Sign in to follow this  
OregonJim

Does working change the vehicle class?

Serious question:  If one works from their RV, shouldn't the RV be treated as a commercial vehicle (if GVW is > 10k lbs)?

If the argument is that they don't work while they are driving, then what about all the YouTubers who film their travels while driving and derive income from it?  Shouldn't they be registered commercial and be required to have a CDL? 

A recent webinar at https://www.escapees.com/education/has this addressed. The folks with their branding decorating their RV look to be a business vehicle but there's parameters or guides that set limits as folks also place stickers on the rig which is advertisement as well depending on the definition. 

Look for this in the Archive at a later date on escapees.com

Edited by rm.w/aview

4 hours ago, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

Soft area there.  People who sell stuff from their RVs are in the same situation.  Pretty hard for a LEO to tell is someone is doing business in their RV.

Yes, in many cases it would be hard to tell.  But, if someone DOES get caught, could they be fined/ticketed for driving an unregistered commercial vehicle, or for driving without a CDL?  Seems to me that they take a BIG risk - especially those who advertise their activity on YouTube.  

Edited by OregonJim

2 hours ago, OregonJim said:

Yes, in many cases it would be hard to tell.  But, if someone DOES get caught, could they be fined/ticketed for driving an unregistered commercial vehicle, or for driving without a CDL?  Seems to me that they take a BIG risk - especially those who advertise their activity on YouTube.  

Then they get their day in court.

I think it would all be according to the state registration. Each state will have it's own definition of Commercial Use.