Steer tire life (sidewall cracking)

jeffw

Our steer tires are dated 12/2013 and so they're almost 7 years old. One tire is starting to show cracking alng the center of the sidewall. What's the thinking on lifespan for steers in our application? Should I look to replace them at the start of 2019? The truck will sit all winter.

steer%20tire.jpg?raw=1

2007 Volvo 780 Volvo D12D, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Sitting is what kills tires.  That is why RV usage is shorter than other type. 

We pushed our truck tires to 6 years and then they were replaced.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Seven years is about the max I would push a tire for our application (especially a steer tire - I might go a little longer on a drive that had no signs of cracking).  As Mark says, sitting is bad for a tire and the way we use our rigs they tend to sit a lot.  If it were a farm truck that just ran back and forth out to the fields, I would probably go longer.  For pulling my RV/home down the highway, seven years is my max.  I plan to change my steers out next year at seven years and they show no signs of cracking at all (nor any significant tread wear since I only have about 50000 miles on them).

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Like Chad said.  I keep fresh steers on the camper truck, and the farm semi is wearing the same tires that were on it when I bought it used, in 2010.  That said, they don't have any cracks, yet.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I've got Toyos on my IH MDT and they are over 10 YO.  I drive it regularly but they are showing their age.  Looking at replacements.  Not sure I want to pay the price for TOYO again.  They seem to be a great tire but expensive for RV use.  What say you??

Marcel

Agreed . If you can see cracks on the outside , what do the insides look like ? 

Seems to me , unless you like living on the edge , those should be replaced .

As for rpsinc's Toyo tires , You don't think 10 years is good enough proof that they are a quality tire ? 

Price ? Pay now or pay later . At least the NOW part you have some control over , as opposed to the LATER part , which might not be so 'convenient' . ;)

Goes around , comes around .

No doubt in my mind that Toyo is a good brand.  I am also working on value too.  I have 3 trucks and they need tires frequently(construction contractor), so I look for value and recommendations.  I have not had a blow out and just returned from a 3000 mile trip but I know that I need an alignment and at least steers.  So working on it.  Leaning toward some Hercules, as put them on trailer and they have performed well.

Marcel

Depending on where you buy new tires, you may find that you can get a significant "trade in" credit for your current tires.  On two occasions I have purchased tires at TA and was pleasantly surprised at what I got for my old tires.   The first tire shop I checked wanted $20 each to dispose of my old tires.  I then went to a TA (Truckstops of America or Petro) and they offered me about $100 each for my used tires with good tread after we had agreed on the cost of a new tire and install. TA will resell the good used tires as trailer tires.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

6 hours ago, rpsinc said:

No doubt in my mind that Toyo is a good brand.  I am also working on value too.  I have 3 trucks and they need tires frequently(construction contractor), so I look for value and recommendations.  I have not had a blow out and just returned from a 3000 mile trip but I know that I need an alignment and at least steers.  So working on it.  Leaning toward some Hercules, as put them on trailer and they have performed well.

If you go through a lot of tires look at Double Coin. We run a few on the farm and on side dump trailers. Can't complain.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

9 hours ago, sclord2002 said:

I like Sailun tires. I have 8 drives, 4 on the camper and will go with them for steers when iIneed them.  Charlie

I've been running the Sailun drives on my Mack for several years.  Like them well enough that I'm putting a set on the 5er.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Last set I put on the trailer we’re Hankook.  May just be perceptions but I thought they rode better than the Goodyears I was replacing.  I have Toyo steers on the truck and Goodyear drives but will probably replace drives with cheaper when I need to.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I'm also contemplating new steers for the trip to the ECR in April.  Does anyone have any photos (or link) of what they consider acceptable checking versus un-acceptable checking?

I'm showing some circumferential surface checks (similar to Jeff, but not quite as open) on the sidewall down by the lettering on both my steers and drivers (recaps) both less than 5 years old.  I'm thinking "better safe than sorry" but don't want to just throw money away....

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

Have had my htd for 7 yrs. now. Its had sat in a barn for 12 yrs. and didn't ask the owner when tires where replaced. The Michelins on front and drives are Daytons. No signs of cracking and are like brand new. Truck came from Mi. and so the drives are a little aggresive. I live on a gravel rd. and they will pick up stones and have put quite a few noticable dings in trailer.

A copy of the Michelin tire crack guide may be viewed here. I''ve lost my link.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

On 11/19/2018 at 7:46 AM, rickeieio said:

I've been running the Sailun drives on my Mack for several years.  Like them well enough that I'm putting a set on the 5er.

I'm totally sold on Sailun tires.  6 on my TH and have crossed the Continent 2 times all ready.  New Sailun steers for my rig in the spring.

I've got to tell a story.  I has to do with cracks in tire sidewalls and how unscrupulous individuals may try to hide them.

We need to go way back to my much, much younger days.  One of the employees at the paint and body shop where I frequently hung out was fixing up an old pickup that he wanted to sell.  The rust holes had been filled with Gulf Wax (paraffin).  The tires still had fair tread but had cracks in the sidewall that were obviously much larger than what would be considered acceptable.   So, Harry took the tires off the truck and laid them down flat on the floor.  He then slopped melted tar over the sidewalls filling the cracks.  When finished the tires looked like new.  The guy that bought the truck had no clue.  The last I saw the truck was in a parking lot about 2 years later.  Same tires still on the truck and the rust that was fixed with paraffin still looked great.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Hey Randy. I’ll get morbid but look at Lenin’s corpse. 90 yrs later still looks good. Coated in paraffin wax. 

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Archived