be doable.  With the nose of the car over the sleeper, between the stacks and at an angle saves a couple of feet as long as the sleeper is not to tall.  This also opens the bed up under the car for more stuff.  We carry a RZR across the bed, two 100 gallon water tanks and a generator there.  12' of ramp from the bed to the ground is about as short as will work for us and we have to dump the rear air bags to make that angle work.  I sold our old Frieghtliner and a bed to a guy that was going to carry a Jeep on the HDT and pull a travel trailer but I never saw it loaded or the ramp setup.  Maybe some of this will give you some ideas. 

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

In my state your load can extend 3' behind your vehicle without flagging. Then you need to flag the load I am not sure what the total lenth after that is. You can put lights on the load, as your load has its own lights you would just need a plug between the truck and the car. We have extended the frame on 3 trailers giving more room between the box and the truck.

7 hours ago, Randyretired said:

We carry a Subaru Forester on the back of our Volvo HDT.  We load the car at an angle, with the nose of the car above the small sleeper.  Our truck with a 5er hitch is a little less than 30' but the sleeper is only 42". We didn't want a larger sleeper and it was not required where we live for registration.  4 ramps are used to load the car.  Each is 8'.  The first set mounts to the car support structure and extends down beyond the bed past the 5th wheel hitch. The next set attaches to the first set and extends to the ground.  I built these ramps and each weighs about 45 pounds.  These are over built.  With a larger sleeper 30' for the HDT should be doable.  With the nose of the car over the sleeper, between the stacks and at an angle saves a couple of feet as long as the sleeper is not to tall.  This also opens the bed up under the car for more stuff.  We carry a RZR across the bed, two 100 gallon water tanks and a generator there.  12' of ramp from the bed to the ground is about as short as will work for us and we have to dump the rear air bags to make that angle work.  I sold our old Frieghtliner and a bed to a guy that was going to carry a Jeep on the HDT and pull a travel trailer but I never saw it loaded or the ramp setup.  Maybe some of this will give you some ideas. 

Are you able to carry a Rzr across the bed and a car up on the ramps at the same time or were just giving different scenarios you do with the bet setup? Is that a full size Rzr 800-1000cc? 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

A 4 door Jeep will be a challenge if you want to stay 30' or so with the truck. 

b1pBMJ9l.jpg

But there are other SUV options out there that do fit the bill.

My body is over built for hauling a car, but it can handle bigger toys.

afiaxPIl.jpg

There is one HDT I have seen pictures of with a roll back body to carry a car and pull a TT. Slick outfit.

9 hours ago, BlueLghtning said:

Are you able to carry a Rzr across the bed and a car up on the ramps at the same time or were just giving different scenarios you do with the bet setup? Is that a full size Rzr 800-1000cc? 

I put the RZR under the front of the car across the bed.  The roll bar is removed and it is tight but the overall height is just 13'.  The RZR is a 800, 50" wide and 102" long.

Randy

43 minutes ago, Randyretired said:

3Up8UpIl.jpg

This is hopefully a pic of my HDT with the car.  Under the car across the bed is where the RZR loads.  The stops are on the passenger side

This pic looks like it could be done with the parts from a wrecked car carrier.  They have cylinders to lift the deck after loading.  Are also designed for that sort of use.  With the roof mounted air deflector, the front of the car can avoid catching bugs and air.

Marcel

2 hours ago, lockmup68 said:

can be done . 

I agree with lockemup68, but 30 feet will be a challenge.

Your sleeper will need to be small. This limits the work station availability. A Volvo 730 or 780 with a 13 -14 foot deck would be 33 feet +/-.

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

A 12' deck would easily suffice for the Forester but there are shorter 4 door cars.  The car support structure is made from scrapped aluminium except for the uprights.  The  dual stack structure was reinforced and modified to also support the front of the car and steel uprights were fabricated for the rear.  There is a small bend in the car supports to allow for the RZR to fit underneath and not exceed 13' height.  When the car isn't needed the car support on the drivers side folds back so the RZR can be loaded without removing the roll bar. The black boxes on both sides of the bed contain a 100 gallon fresh and a 100 gallon waste tank, with RV type dump fixtures.  Although it is overkill the car is held in place with 2 straps at each corner pulling front and back.  With the all wheel drive the car easily drives on and off.  There are pockets where each tire rests so that the car is in the same spot each time.  There are also sides on these pockets and the ramps so the car cannot slide to either side.  Transporting cars this high will transmit sensation to the truck if left to move freely on the suspension so the car frame transport attachments are used and a couple more were bolted to the frame as needed.  We boondock a lot and both rear axles are air lockers.  This has been our setup for 12 years or so.

Randy

Interesting.  That should definitely work for what you want to do.  You still might be pushing your max length requirements, but it looks like a nice bed.  What’s the name of the company?

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

4ever.........look at COE......easy peasy to stay short....

Plenty of folks will howl about rough ride and.....and.....and......of course the will be Ex-perts with Zero miles logged in a COE.......Zero...

Couple of forum tow with COE and....smile...

Drive on.......(COE.....think class A motorhome)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Archived