Advices for towing installation on a Mazda CX-9 in Toronto

Vince

Hi there, 

I'm a total newbie and we've planned to buy a light camper trailer (around 1500 lbs).

I have a 2017 MAZDA CX-9 and the class 3 hitch is already installed.

I would like to get some help from somebody knowing the Toronto GTA and well experienced on the towing topic.

I need to find a place to get a 7 way wiring installation and advices about the good and bad things to buy and to do.

Is somebody on that forum willing to help me in that matter ?

Thanks, Vince.

no not sure to need a 7 pin plug. 

I need brakes pin (brakes controller), lights pins, battery recharge pin. The camper could be a STARCRAFT 2106 Series or a Quicksilver 8.0 with brakes (we will hopefully buy it this coming week or the next one ; that's why I need to install the wiring soon) 

What do you think I'll need? 

Thanks!

ok I have so many questions and I'm spending so much time on Internet (without a lot of success I have to tell) that I think that it would be really nice to speak to experienced real people face to face.
Is somebody willing to meet 30min/1h in Toronto to guide me for our next 6 months trip in USA with a camper ?

Thanks, Vince.

On November 10, 2018 at 1:59 PM, DQDanny said:

a 1500# trailer?   You sure you need a 7 pin RV plug?  Would an adapter possibly work  for you.  An adapter would be used to adapt from a 5 pin on your vehicle to 7 pin......if I understood your question.

I'm about to buy a Livin'Lite Quicksilver camper (around 1000lbs).

My understanding of wiring is that I will need for that camper :

Ground / Tail lights / Right turn / Left turn

Meaning I need a flat 4-pin for that, right ?

But what about the battery ? 

There is no fridge nor heater in that camper, so do you thing I’ll need the aux power to charge the battery ?

If not what kind of battery should I take ? (deep cycle ?)

I want to give it a try but maybe I’ll put some brakes on it, just to be on a safe side because it’s going to be a very long trip and I don’t want to wear out my car too quickly.

So what should I do in your opinion :

1) install a 4-pin and add a brakes line later if I need to ?

2) install a 5-pin with Aux Power and add a brakes line later if I need to ?

3) install a 6-pin with Aux Power & brakes line right now, thus I’m ready for any options and I won’t pay extra money by doing it step by step ? 

Thanks!

Just about any RV dealer or trailer hitch shop should be able to do the install.  With the CX-9, watch your weights and towing limits.  I would get an auxiliary transmission cooler added to protect your transmission.from over heating.

I would not put much faith in Can-Am for anything other than the work.  He has people pulling out of there with small vehicles that are way over loaded.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Archived