My malware protection Malwarebytes is showing a trojan alert!

RV_

What is RVshare.com? I keep getting an alert here on the Escapees forums that there is a trojan from rvshare.com and it has been blocked???? What's going on?

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

• 2 weeks later...

RV Share has an ad over on the upper right side of this page too. It was blocked without my clicking on it as a Trojan attempt. When I saw its hotlink I clicked on it and Malwarebytes blocked the website as a Trojan. I tried again today just now on this page. It is still blocking it as a Trojan containing website. I hope it isn't compromising less hardened computers. Were I the webmaster there I'd be concerned. It's not my problem. And my systems find a non working server when I tried to access it. It's probably just an old or broken SSL on their end.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

• 5 weeks later...

XnkLFR5l.png

Look in the upper right of this screen shot taken today. And no I am through clicking on it even if it is clean now.

aFORKcRl.png

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

• 1 month later...

I use a VPN now that offers a lot more protection than my built in ad blocker and ad blocker + alone, both of which I have as well as Premium Malwarebytes running real time side by side with Windows defender. The VPN does an awesome job as well as making all traffic heavily encrypted.

If you want a VPN free, it is built into the Opera browser:

https://www.opera.com/computer/features/free-vpn?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=pa&utm_campaign=USA - Search - EN - Topics&msclkid=10a0e5d00b3a18f7b19eb982887d2fb0&utm_term=%2BVPN&utm_content=VPN_broad

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

• 1 month later...

Derek, I think I've mentioned it to you before, I"m now running the built-in VPN in windows 10 since I had that bad stuff that tried to enter your computer. What do you think of it? If you know something else is better please direct me.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Ray,

Have you a link to explain this VPN? Using what server?

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

On 3/12/2019 at 3:17 AM, RV_ said:

Ray,

Have you a link to explain this VPN? Using what server?

It must be a Windows server somewhere as the VPN link is built into W10 settings under network and internet. It does not have a selection for what/where VPN, only a sign-up page for the usual name, password, username, etc.

As you know I'm not tech savvy.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

1 hour ago, Ray,IN said:

It must be a Windows server somewhere as the VPN link is built into W10 settings under network and internet. It does not have a selection for what/where VPN, only a sign-up page for the usual name, password, username, etc.

As you know I'm not tech savvy.

If you are running Windows 10 and have all the security updates installed you don't need any virus protection or anything else.  If you don't believe me just go to one of the Microsoft Windows stores and talk to them. They will explain all of this to you.  Windows 10 is the most secure operating system ever; it's not the old legacy system from years past.   I signed up for the Microsoft Assure program and they give you priority service over other clients;  faster service.   Even if you don't have that yearly subscription ( although it's worth every penny, free installation of any hardware or software, including transfer of data),  the staff at the Windows store said that if you get a virus... they will clean your computer at no charge... again.. without the subscription..you might have to wait longer. 

Here's the takeaway point... they are so confident that you will not have a virus with Windows 10... they will fix it for FREE......and you know what......ever since I got Windows 10 installed.... I have NEVER had a virus.....

They must really know what they are talking about....you think??

Finally,  don't let some ad on TV or something else scare you into thinking you need a virus protection program...all they want is your money...and your computer will run less efficiently with their program and maybe get screwed up.... don't do it...the native operating system is perfect just the way it is.... but, keep updating the system from Microsoft Windows...they  are free updates... Good luck. 

• 3 weeks later...

Roadtrek,

That's assuming you have Windows Defender turned on which comes with Windows 10. I back mine up with Malwarebytes premium which was $15.00 for each computer way back. I bought 5 licenses back around 2007. They've kept updating me to new versions and regular updates. So you are right about not really needing anything but Defender.  ow Malwarebytes premium costs annually, no more lifetime licenses.

Windows is more secure than ever because they keep Defender strong. Don't buy the paid for ones sure, but don't turn off Defender.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

On 3/28/2019 at 6:19 PM, RV_ said:

Roadtrek,

That's assuming you have Windows Defender turned on which comes with Windows 10. I back mine up with Malwarebytes premium which was $15.00 for each computer way back. I bought 5 licenses back around 2007. They've kept updating me to new versions and regular updates. So you are right about not really needing anything but Defender.  ow Malwarebytes premium costs annually, no more lifetime licenses.

Windows is more secure than ever because they keep Defender strong. Don't but the paid for ones sure, but don't turn off Defender.

My tech support friends at the Microsoft Windows store says that it's OK to run Malwarebytes, although it's perfectly unnecessary.   Windows 10, as long as you keep your system updated, is the most secure Windows system to date and they ( Microsoft Windows store) will clean and remove any virus you get on your system for free.    Yes, they are that confident that it will probably not happen. 

You know what... since I have upgraded to Windows 10 ..I've never had a virus, I removed all of the previous antivirus software I used to use and don't spend any money on this unnecessary bloatware.....

Please, don't waste your money or time on antivirus software..or be scared into thinking that you need to install this software...it's already built into the operating system. There's nothing better than using the native operating system architecture for keeping your system safe..... unfortunately, a lot people who don't know get sucked in by marketing baloney.

Roadtrek,

Thanks for spreading the word about Windows 10 being more secure because of Windows Defender. I have been advising folks here on SKPs computer forums for 20 years as of last February. Since MS debuted MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) for Windows 7 that nothing need be added to Windows 7 but the old Microsoft Security essentials, and with Windows 10, Windows Defender. No other antimalware program can be run along with Defender but Malwarebytes Anti Malware (MBAM). I bought five lifetime licenses for MBAM from years ago that they upgrade along with the rest that pay for premium annually.

Your optimism is a little over the top because malware is developed along with Windows patches. Here is a top industry online malware information website that tracks malware infecting Windows 10 computers as I type this. Go here and read a bit: https://threatpost.com/category/malware-2/

I agree Windows 10 is the most secure version of Windows to date.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Archived