Microsoft’s October Update Failure is Holding the Whole PC Industry Back

RV_

All of my systems are Pro and Enterprise versions of Windows Pro. All my systems are deferring updates because the October update is broken. I remover the deferred status, and the updates start to download and I again defer them which restarts the clock and defers them for another month or so.

It is still broken and the below shows how frantically Microsoft is trying to produce a new update. Check out how the industry is being held hostage until they resolve them.

I have never seen Microsoft get so many updates wrong in a row! Here is a very good article from ZDNET's Mary Jo Foley explaining how bad it really is to use Microsoft today:

Excerpt:

"Microsoft needs to refocus on Windows 10 fundamentals, not just new features

Opinion: Microsoft needs to step off the new feature train, at least temporarily, and get Windows 10's reliability and fundamentals back on track.

Windows as a service, as it currently exists, isn't working. Microsoft's plan to release two feature updates to Windows 10 annually, as Microsoft has been doing since 2015, is not seen as a plus by many customers. After the debacle around the Windows 10 October Update/1809, the perception that Microsoft has lost control of its Windows 10 update strategy is even more apparent.

A quick refresher as to what happened with 1809: Microsoft began rolling it out October 2. Some early adopters saw their photos, files, bookmarks and other data wiped out after installing the new bits. Microsoft pulled 1809 and is now retesting it with Insiders before starting to push it again to customers.

Also: How to upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro for free

I don't see any signs that Microsoft is ready to throw in the towel on its plan to do two feature updates to Windows 10 for the foreseeable future. The company did toss a bone to Enterprise and Education customers recently, basically enabling them to install just one feature update every other year. But Windows 10 Home and Pro customers didn't get that reprieve.

My ZDNet colleague Ed Bott has suggested that Microsoft allow Windows 10 Home users to have a choice whether to apply both Windows 10 feature updates each year or defer and apply just one annually.

I think Microsoft needs to go further: It's time for the company to release at least one -- and maybe more -- Windows 10 feature updates that focus exclusively on reliability/fundamentals and not on features. Go back to basics and figure out what's not working before continuing headlong down the "we have hundreds of new features" path. Figure out how to better test OneDrive and Windows 10 together. Work with OEMs to figure out how they can release updated drivers simultaneously with new feature updates, when required.

I'm sure no one at Microsoft wants to do this. Who wants to admit a key company initiative isn't working? It's easier to keep on saying "a small subset" of customers are having this problem, so things are basically OK, instead of this approach is not sustainable.

But even if it's just "one one hundredth of one percent" of customers hitting a particular issue, the optics around Windows 10 quality and reliability are not good."

There is also a lot more in that article including links to Ed Bott, another excellent tech writer there. The whole article is here:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-needs-to-refocus-on-windows-10-fundamentals-not-just-new-features/

From "How To Geek"

Excerpt:

"Microsoft still hasn’t re-released Windows 10’s October 2018 Update. Now, PC manufacturers are shipping PCs with unsupported software, and Battlefield V is coming out next week with real-time ray-tracing technology that won’t work on NVIDIA’s RTX hardware.

Some New PCs Are Running Unsupported Software

The holiday shopping season is almost upon us. PC manufacturers have been working on new hardware and want to release it in time for Black Friday and the Christmas shopping season.

As Brad Sams points out over at Petri, PC manufacturers were testing their new hardware on a pre-release version of the October 2018 Update, also known as Windows 10 version 1809.

According to Microsoft’s processor requirements, new devices with an Intel 9th generation or Qualcomm Snapdragon 850 processor are only officially supported on the October 2018 Update.

You wouldn’t want to use a PC with an Intel 9th-generation (Coffee Lake) processor without Windows 10’s October 2018 Update, either. As Microsoft’s documentation makes it clear, those CPUs are not officially supported on the April 2018 Update and may not work properly.

Battlefield V Won’t Support Ray-Tracing at Release

Microsoft’s Windows Development Process Is Broken

Windows 10’s October 2018 Update was originally released on October 2, but it was pulled a few days later because it was deleting some people’s files. Even after that bug was released, Microsoft found another bug that could result in data loss while using .zip files.

It’s now a month later and Microsoft hasn’t said anything about when we should expect the update. Both the big show-stopping data loss bugs have been fixed, so perhaps Microsoft found another huge bug we don’t know about.

As Peter Bright eloquently explained at Ars Technica, Microsoft’s Windows 10 development process is clearly broken. Windows developers integrate buggy code early in the development cycle and then scramble to fix it:

Go to the article for screen shots and hot links to related articles here:

https://www.howtogeek.com/fyi/microsoft’s-october-update-failure-is-holding-the-whole-pc-industry-back/

Microsoft is blowing it bigtime, and needs to get back on track before even old MS fans like me decide to start dual booting Linux Mint and the latest Windows-Like desktop on all my systems and see if it runs on my touchscreens. I love Windows when Micrsosoft had it together. I would be dual booting now but I don't think Linux can function on my touchscreen desktops and tablets.

Maybe their stock will drop back into my price to buy in and fix things too this month.

MIcrosucks, Get it together!

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Here is an article telling how to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro for free so you can defer(delay) updates too. Those Windows 7 Pro and even Vista Pro disks and keys are going to be real popular as the article shows. Get one before everyone finds out:

How to upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro for free

https://www.zdnet.com/article/going-pro-how-to-upgrade-windows-10-home-without-hassles/

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Archived