Siphoning a toy hauler gas tank

chief916

My gas/fuel pump has finally quit working.  Tried to get a siphon hose with the little brass ball on the end down into the tank to get the fuel out but no luck.  Hose fits in opening fine but it won't make the bend down into the tank to reach the fuel.  Anybody got any ideas to try?

Thanks

Ben

14 minutes ago, Lou Schneider said:

Don't you put the other end of the hose into the tank and then shake the end with the ball back and forth to start the suction?

I don't think so.  Everytime I've done it or seen it done, the brass ball always went into the tank first 

Who needs a hose with the brass ball. Been siphoning fuel for 60 yrs. Smaller hose will go around corners and easier to get a draw. Gas today don't even taste as bad as old days. Son bought one of those rattles on a hose and I think its worthless. My HTD comes in pretty handy when I run out of heating oil and the oil man may not show up for a day or two.

Click here http://www.superjiggler.com/ to see which end goes in the tank. I have one that works great.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I have a rattle in the hose siphon and it works just fine in my tank. 

2 litre soda bottle works perfect for transferring 6-7hrs worth of gasohol for the Honda 2000 when it is enough for requirements vs running The Big Onan.

gotta go here comes the Safety Police 🚔...

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Find a pipe that will fit make it long enough to go to go well below the bottom of the tank on the outside. Fill it with fuel and clamp or plug the outside end. Put the hose in the tank, take the other end well below the tank and remove the stopper it should siphon. 

There is a bellows siphon and there is a vacuum type that uses compressed air, I am sure the one for deflating tubes would work well. 

Just thinking that there might be an anti syphon grill at the tank end of the fill pipe. That would explain why your jiggler hose dosn't work.  I always thought it was dumb that the fill caps were not behind a locking door because its too easy to syphon (steal) fuel!

2004 Freightliner m2 106  2015 DRV lx450 Fullhouse  2019 Indian Springfield 2014 Yamaha 950 V-Star

14 hours ago, beemergary said:

Who needs a hose with the brass ball. Been siphoning fuel for 60 yrs. Smaller hose will go around corners and easier to get a draw. Gas today don't even taste as bad as old days. Son bought one of those rattles on a hose and I think its worthless. My HTD comes in pretty handy when I run out of heating oil and the oil man may not show up for a day or two.

Thank you for the advice sir.  Now gotta find a hose small and flexible enough to work it down into the tank 

11 hours ago, orca said:

Just thinking that there might be an anti syphon grill at the tank end of the fill pipe. That would explain why your jiggler hose dosn't work.  I always thought it was dumb that the fill caps were not behind a locking door because its too easy to syphon (steal) fuel!

Maybe I should call the manufacturer and see if I could get a good answer on the sypon guard.  Thank you.

12 hours ago, Lance A Lott said:

Find a pipe that will fit make it long enough to go to go well below the bottom of the tank on the outside. Fill it with fuel and clamp or plug the outside end. Put the hose in the tank, take the other end well below the tank and remove the stopper it should siphon. 

There is a bellows siphon and there is a vacuum type that uses compressed air, I am sure the one for deflating tubes would work well. 

On my way to harbor freight tools to see if the got smaller tubing   thanks for your input.

In your OP you say your pump died.  When I bought my TH the pump would not work and would throw the breaker.  I found out that the impeller swells and locks up the pump.  I loosened up the bolts on the plate of the pump and it works.  I had to loosen the bolts loose enough to turn by hand and it didn't leak and it has been working for a couple yrs.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

On 11/11/2018 at 10:36 AM, dennisvr said:

In your OP you say your pump died.  When I bought my TH the pump would not work and would throw the breaker.  I found out that the impeller swells and locks up the pump.  I loosened up the bolts on the plate of the pump and it works.  I had to loosen the bolts loose enough to turn by hand and it didn't leak and it has been working for a couple yrs.

I have 2 long bolts that hold the motor to the pump.  Reckon I'll loosen them up and c what happens .

Its been a long time since I did mine.  I think mine has a plate that has 3 bolts, but I may be mistaken.  If I think about it tomorrow I will check mine and get back to you.  

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

11 hours ago, dennisvr said:

Its been a long time since I did mine.  I think mine has a plate that has 3 bolts, but I may be mistaken.  If I think about it tomorrow I will check mine and get back to you.  

Got a good look at the impeller yesterday.  Those bolts (4ea) are almost touching the bulkhead.  Will have to make a "happi tool" to get into where they're at.  Looks like job for when the weather starts to cooperate.  Rainy and cold here now.

Bring back memories of when I did mine.  I think I reached in with an open end wrench and loosened them.  I loosened them so loose that I thought the gasket would leak, but never has.

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

Archived