What brand?

GR "Scott" Cundiff

We are just thinking about this and would appreciate input from this group.

Understanding the the condition of the specific unit has to be taken into consideration, if you were going to buy a 10-12 year old DP motorhome for fulltime use what brands/models would you focus on?  Or, from the reverse, what ones would you stay away from?

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, GR "Scott" Cundiff said:

Or, from the reverse, what ones would you stay away from?

It is very dangerous to degrade any brand or model because it almost always offends those who own them. For that reason I do not contribute to that subject. 

Going out to 10+ years old my main caution is to make sure you can get it financed if you plan to do so as many lenders will not loan on RVs of more than 10 years. If your budget can manage it, look first at the Newell coaches. Coming down the list I'd also consider a Foretravel. The reputations of Newmar and Tiffin are very difficult to match. Winnebago is also near the top. Bluebird and American Coach are also very nice. If you can handle a big truck look, check out the Renegade line. Travel Supreme is no longer built but was a very good coach. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I'd definitely be looking at Foretravel or maybe a Newmar Mountain Aire DP.     While I love our Alpine, there weren't that many made, so they are really getting scarce.   There were also some really nice Country Coach rigs. When you get that far out, it is all about maintenance of the rigs.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 5:07 PM, BigD629 said:

We chose Foretravel for their quality and the fact they are still in business. Once you start comparing you’ll See why.

I feel I have an eye for quality and construction with a little overkill. Friend has an older u320 and that thing is totally awesome.

3 hours ago, beemergary said:

I feel I have an eye for quality and construction with a little overkill. Friend has an older u320 and that thing is totally awesome.

Thanks, Same here, a friend had an 01 U295 and it was the first one I had ever seen. Once I saw his there was no comparison and had to have one. I see a lot of older Foretravels still on the road today which is testament to their construction.

2005 Foretravel U270

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee 

2016 Polaris RZR Turbo

Just a bit of looking around - for my budget it looks like I could get a 1999-2001 Foretavel for about what a 2004-07 TIffin or Numar would cost.  Similar mileage.  Are you of the opinion that the Foretavel would be the better choice?

7 minutes ago, GR "Scott" Cundiff said:

Just a bit of looking around - for my budget it looks like I could get a 1999-2001 Foretavel for about what a 2004-07 TIffin or Numar would cost.  Similar mileage.  Are you of the opinion that the Foretavel would be the better choice?

Just my opinion, I rank the top tier as Prevost, Newell and Foretravel. Tiffin and Newmar would fall into the next tier. I recommend doing a walk through and compare them head to head then you decide. I personally chose the newest Foretravel I could afford and am extremely happy with my decision.

2005 Foretravel U270

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee 

2016 Polaris RZR Turbo

48 minutes ago, GR "Scott" Cundiff said:

YES

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

10 hours ago, GR "Scott" Cundiff said:

Are you of the opinion that the Foretavel would be the better choice?

That would depend on what model of Tiffin or Newmar. Both of them build several different models of diesel coach and the highest rated ones might make the better choice. Also, never forget that the history of any used RV can make a tremendous difference. To simply state that Foretravel is better than the other two is a very risky approach. There is no RV so well built that it can't be destroyed by neglect or abuse. An RV that is only used for weekends and vacations and is stored inside other times will be far better than even the best RV that has been used fulltime and constantly out in the weather. Brand loyalty can be taken much too far. Get a professional inspection on any possible choice. 

I have known two participants in these forums who no longer RV or post here because they bought older Foretravel coaches and the cost of operating and maintaining them forced them from the road. If you are like us and have limited financial resources, be very careful!

With older units, the maintenance and the way they were used play a very big role.  Find something that you really like, and it makes the "hiccups" easier to deal with.  Also, visit the owners' forums and look for ones that are active as they are an excellent resource for information when it comes to buying and maintaining, especially when it comes to "orphan" units.  Also, often even in the best of coaches, there is a year or two where they had issues, and the forums are the best place to learn about this.  

Cathy

31 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

I have known two participants in these forums who no longer RV or post here because they bought older Foretravel coaches and the cost of operating and maintaining them forced them from the road. If you are like us and have limited financial resources, be very careful!

This would be true for any manufacturer. Sounds like they where not prepared for the Fulltime lifestyle. The cost to maintain and operate is no different between manufacturers. What sets Foretravel apart is they were not mass produced, they used top of the line materials at the time. And there structure or “Bones” are among the most highly rated.There is a reason that so many older Foretravels are still on the road today. Yes, you need to have the resources to maintain and operate any DP. Also need to be prepared for any catastrophic failure which can happen with any brand. But I will take my chances with the history and reputation of Foretravel any day. 

2005 Foretravel U270

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee 

2016 Polaris RZR Turbo

3 hours ago, BigD629 said:

This would be true for any manufacturer.

That is quite possible. My point is that it is wrong to just tell new RVer's to buy a specific brand because there is perfect RV of any brand and with a used coach, the older it is the more critical condition becomes, no matter what company manufactured it. 

On 11/8/2018 at 2:51 PM, GR "Scott" Cundiff said:

Understanding the the condition of the specific unit has to be taken into consideration

16 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

That is quite possible. My point is that it is wrong to just tell new RVer's to buy a specific brand because there is perfect RV of any brand and with a used coach, the older it is the more critical condition becomes, no matter what company manufactured it. 

