Verizon Unlimited Data Plan for Jetpacks

3 hours ago, NDBirdman said:

I also looked at my monthly bill, it would cost 20/mo to bring my wife's to above unlimited like I have.  It gives me from what I see about the same as using the mifi.  Their site wants $45/mo to use mifi-prepaid where it would only run 20/mo extra for my wife's upgrade. 

Are you aware of the fact that MiFi's added to Verizon postpaid unlimited accounts are only permitted to have 15GB or 22GB of 4G/LTE data before the speed is reduced to <600kbps?  The prepaid plan being discussed in this thread is completely unlimited and not subject to any throttling.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A couple of days ago, I discovered that my grey market $5/mo unlimited 3G flashed Jetpack had finally been shut down by Verizon. It was nice for the several years it lasted, but not a big surprise when it ended. So anyway, after doing a factory reset of my 6620L, I trundled on over to the Verizon retail store in St Marys, GA and had it activated on the unlimited $70/$65 prepaid plan. The whole process took no more than perhaps 15 minutes and will make a good alternative to our AT&T Connected Car Plan where the VZW signals are stronger. A speed test at the store using my connected smartphone came back with ~12Mbps down, which is ok and would support streaming, but I was pleasantly surprised when I returned to the state park and tested at ~40Mbps down. I love the speed, but I really did prefer the $5/mo payments... :D

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

On 1/24/2019 at 7:47 AM, Al F said:

In an earlier reply I stated we had the "no internet" problem on our payment date.  Now the problem is occurring more frequently.  Last Sunday we were Skyping on a group call with two computers active and about every15 minutes we got the "no internet".  POR our 6620 and it worked for another 15 minutes.

Finally yesterday, Wednesday, the Jetpack went into the no internet and I had the time to start a chat session (I had to use my Ph Hotspot) and the Tech said he made some changes which should fix the problem.  I was on the chat session for about 1.5 hours.  He also had me do a factory reset of the jetpack. 

I'll update if I get more failures.

Failed again yesterday, Friday 1/25. Powered off and on it worked OK.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

The 5510L is a fairly old model missing many of the current LTE bands, but will probably work in most areas.  It won't work in Canada, but I suspect the prepaid plan doesn't work in Canada either.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

2 hours ago, Al F said:

I have been having a LOT of failures on my 8800.  I think the Verizon cell signal quality where I am is just not strong enough to support my demands.  I have been using it to stream Dish On Demand shows while simultaneously surfing.  Something just gets choked.  The other night I was downloading an 8gb software update to my computer.  It failed at 0.9 gb each time I attempted the download.  At that time, all I was doing was the download.  I'll give it a shot again in a few days when I get home.  If nothing else, I'll just use the cable connection at home.

3 hours ago, Al F said:

FWIW since I did a factory reset of my 7730L I haven't experienced any additional issues.  Of course, this post will probably jinx that! 😀

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

I just got a phone call from my corporate Verizon store, the same store that told me there were no 8800l jetpacks coming.....that my 8800l jetpack had arrived at the store. Within minutes, the UPS guy brought the refurbished 7730. When the guy called, I told him the "1-800" people told me yesterday that the 8800L would no longer be available.

Talk about confusion. I also found out I cannot get the travel pass on any pre-paid account. Looks like am going to use my ATT iphone as a hotspot in the Bahamas in March.

What to do, what to do......I am actually willing to go buy the 8800L and keep this 7730 on the shelf if that thing does not work. I told the guy that there were reports of the 8800L "dropping out". He looked up something on his computer that mentioned "if you change the password, issues like this can happen" (sorry but I paraphrase). So, sez me, it is best to keep the default password? Yes, sez him.

Advice? Thanks in advance.

1977 GMC Eleganza II

ARS WBOJOT

3 hours ago, LarryN said:

I told the guy that there were reports of the 8800L "dropping out". He looked up something on his computer that mentioned "if you change the password, issues like this can happen" (sorry but I paraphrase). So, sez me, it is best to keep the default password? Yes, sez him.

Advice? Thanks in advance.

I have not changed the password and my 8800 STILL has drop outs.  

Yesterday I went through Verizon chat and have an 8800L being shipped to me, even though it was marked out of stock for prepaid, and am signed up for the prepaid plan.  Startup, taxes and the first month, which is at the full $70 since the person could not set up my autopay, was just over $292.  Once I get the prepaid plan going I will adjust my postpaid plan.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

19 hours ago, remoandiris said:

I have not changed the password and my 8800 STILL has drop outs.  

