Towing Course

HazNavy

Before I go out and purchase my desired 30' travel trailer, I would like to take a driving course.  I am located in the Pacific Northwest and have my tow vehicle and the time to do this over the next several months.  Can anyone recommend a driving course with certified instructors?  Thank you in advance.

v/r

HazNavy

Very Respectfully,

HazNavy

That driving course is wonderful! I have taken it with two different rigs. But, I recommend you buy your trailer before taking it as they will teach you skills you can't learn by just driving the tow vehicle--like how to determine how far to pull into an intersection so your trailer doesn't cut the corner.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

5 hours ago, HazNavy said:

...Before I go out and purchase my desired 30' travel trailer, I would like to take a driving course...

I believe the RV Driving School requires that students provide their own equipment.

This quote is from an individual that states they are an instructor for the RV Driving School.

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 5:32 PM, dlcarsonak said:

RV Driving School will not teach a lesson if the TT is over 25 ft. They are not safe.

I contacted the RV Driving School about this statement and did not get a definitive answer just BS about their liability.

5 hours ago, HazNavy said:

Can anyone recommend a driving course with certified instructors?

The RV Driving School's past advertisements for instructors on this forum and others do not say anything about certification as a driver training instructor being required. One recruitment advertisement I remember stated that a CDL (not a CDL instructors certificate) was a plus. Their website says that the owner is certified as a safe driving instructor in one state. (I had to take a safe driving course every two years for my job. It never included any behind the wheel training.) I do not belief that certification as a safe driving instructor is the same as certification as a driver training instructor in most states.

Any training is likely better than none and practice and experience is definitely needed.

I seriously doubt if there is a certification for RV driving. Such a small population. I can understand their statement of a 30' being too long. That is a lot of trailer to deal with. We had a 28' once and it was long...................Much happier when we went with a 5th.

You might need to learn the way most of us did, practice, practice, practice.............

Archived