iPad Mini 4 Gift - Should We Keep, Trade, or Sell it?

Jim Gell

My wife and I were just gifted a new Apple iPad Mini 4 Wi-Fi model.  I went on the Apple website and, as per the specs, it appears to lack a GPS. To get GPS we would need to take it to an Apple Store and pay the difference ($130) to upgrade it for the Wi-Fi and Cellular model.  We have a Grandfathered Verizon Unlimited Data plan and  the AT&T Unlimited Data Plan on a Mobley, so we don't think we need to sign up for a third cellular data plan just for the iPad.   We have no experience using Apple products.  We have two Android smart phones and a tablet that is similarly sized to the iPad. We also have two Windows 10 laptops.  The tablet and laptops seem to either have built in GPS, or get data from the Wi-Fi connection to enable them to pinpoint our location in Google Maps, etc.  I don't feel we need the Apple iPad, but I may not know what we are missing? 

My questions for those more familiar with the iPad Mini 4 are: 

1) As a full time RV'r, given our existing devices that seem to be serving our needs fine, what would we gain by keeping the iPad rather than selling it new in box on eBay? 

2) If we keep it, would it be worth $130 to upgrade it to the Cellular version that has GPS?  Or should we upgrade to a completely different Apple device?

3) How likely will adding a 3rd operating system to our arsenal of devices just confuse us and/or cause compatibility issues? (We are mediocre in our computer tech skills.) 

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Jim

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

If you have never used Apple devices before, I would not add the iPad to your mix unless you had a clear reason for buying into the Apple ecosystem.  App purchases are not transferable between Apple and Android, so you would be paying twice for the same thing.

Unless you're heavily into music production, video production, or graphic arts, I don't see any advantage.

I have an iPhone and iPad. I had a Mac Book too but it got wet and doesn’t work anymore. Now that I don’t have a computer anymore I use the data on my iPad. I have unlimited data on both the phone and tablet. If you don’t have any Apple products you may not find the iPad gifted to you very useful.  

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

We have had iPads,  not the WiFi/Cellular one, and none of the apps I use (like Yelp)  have any problem showing our location and what is close to us and a route if that is what we need.  We run ours through our MiFi or Mobley, and it pin points our location anytime I use the map function.  What is it that you want to do that you think you can't do with it?   I really don't use the iPad for traffic directions, but use the iPhone instead.   

If you don't want it - consider donating to a school near you.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

I don’t know what benefit you will get by adding the iPad to your arsenal if you already are getting everything you need from your existing Android/Windows based hardware (and I say this as I am typing on my iPad).  If you do decide to sell it, I’m sure there are probably people here willing to buy it (including me ;)).  

As for the issue with it not having built in GPS, when it is connected to WiFi it will be able to reconcile locations.  However, when you have no acces to the Internet through WiFi, it will not be able to reconcile locations.  This really only matters if you want to use it for navigation or similar apps.  Obviously you won’t always have WiFi access driving down the road or out hiking, etc so a gps chip is necessary for this type of standalone navigation.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

My background is in technology, and I am quite comfortable with Apple, Windows and Android operating systems.  I have in my coach 3 iPads, 4 Android devices, and 1 Windows.  But I will say that anyone, myself included, should stick with the least amount of operating systems.  Even though I have experience with all these systems they are evolving faster than my ability to keep up.

My wife likes her iPads, and I need Windows for some specific software but I would prefer to just her on Apple and me on Android.  So my suggestion to you if you do not have Apple in your current mix don’t add it now.  My $0.02.

John

2015 Entegra Aspire 44B diesel pusher with 2017 GMC Acadia Denali toad
Web site, albums, blog and more here

Archived