Upgrading to international prostar to pull toy hauler

Grt8West

Upgrading to international prostar after towing successfully with pickup. Just my dream But now I need help from the real experts, real life haulers. With the internet and google, I’m determined to do it but would greatly appreciate advice king pin towing height adjustment trailer wiring converter trailer brake control how to put additional seats in semi sleeper cab for the kids how to make or where to look for motorcycle docking on back of semi

Welcome as I have a Volvo and I pull a gooseneck I will let others give you most of the answers you seek. But I will recommend a jackalopee for your trailer lights, a air ride hitch and I don't remember whether the Directlink brake control works for International but if it does it is a good unit.  There are self loading motorcycle lifts and nice ramps available. If you don't get the answer you seek try asking in a different way. Also be prepared to except the answers you get many of the people on this forum are very knowledgeable. Have fun.

47 minutes ago, Lance A Lott said:

Welcome as I have a Volvo and I pull a gooseneck I will let others give you most of the answers you seek. But I will recommend a jackalopee for your trailer lights, a air ride hitch and I don't remember whether the Directlink brake control works for International but if it does it is a good unit.  There are self loading motorcycle lifts and nice ramps available. If you don't get the answer you seek try asking in a different way. Also be prepared to except the answers you get many of the people on this forum are very knowledgeable. Have fun.

I do appreciate the help.

I presently have an airtrail on the fifth wheel kingpin box that helped take some of the abuse away from the pickup and hoping it is sufficient to protect the trailer from the stout suspension of the semi

thanks again

See my responses in your other topic.  I will add that an air hitch is much more desirable than an air pin box.  There has been a lot of discussion on this topic on the forum.  There are some very smart people here that can give a very detailed response as to why the hitch is better than the pin box, but it mostly boils down to the size and capacity/volume of the air bag used in an air pin box versus the size and capacity/volume of the air bags used in an air hitch.  I personally would not tow without an air hitch.  Also, the factory 5th wheel hitch on an HDT has no side to side articulation like an RV 5th wheel hitch does.  This lack of articulation can transfer some very strong twisting forces to the king pin and gooseneck area of a 5th wheel when turning into uneven surfaces.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

The answers to your questions can be found in the Resource Guide, but it may take a little digging.    An air hitch is best, a Jackalopee for the wiring conversion to the trailer, and there are multiple brake controllers out there.  You didn't mention what brakes are on the trailer, but if they're hydraulic, I highly recommend the BluDot system and forget the controller.

As to loading the motorcycles, put them in the toyhauler and put whatever you now have back there on the truck bed.  Been there, and I'll tell you loading bikes with steep ramps is NOT fun.

Oh, and congratulations on the new to you truck.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I was very tempted to buy one myself. Trucks in the early teens were selling for under 10 grand at the auctions I went to. Problem is the The Max Force is plagued with problems.  I got to talking to a guy I know that owns a diesel shop. He and his brother are both mechanics. Turns out they have successfully deleted and re-tuned a bunch of Max Force engines.  It took a lot of trial and error. One of them has 2 trucks running coast to coast for the past couple years now with no problems. The drivers love them. Cost around 5 grand to delete but it is kind of illegal. They are really picky about whose truck they will delete.

Good luck with it and enjoy. Now the real work starts!

As far as seating in the sleeper I ripped everything out and started over. Front seats for 99-06 Chevy pickup, suburban, and Tahoe all have built in seat belts. I got all these for $50 apiece. Not electric. I had to raise them up 5 inches so sit comfortable. I also had to stagger the one on the passenger side a head a little bit because that corner has the heat and AC box. But If I slide them all ahead on the track they are even. There is an incredible amount of storage space behind them If you slide them all forward. Many people choose to install a dinette but they can get expensive and I was on a tight budget.

tT8dAfLl.jpg

eLX0bbwl.jpg

69IuCB2l.jpg

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

1 hour ago, rickeieio said:

The answers to your questions can be found in the Resource Guide, but it may take a little digging.    An air hitch is best, a Jackalopee for the wiring conversion to the trailer, and there are multiple brake controllers out there.  You didn't mention what brakes are on the trailer, but if they're hydraulic, I highly recommend the BluDot system and forget the controller.

As to loading the motorcycles, put them in the toyhauler and put whatever you now have back there on the truck bed.  Been there, and I'll tell you loading bikes with steep ramps is NOT fun.

Hi Grt 8,

Welcome to the forum. I agree with Rick. Go thru the research guide. It could take some time but it is worth it. You'll be surprised what is in the guide. 

Best of luck. We all love pictures.
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

What you do inside the cab all depends on your wants/needs/budget.

cVLIQOMl.jpg

I found a jack knife sofa at a sort of local RV dealer for a decent price.  You can sit 4 smaller people wide, or 2 and a medium dog works great. I left the original bed base. I didn’t want to give up the storage or rear HVAC.

For the brake control, you will be recommended the Direct link or Hayes air over electric from most here. I went cheap with a Prodigy P3 and it works fine for me.

3 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Trailer brakes are electric. 

Part of my negotiations to pursue my semi truck dream was to get a cherry little fiat for my wife so that now has the garage since my toys take the abuse of the trail (CRF 450X and Polaris sportsman for mountain and desert trails) so some outside time is part of the game. I haven’t got enough class for a big fancy toy yet (HARLEY DAVIDSON)😜

Yeah I need to make seatbelt seating for the three kids so that is a big concern and I have the auxiliary heater in the sleeper to want to keep in service 

And thanks. I’m just a big kid in the expensive candy store now😀😃😂

And I’ll try to figure out how to resize pics tonshare

26 minutes ago, Grt8West said:

And thanks. I’m just a big kid in the expensive candy store now😀😃😂

And I’ll try to figure out how to resize pics tonshare

https://postimages.org/  Use this site for uploading pics.  

And yea,.... welcome to the big boy candy store....  Where it either has, is, or will be done... only the supply of $$$ is a concern.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

The link for pictures works try putting them in the test section until you get the hang of it . Go to the top of this page under Forums and then way at the bottom of the list is a photo test page ( don't hold it against me if my memory has failed again) it's easier to do on a pc where you can use the mouse to highlight the link they give you. As far as I know you have to do one photo at a time, if not please educate me.

There's some info online. That can help out with the MaxForce engine. But those engines has put a lot of 30 to 50 truck Fleets out of Business. But that was before, International started buying them back. Hundreds of those were buybacks from customers. That won the lawsuit again Navastar.

If its a high millage truck, you may have gotten the good one. If its got some age on it. With 300,000 miles, Have it checked out. Emissions was the biggest issue on the older ones.

Good luck and may it give you years of service.

event.png

Archived