Visible Phone Data Plan

Dick N

It is in the early stages, Verizon network only(CDMA not GSM), unlocked phone. Only for Apple, not Android. I have been watching it for several months, waiting for Android support. Only selected people, I don't know the criteria.

I also don't now if it would support a phone as a hot spot.

Thinking of getting an Android CDMA phone on Black Friday. We need a new 2nd phone which we normally buy with the Verizon network. See what will be offered.

Here is more info.

This ‘secret’ Verizon cellphone plan is unlimited for $40 a month
WGN 9 Chicago

LOS ANGELES – A new cellphone company called Visible offers service on the Verizon network with an unlimited plan including calls, text and data for just $40 a month – and mysterious storefronts are popping up around the nation. They're painted bright blue, with the words 404, Store Not Found printed on them. Spoiler alert!... Read the full story

Visible is a Verizon subsidiary.  Currently they only support iPhone 6 and up, but their website chat says they will be expanding to Android phones "soon".

The impetus behind this is Verizon is shutting down their CDMA (3G) network to make room for 5G expansion and expects to have CDMA completely gone by the end of 2019.  After that only phones capable of making Voice Over LTE calls (VoLTE or HD Voice) will work on the Verizon network.  The Visible offer is an attempt to get an advance jump on transitioning phones off of CDMA.

Yes you can use the phone as a hotspot after it's converted.

Jetpacks face the same hurdle, only those capable of using 4G will continue to operate after CDMA is eliminated.

Verizon CDMA shutdown information

Visible will attempt to re-program a CDMA phone to make VoLTE calls, but they don't guarantee a successful transition and says it may damage or erase data in the process.  This may be more of a problem with Android than the iPhone due to the many varities of Android phones.

Because of this, I'd be leery about buying a "closeout" CDMA phone.

Verizon LTE phones are available now.  I was looking to replace my pfhone a couple of months ago and I bought a $60 Samsung Galaxy Luna LTE phone from Total Wireless at my local Wal-Mart.  They're a subsidiary of TracFone and carry a wide range of LTE enabled phones from iPhones on down. Though the ads stop just short of actually saying so, Total Wireless uses the Verizon network and the box comfirmed it was a Verizon LTE phone.

I'm quite happy with it so far, but it's not able to transition to Visible until they start offering Android conversions.

Total Wireless 30 day prepaid plans start at $35 for unlimited talk and text and 5 GB data, up to $100 a month for up to 4 phones with 25 GB shared data.  If you sign up for auto-refill using a credit card you get a 5% discount and twice as much data.

Visible is a prepaid subsidiary of Verizon, and launched last spring in beta, and only recently opened up to all iPhone users with out needing an invite code.  It's $40/month and data is always capped to a max speed of 5 mbps. It does allow mobile hotspot use for one connected device. 

We've seen mixed reports on the service (many positive reports), including much higher latency ping times than a direct Verizon plan.

Here's our most recent coverage of the plan:

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/visible-by-verizon-is-officially-available-to-almost-all/

Cherie & Chris (and Kiki *meow*) / Personal Blog: Technomadia.com
Technomads (technology enabled nomads) since 2006

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:
Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Blooper: 2020.5 Winnebago Travato GL Boat: Y-Not: 1999 Bayliner 4788

Hosts of the Mobile Internet Resource Center
Mobile Internet Information for RVers, Cruisers & Nomads
Proud to be recognized as Escapee's Commercial Partners #773 / Escapees RVOU Instructors

Archived