You will note that in the original post I said that the condition of the specific coach had to be taken into consideration.   Obviously a wrecked Prevost sitting in a junk yard wouldn't be preferred over a lower end coach in excellent condition (at that point it would be reasonable to simply keep shopping).

4 hours ago, Kirk W said:

Get a professional inspection on any possible choice. 

I want to emphasize this statement.

A good independent inspection should uncover all of the big things and most of the little ones.  It can also give you a powerful negotiating tool when you talk price.  Surprises are always possible, but a professional inspection should eliminate most of them.

1 hour ago, GR "Scott" Cundiff said:

You will note that in the original post I said that the condition of the specific coach had to be taken into consideration.   Obviously a wrecked Prevost sitting in a junk yard wouldn't be preferred over a lower end coach in excellent condition (at that point it would be reasonable to simply keep shopping).

Agreed; when we  were shopping for a MH, we looked at an immaculate, used Fleetwood Discovery. The price was quite low for the year. Talking further with the owner, it came out this MH had a salvage title. We politely said goodby and continued our shopping elsewhere.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

3 hours ago, Kirk W said:

Kirk, I’m just answering the OP specific questions regarding what manufacturers would I focus on in a 10-12 year old DP. The OP was taking condition into consideration. I’m not saying Foretravel is perfect. Any Brand that is neglected is going to have issues. I’ll Admit that I’m biased as I own a Foretravel. Most owners are biased towards what they own and have experience with. I can only recommend what I’ve Experienced through ownership, research and public opinion (ratings). There is a reason Foretravels are more expensive and hold their value over other brands. It’s because they are built better! I don’t feel it’s wrong to recommend the top manufacturers to new RVer’s when that is what they asked for? I for one was glad when my friend educated me on Foretravels as I had never heard of them before. We have been living Fulltime in ours for a couple years now with very few issues. Also there is nothing wrong with Tiffin or Newmar they are very well respected, but in my opinion not in the same class as Prevost, Newell and Foretravel. 

2005 Foretravel U270

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee 

2016 Polaris RZR Turbo

… a little off subject but we smile every time we think of years ago when we were looking at motorhomes at Foretravel Northwest in Coeur d'Alene, ID.  We toured and asked why they don't have slideouts.  The salesperson smugly stated "Foretravel will NEVER have slideouts.That's not a gimmick that Foretravel owners want.   Perhaps you should be looking at Georgie Boys".

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

People tend to run into trouble when they don't realize how much something will cost to fix or replace, so it would be good to understand that before making a purchase.  As others have said, definitely have it inspected, but that still won't predict when something older will fail.  Also, I want to mention that I regularly price RVs of different types, and after every hurricane, I notice a big surge in units on the market with a closer look very often revealing black mold stains in the lower storage areas.  Just be aware of that.   The market is flooded with older motor homes, I would shop with that in mind as it can't be that easy to sell one, and the price should reflect it being a buyer's market.

Cathy

12 hours ago, BigD629 said:

This would be true for any manufacturer. Sounds like they where not prepared for the Fulltime lifestyle. The cost to maintain and operate is no different between manufacturers. What sets Foretravel apart is they were not mass produced, they used top of the line materials at the time. And there structure or “Bones” are among the most highly rated.There is a reason that so many older Foretravels are still on the road today. Yes, you need to have the resources to maintain and operate any DP. Also need to be prepared for any catastrophic failure which can happen with any brand. But I will take my chances with the history and reputation of Foretravel any day. 

13 hours ago, Kirk W said:

That would depend on what model of Tiffin or Newmar. Both of them build several different models of diesel coach and the highest rated ones might make the better choice. Also, never forget that the history of any used RV can make a tremendous difference. To simply state that Foretravel is better than the other two is a very risky approach. There is no RV so well built that it can't be destroyed by neglect or abuse. An RV that is only used for weekends and vacations and is stored inside other times will be far better than even the best RV that has been used fulltime and constantly out in the weather. Brand loyalty can be taken much too far. Get a professional inspection on any possible choice. 

Some people can be there worst enemy. If you don't have deep pockets and don't want to get your hands dirty and learn how things work and be a sucker for a slick service man you may be in trouble. In this new day and age see it all the time.

9 hours ago, beemergary said:

Some people can be there worst enemy. If you don't have deep pockets and don't want to get your hands dirty and learn how things work and be a sucker for a slick service man you may be in trouble. In this new day and age see it all the time.

Totally agree! Which is another reason I chose a Foretravel. The Foreforum has a wealth of information and has saved me a lot of time and money. It was also an invaluable resource in research before my purchase. Highly recommend whatever brand someone is considering that they have a strong owners group for support.

2005 Foretravel U270

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee 

2016 Polaris RZR Turbo

We chose to stay away from entry level models and the pre recession and advanced emission control years, while at the same time, staying within our budget.

Must haves were....

1 1/2 baths

Opposing living area slides

Side radiator

Cat engine not later than 06 was preferable

Dan

"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to 
appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_1 1/2 Baths_Spartan MM Chassis_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000
Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (SOLD)

Archived