These Ain't No Holiday Lights

RandyA

I needed another project.

I like lights, especially lights that might improve my visibility and movement intentions to clueless 4-wheeler drivers that for some unexplainable reason can’t see a semi-tractor and a 40-foot fiver.

I had previously installed some smaller red-amber-clear lights at a small angle on the cab fairing hoping they would get the attention of passing vehicles.  But, they were too small and dim to receive much notice in daylight.

I thought about getting some of those dinner plate size school bus lights.  In reality, that would possibly be overkill.

Instead, I dropped some more coin on Amazon and ordered two 3-hole chrome steel 4" round light mounting plates and a full set of six  4-inch red-amber-clear LED taillights. I had previously used the little strobe flasher modules on the fiver, truck taillights and boat trailer and really liked them (Thank you Charlie).

I wired them to the OEM semi-trailer light circuit so there is a red running/tail light with a brighter red stop light in the top unit.  The amber is a full brightness fast-strobing turn signal light only.  The clear on the bottom are automatic backup lights.

I used a piece of 1-1/2” aluminum angle and stainless steel nuts and bolts to attach them to the fairing.  They were a little unstable so I included a brace made from some scrap aluminum tube to be sure they are steady.

WOW!  Their angle slightly pointing out and height are perfect for giving a clear warning to any vehicle on either side of me that can’t seem to look down and see the truck taillights.  The mounting angle allows them to "peek out" from the front of the connected fiver and are very visible.  Location, etc. may not meet DOT directives but I am not concerned about any possible citations.  On this truck, I just don't believe that is going to happen.🤞

Yea, I know.  They won’t make any difference to some of the yah-whoos with a phone glued to their ear.  Maybe my next project will be an arm with a flashing arrow that flips out and squirts dye on any ignoramus that tries to cut me off.📱

Oh, those other things on the back are my auxiliary air hose tanks and reel, Single LNB Dish & Tripod (just a carrier), King ControlsTV Antenna, 25-watt Solar panel, 700 line rearview camera, and the outside part of a 6,000 BTW airconditioner.  On the outer edge of the faring are two 32-watt LED floods and a VHF Ham Radio Antenna,

lhmff55.jpg

ZPjrPEc.jpg

5D5HIu9.jpg

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

VERY nice!  It seems like drivers speed up to keep you in a lane nowadays when you want to pull out. I added Chevy S-10 Blazer hi-mounted brake lights vertical on the outer edge of my truck's mirrors . Blend right in, & I get more respect now.  PM me if you want a pic & I'll dig one up.

You'd have to see the movie to understand..........

1 hour ago, ARGO said:

VERY nice!  It seems like drivers speed up to keep you in a lane nowadays when you want to pull out. I added Chevy S-10 Blazer hi-mounted brake lights vertical on the outer edge of my truck's mirrors . Blend right in, & I get more respect now.  PM me if you want a pic & I'll dig one up.

Just post the pic(s) so everyone can get an idea .

And , looks to be a nice set up , Randy . ;)

Goes around , comes around .

Howdy Randy 

I like your setup nicely done 

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

3 hours ago, ARGO said:

VERY nice!  It seems like drivers speed up to keep you in a lane nowadays when you want to pull out.

I can't always blame them.  I don't enjoy following an 8' x 13' solid wall down the highway.  I once thought about rear projecting a movie on the rear window wall to entertain followers, but that might be even worse.  Two things I hate - one is the guy that gets right beside the trailer on a 4-lane highway and will not move so you can get over for a slower vehicle.  The other is, of course, the guy behind you that speeds up when you signal to pull out blocking you into slower traffic.  I can add a third - The trucker starting up a hill that suddenly jerks out into the passing lane just inches from your front bumper with NO SIGNAL to pass a marginally slower truck in front and then stays side by side for the next several miles constantly getting slower and slower.  Highway driver courtesy has become a rarity.  That and most 4-wheelers have no clue about stopping or acceleration distances required of a bigger rig and apparently don't care either.  This can be a dangerous precursor to a road rage situation.  I see it happening all the time!

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Those lights look really good in that position. 

I did this on our truck at the top of the ramps.4KqgHHsl.jpg

they were twe old lights off the back of the truck when I bought it. Now they a led lights.

I did not expect anything different when they were installed. But I guess the height of the light does get the drivers attention. So they do work for those last drivers that do not care. If not then turn the steering wheel to show it to them.

Thanks for your idea,.   Vern

Archived