Odd Battery Condition

Consolenut

Hello

First of all I have 4 Interstate EC2- UTL golf cart battieres in series and paraellel to create one big battery. Very common thing to do. This setup was great in my Newmar no issues.  Well fast forward put the same battery combination in my Teton.  The Teton came with two IOTA DLS 45 charger converters. Well there boiling over the batteries. All the tops are wet. Those IOTA are suppose to like all combinations.  So I figured for giggles I'd try a pair of 31MHD interstates. Those are the extreme cycling interstate deep cycle and starting. No issue boiling over. Had a couple 27 series interstates no boil over. I've been working out the variable battery types etc for 3 weeks now. 

Those IOTA DLS 45 chargers just do not like 6 volt batteries. Anyone ever have this issue?  Any ideas as to why it's happening

Maybe you would be happier with the DLS-45/IQ4 model that has four stage charging.  The one you have will only charge at either 13.6 or 14.2 volts DC, and does not have the smart charging system.  Maybe that is why you are boiling those batteries.  You may be able to add the IQ4 charge control module to your existing chargers.  https://www.iotaengineering.com/IQ/#!/

The IOTA DLS 45 converter has a Dual Voltage jack that looks like a modular telephone jack.  The optional IQ4 Smart Charger module plugs in there.

If you don't have the Smart Charger, there's a jumper plug that goes there and raises the output to 14.2 volts for "quick charging".  Without the plug the converter puts out the normal 13.6 volt float voltage.

Make sure the jumper plug isn't inserted when you're connected to power for extended periods of time or the continuous 14.2 volts will cause accelerated water loss once the batteries are fully charged.

Since you have two converters, both should be set the same, so insert or remove the plugs from both of them. 

https://www.iotaengineering.com/dvjack.htm

I don't know if a pair of Smart Charger modules will work together or if they will fight each other.  Or if one Smart Charger could be connected to control both converters.  If you want to go that route, ask IOTA first.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived