frame rail z cut

runaway parents

I never use a backing strip. Not needed. I can make a full pen weld with out it. ?That's what i do. If i couldn't, I would not have a job. Doesn't matter the thickness. At first, I could not understand why you used a backing strip. Seems so unusual to me. But then remembered I not posting to professional welders.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Glen,

Lot of non professionals in a lot of things that get posted on this forum.  That’s why it’s always good when the poster explains something in plain language like David did.  I basically quit reading a thread when it uses language, terms, or information I don’t understand, but love learning about things I will never be able to do as well as you pros.  At least I can see how it should be done.  You’d be surprised to see what reading becomes interesting when you’re retired and bored.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Glen,  just curious as to what AWS certifications you hold as to weld types and the positions you are qualified in. I'm not that familiar with low pressure pipe welds, mainly heavy structural and comercial nuclear plant or DOD/DOE nuclear facilities.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Asked a question I don't really know. We take a weld test, usually a 2" sch 160 in the 45 degree position. Open butt. I put a 3/16" gap in it and weld it. We tig the root, hot pass, and stick weld out. One will be tigged all the way out. Also one of stainless or inconel. That is our test and we go to work. They also x ray most of our welds. As far as the AWS certs it depends on the client we doing the work for. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Archived