I changed the password in ours and haven't noticed any issues.

1 hour ago, Bill Joyce said:

Yesterday I went through Verizon chat and have an 8800L being shipped to me, even though it was marked out of stock for prepaid, and am signed up for the prepaid plan.  Startup, taxes and the first month, which is at the full $70 since the person could not set up my autopay, was just over $292.  Once I get the prepaid plan going I will adjust my postpaid plan.

Hmmm... walked into a Verizon store week before last and bought one off the shelf. The salesperson replaced our old JetPack (which was having power issues) with the 8800 on our prepaid plan in about three minutes - same $50/month with discounts.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

On 1/15/2019 at 6:19 AM, edatlanta said:

I have my second auto renewal coming up at the end of the month so we shall see.  I didn't notice any interruption on my first one last month.  I was a little concerned of interruption on the first one, but was surprised.  Maybe it will be third time is the charm?

My postpaid 8800L was auto renewed last night.  If there was any interruption in service I didn't know it.  It was working normally when I went to bed and was working normally this morning.  I did check the online site and it has auto renewed.  All is good ..... for now.

Ed

KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, RV Flex Armor Roof

On 1/28/2019 at 8:36 AM, edatlanta said:

My postpaid 8800L was auto renewed last night.  If there was any interruption in service I didn't know it.  It was working normally when I went to bed and was working normally this morning.  I did check the online site and it has auto renewed.  All is good ..... for now.

I just checked my credit card that this service is billed on and they processed the monthly payment at 11:10pm on the last day.

Ed

KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, RV Flex Armor Roof

I'm thinking about upgrading to an 8800, but the issues I'm seeing reported here and other forums are giving me pause to pull the trigger just yet. My 6620L has been online 24/7 since it was activated at a VZW store last Friday with no drop outs of any sort even while moving from Georgia to Florida.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

• 3 weeks later...

Well it is my auto renew day and my 8800 is dropping me about every 2 hours.  Its' screen says it is connected to the internet, but my computer and phone says connected with no internet.  Have had the 8800 for 2 months now.  This is the first time it has done this.  Will a factory reset fix this?  If so do I have to reinstate the account?  THIA for any advise.

2006 Heartland Bighorn 3055RL w/ Mor/Ryde IS Suspension and Hydraulic Brakes

2011 GMC Sierra 3500HD w/B&W turnover hitch and Companion

2 hours ago, nscaler2 said:

Well it is my auto renew day and my 8800 is dropping me about every 2 hours.  Its' screen says it is connected to the internet, but my computer and phone says connected with no internet.  Have had the 8800 for 2 months now.  This is the first time it has done this.  Will a factory reset fix this?  If so do I have to reinstate the account?  THIA for any advise.

Let me know how this goes. I know what hell I went through to get mine fixed when it did the same thing. Are you a heavy downloader? They tried to tell me I had exceeded the "fair usage amount", which wasn't possible. They eventually got mine fixed but it took me almost 2 weeks, a replacement jetpack and finally 1 kid with some above average intelligence. 

Edited by Big5er

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

6 hours ago, Big5er said:

Let me know how this goes. I know what hell I went through to get mine fixed when it did the same thing. Are you a heavy downloader? They tried to tell me I had exceeded the "fair usage amount", which wasn't possible. They eventually got mine fixed but it took me almost 2 weeks, a replacement jetpack and finally 1 kid with some above average intelligence. 

Since I posted last I have had to reboot the MIFI 2 times.  I guess you could say we are heavy users, we went thru 103 gb this month.  Two Phones a computer and a tablet and some netflix  went thru this thing this month.  Actually that is less than last month and we didn't have this kind of trouble last month.  I see that my payment went thru just a few minutes ago.  Will see if this calms down for a while.  Interesting thing, after I reboot the MIFI it see a signal strength of -65db with a signal to noise ratio of 16 db.  That is quite good.  But after a while it falls off to -93 db and a SNR of 5 or 6.  Don't know what is going on there.  It acts like it is loosing a couple of its' 4 antennae inside, or its radio fluctuates.  Don't know, just brain storming. 

