jeffw

Steer tire life (sidewall cracking)

Our steer tires are dated 12/2013 and so they're almost 7 years old. One tire is starting to show cracking alng the center of the sidewall. What's the thinking on lifespan for steers in our application? Should I look to replace them at the start of 2019? The truck will sit all winter.

steer%20tire.jpg?raw=1

Seven years is about the max I would push a tire for our application (especially a steer tire - I might go a little longer on a drive that had no signs of cracking).  As Mark says, sitting is bad for a tire and the way we use our rigs they tend to sit a lot.  If it were a farm truck that just ran back and forth out to the fields, I would probably go longer.  For pulling my RV/home down the highway, seven years is my max.  I plan to change my steers out next year at seven years and they show no signs of cracking at all (nor any significant tread wear since I only have about 50000 miles on them).

Like Chad said.  I keep fresh steers on the camper truck, and the farm semi is wearing the same tires that were on it when I bought it used, in 2010.  That said, they don't have any cracks, yet.

I've got Toyos on my IH MDT and they are over 10 YO.  I drive it regularly but they are showing their age.  Looking at replacements.  Not sure I want to pay the price for TOYO again.  They seem to be a great tire but expensive for RV use.  What say you??

Agreed . If you can see cracks on the outside , what do the insides look like ? 

Seems to me , unless you like living on the edge , those should be replaced .

As for rpsinc's Toyo tires , You don't think 10 years is good enough proof that they are a quality tire ? 

Price ? Pay now or pay later . At least the NOW part you have some control over , as opposed to the LATER part , which might not be so 'convenient' . ;)

No doubt in my mind that Toyo is a good brand.  I am also working on value too.  I have 3 trucks and they need tires frequently(construction contractor), so I look for value and recommendations.  I have not had a blow out and just returned from a 3000 mile trip but I know that I need an alignment and at least steers.  So working on it.  Leaning toward some Hercules, as put them on trailer and they have performed well.

Depending on where you buy new tires, you may find that you can get a significant "trade in" credit for your current tires.  On two occasions I have purchased tires at TA and was pleasantly surprised at what I got for my old tires.   The first tire shop I checked wanted $20 each to dispose of my old tires.  I then went to a TA (Truckstops of America or Petro) and they offered me about $100 each for my used tires with good tread after we had agreed on the cost of a new tire and install. TA will resell the good used tires as trailer tires.

6 hours ago, rpsinc said:

No doubt in my mind that Toyo is a good brand.  I am also working on value too.  I have 3 trucks and they need tires frequently(construction contractor), so I look for value and recommendations.  I have not had a blow out and just returned from a 3000 mile trip but I know that I need an alignment and at least steers.  So working on it.  Leaning toward some Hercules, as put them on trailer and they have performed well.

If you go through a lot of tires look at Double Coin. We run a few on the farm and on side dump trailers. Can't complain.

9 hours ago, sclord2002 said:

I like Sailun tires. I have 8 drives, 4 on the camper and will go with them for steers when iIneed them.  Charlie

I've been running the Sailun drives on my Mack for several years.  Like them well enough that I'm putting a set on the 5er.

Last set I put on the trailer we’re Hankook.  May just be perceptions but I thought they rode better than the Goodyears I was replacing.  I have Toyo steers on the truck and Goodyear drives but will probably replace drives with cheaper when I need to.

I'm also contemplating new steers for the trip to the ECR in April.  Does anyone have any photos (or link) of what they consider acceptable checking versus un-acceptable checking?

I'm showing some circumferential surface checks (similar to Jeff, but not quite as open) on the sidewall down by the lettering on both my steers and drivers (recaps) both less than 5 years old.  I'm thinking "better safe than sorry" but don't want to just throw money away....

Edited by Av8r3400

Have had my htd for 7 yrs. now. Its had sat in a barn for 12 yrs. and didn't ask the owner when tires where replaced. The Michelins on front and drives are Daytons. No signs of cracking and are like brand new. Truck came from Mi. and so the drives are a little aggresive. I live on a gravel rd. and they will pick up stones and have put quite a few noticable dings in trailer.

On 11/19/2018 at 7:46 AM, rickeieio said:

I've been running the Sailun drives on my Mack for several years.  Like them well enough that I'm putting a set on the 5er.

I'm totally sold on Sailun tires.  6 on my TH and have crossed the Continent 2 times all ready.  New Sailun steers for my rig in the spring.

I've got to tell a story.  I has to do with cracks in tire sidewalls and how unscrupulous individuals may try to hide them.

We need to go way back to my much, much younger days.  One of the employees at the paint and body shop where I frequently hung out was fixing up an old pickup that he wanted to sell.  The rust holes had been filled with Gulf Wax (paraffin).  The tires still had fair tread but had cracks in the sidewall that were obviously much larger than what would be considered acceptable.   So, Harry took the tires off the truck and laid them down flat on the floor.  He then slopped melted tar over the sidewalls filling the cracks.  When finished the tires looked like new.  The guy that bought the truck had no clue.  The last I saw the truck was in a parking lot about 2 years later.  Same tires still on the truck and the rust that was fixed with paraffin still looked great.