Canada HDTs

Foreverunstopable

Can be a hassle to import them to the US unless the dealer is helping you. Also, depending on the part of Canada, they may be well soaked in road salt.

I went and got a truck in MS, that never saw much salt. Only rust on it was one of the sleeper vents. I cut the vent out and put in a window...

What Moresmoke said.  We bought a truck from the Toledo, Ohio area.  Fighting rust is a loosing battle.

That said, our work truck, a similar vintage Mack, has nearly no rust, even though it came from Cleveland.  I suspect the wash practices of previous owners might be a factor.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Ours was a Southern truck and no rust on it either. Also did not have a block heater or fuel heaters so you know winter travel was limited. The ones near us in Minnesota had lots of rust. Some trucking outfits only haul in certain areas which helps. Ours was owned by  PAM truck ing originally.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

I bought my truck from Canada and Rick Lacombe handled all the paperwork. He picked me up at the airport, took me to the ruck, Gave me a driving lesson to be sure that I would be safe. He handed me all the paperwork I needed and I went home to Michigan. Never a bit of trouble crossing the border or getting registered in Michigan.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

In my opinion, having seen many many trucks from Canada, you have to be VERY selective. Not only do the harsh chemicals and winter conditions cause rust, but they prematurely age other aspects of the truck. And some of the CND trucks are in pretty hard service. So knowing the background of the truck is important. I've personally owned a "clean" Canadian-sourced truck. I won't again. But that is just my opinion. If you know what you are looking for there are good trucks to be found in the US.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Archived