Edited by nscaler2

My 8800 hasn't worked right since I bought it in December.  I "think" there is some type of software conflict between my old and new account.  It chokes at unpredictable times, usually while streaming a TV show via Dish On Demand.

When I bought the 8800, someone at Verizon changed the device's phone number to my OLD device's number.  I think THAT act is the root of the problem, despite Verizon saying it isn't.  

My 8800, on the prepaid unlimited account, shows a renewal date on the 10th of each month (date old acct renewed) and a data limit of 10240 gb.  My acct is NOT an auto renewal, and ends on the 22d of each month, as well as being unlimited!!

Next week I'm taking it to my local Verizon store and requesting a replacement device.  The new sim card they gave me last week did nothing to solve the problem.  The person at the store told me I'll have to leave the device since it is prepaid until the replacement device comes in.  Good thing I don't need it for 2 weeks.

And they will want to replace it with a refurb. I wasn't happy about that at all. I moaned and whined so they refunded half the price of my new one and I took the refurb. Which didn't fix the issue anyway. They will not tell you what that "fair usage" amount is but it appears that if you exceed it Verizon is the one flipping the switch on and off. It is not a hardware issue. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

This last week (Thursday) I figured out how to consistently recreate the "no internet" problem with my 6620 JetPac.  My JetPac is also showing the "10240 data usage" figure which never changes.  No indication on the JetPac if the 10240 figure is bytes, Mbytes or Gbytes.  

I figured out that the problem occurs when I reach 860MB of data. Note this is bytes not bits of data, as some download speed tests or data monitoring apps display "bits" as in small "b" instead of Bytes with a large "B". 

I use www.testmy.net for download test as it allows me to specify a download size of 200MB.  Consistently on the 5th download, I get the "no internet".  Sometimes the JetPac just stops sending data to the computer and then takes several minutes before the "no internet" to show up. 

I determined the 860MB of data from the "Networx" app on my computer used to monitor the data in and out of the computer.  Networx used to be free, but now is a fee only app.  Great little app for monitoring data.  

This week I will start a chat session with Verizon to try to get this fixed. 

Edited by Al F

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

On 2/16/2019 at 1:49 PM, Big5er said:

Well one day after renewal of the plan, everything is peachy again.  No drops no troubles.  This indicates that it is a problem with Verizon, not a hardware problem.  Verizon is messing with us on the day of our renewal.  For what reason, I don't know.

Edited by nscaler2

On 2/17/2019 at 5:20 AM, Al F said:

I figured out that the problem occurs when I reach 860MB of data.

Do mean 860MB from the start of a new monthly contract?  Or, 860MB in any one "session"?  We're definitely not having any such limit.

Edited by docj

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

We've been tracking these ongoing issues with the prepaid plans - and they seem related to the recent enforcement of the 720p video throttling. Some older accounts (ie. started before the end of last year) are most prone to these drop-outs. 

The recommended fix at present time seems to be having Verizon activate you a new line of service. 

Here's our article tracking the issue, with some other possible solutions:

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/reported-issues-verizon-prepaid-unlimited-jetpack-plans-acting-wonky/

Cherie & Chris (and Kiki *meow*) / Personal Blog: Technomadia.com
Technomads (technology enabled nomads) since 2006

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:
Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Blooper: 2020.5 Winnebago Travato GL Boat: Y-Not: 1999 Bayliner 4788

Hosts of the Mobile Internet Resource Center
Mobile Internet Information for RVers, Cruisers & Nomads
Proud to be recognized as Escapee's Commercial Partners #773 / Escapees RVOU Instructors

6 hours ago, Technomadia said:

The recommended fix at present time seems to be having Verizon activate you a new line of service. 

Here's our article tracking the issue, with some other possible solutions:

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/reported-issues-verizon-prepaid-unlimited-jetpack-plans-acting-wonky/

VERY helpful post and article.  Printing it out and taking it with me when I go to the Verizon store.

6 hours ago, Technomadia said:

We've been tracking these ongoing issues with the prepaid plans - and they seem related to the recent enforcement of the 720p video throttling. Some older accounts (ie. started before the end of last year) are most prone to these drop-outs. 

My unlimited account was initiated on 11/8 only a couple of days after the plan was announced.  I don't seem to have as many problems as some folks here,  but I do consistently have some issues on the day before or the day of my renewal.  So far I haven't done anything but reboot my 7730L when this happens.

Joel (AKA docj)

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador