Verizon Unlimited Data Plan for Jetpacks

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Intetesting...right now I'm running an old unlimited grandfathered sim in a jetpack because tethering to the phone is hard on the phone.  I'd  save money by giving up the grandfathered plan.

Edited by GR "Scott" Cundiff

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

Scott I checked into it. I would have to open a new account t as a prepaid and transfer my mofo over to it. It would then cost me $65 plus whatever for the account. Not worth it. I will stay with postpaid.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

5 minutes ago, Ronbo said:

Scott I checked into it. I would have to open a new account t as a prepaid and transfer my mofo over to it. It would then cost me $65 plus whatever for the account. Not worth it. I will stay with postpaid.

Not sure I follow.  Get the prepaid account for the Jetpack, pay $65 a month..  Then go to a two line, 3Gig plan for $60.  That's $125 a month.  

Edited by GR "Scott" Cundiff

I might end of doing this when my Jetpack comes off contract.  Yes, when I changed to the 7730L Jetpack to use it in Canada, I signed up for two years. (The 5510L Jetpack I replaced did not work in Canada since it did not support GSM networks).  When we go back to Canada we will hotspot our postpaid Verizon phones.  

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

We went from Verizon post paid the prepaid for the combo plans. I have unlimited and she has 2 GB of data. $92 for both, and 102 after taxes and fees. So I get to play radio and Prime music in my car. And watch movies when I'm in a waiting room or whatever. But I'm still not using more than 5GB. Because we have cable at home unlimited. So I am not out long enough to need it. They discounted my unlimited $20 a month as the second line when we switched from post to prepaid.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

This past summer I went from Hughes Net, after 17 years with them, to ATT Internet. I got a wifi  box for $80 and 50 G for $80 per month. ATT says that it is unlimited but after the 50 G they slow in down unless you pay more. It is fast and we like it much better then Hughes NET.

We have a (discontinued) 24GB post-paid plan with two phones and the JetPack 6620L that runs $184/month with my military discount. I have a question for those more knowledgeable than I am in these things: If we were to move the JetPack from our post-paid plan to an unlimited pre-paid plan and reduce the data on the post-paid plan for the two phones, what are the chances that Verizon would change the pre-paid plan for the JetPack on me down the road (since I can't go back to our current plan once it's changed)? Is this a gamble?

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

At this time I'm going to stay with my old grandfathered unlimited plan.  I see three concerns:

1. The new plan can be changed at any time - there is no contract - and Verizon has a history of floating new stuff and then  quickly adjusting based on customer response.  If I give up my old plan I can never get it back.

2. There is some differences in roaming coverage between a contract plan and a prepaid one.  Not much, mind you, but traveling as we do there are many times when we end up off the beaten track - exactly the kind of places where roaming kicks in.

3. My old plan isn't subject to being relegated to a lower priority on busy cell towers, the prepaid plans are.  It may never be an issue, but we've been in some places where our data slowed down on busy weekends - likely a result of several users loading down the local tower.

So, while I'm going to keep an eye on developments, I don't think I will be an early adapter here.

I also decided I was better off with my grandfathered unlimited plan. They didn’t give you any problems putting your sim in a mifi? Did you get another line and forward your number or what?

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

OK... after about two hours on the phone with Verizon last evening (and discussions with my wife in between phone conversations, etc.), here's what we did:

Not being on a "grandfathered" unlimited plan (we were on a New Verizon 24GB plan), my wife REALLY wanted me to move the MiFi (6620L) over to the prepaid unlimited plan. It took two calls to get it done, but the second prepaid support person I got hold of had just been trained on the new plans and it took him less than 5 minutes to do it - $65/month unlimited/unthrottled for the MiFi. During the conversation with him, I was talking about lowering the data on our post-paid plan for the phones. The tech asked why we didn't just move the phones to a prepaid plan quoted a number that was significantly lower than it was going to be on the post-paid plan and with three times the data for each phone. It seemed like a no-brainer. We now have everything on a prepaid plan for about $90 less than or total post-paid plan was and with unlimited data on the MiFi.

During the process I expressed to my wife the concerns I share with some of you above - namely, what if Verizon decides to change the prepaid plan since there is no contract? She instructed me to say this on the forum: "I would not have agreed to sell the house and hit the road full-time if I had dwelled on what-ifs and worried about what might have happened. Just switch the plan and let me enjoy the unlimited data!" Now you know who's really in charge in our family...

Rob

PS - the knowledgeable person who finally got this done quickly and flawlessly gave me his business cell number: If anyone is interested, PM me.

Edited by Second Chance
Correct the amount we're saving.

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

Rob, I wouldn't be so concerned about them changing or doing away with the plan.  My only hesitation would be that you are now lower in the pecking order when it comes to priority on a tower.  However, you probably won't realize any significant difference unless you get on a highly congestion cell. 

Sounds like you made a good move.  I hope it works out for you and you never get deprioritized.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

If Verizon's deprioritization works like AT&T's, you may not know whether your being deprioritized or whether it's just the normal slow downs we all see on heavy congested towers at times.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Thanks for sharing our post about this new offering from Verizon.

Indeed quite exciting to finally see an unlimited hotspot data plan with no data caps. We've been running ours since Tuesday without problems, and it's comparing favorably to our grandfathered postpaid Verizon unlimited plan in terms of speed and reliability (at our current location). 

However, we don't recommend ditching a sweet grandfathered in plan for this one.  Especially the gUDP from Verizon - the postpaid perks, no throttling and no network management still make those plans appealing. And if you've set your gUDP up for optimal hotspot pricing, you're likely paying $45 or $65 a  month for it anyway - cheaper or same price as this new prepaid plan.  We're keeping our gUDP for as long as Verizon allows it. 

Oh, and if you missed the news - Verizon has a brand new 8800L hotspot out. So if you're purchasing a new Jetpack for this plan, it might be worth the extra step to get it (not officially sold for prepaid, but many are able to get them anyway.) It has some impressive specs. We just got ours in for testing & review. 

- Cherie

Cherie & Chris (and Kiki *meow*) / Personal Blog: Technomadia.com
Technomads (technology enabled nomads) since 2006

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:
Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Blooper: 2020.5 Winnebago Travato GL Boat: Y-Not: 1999 Bayliner 4788

Hosts of the Mobile Internet Resource Center
Mobile Internet Information for RVers, Cruisers & Nomads
Proud to be recognized as Escapee's Commercial Partners #773 / Escapees RVOU Instructors

52 minutes ago, Technomadia said:

Thanks for sharing our post about this new offering from Verizon.

Indeed quite exciting to finally see an unlimited hotspot data plan with no data caps. We've been running ours since Tuesday without problems, and it's comparing favorably to our grandfathered postpaid Verizon unlimited plan in terms of speed and reliability (at our current location). 

However, we don't recommend ditching a sweet grandfathered in plan for this one.  Especially the gUDP from Verizon - the postpaid perks, no throttling and no network management still make those plans appealing. And if you've set your gUDP up for optimal hotspot pricing, you're likely paying $45 or $65 a  month for it anyway - cheaper or same price as this new prepaid plan.  We're keeping our gUDP for as long as Verizon allows it. 

Oh, and if you missed the news - Verizon has a brand new 8800L hotspot out. So if you're purchasing a new Jetpack for this plan, it might be worth the extra step to get it (not officially sold for prepaid, but many are able to get them anyway.) It has some impressive specs. We just got ours in for testing & review. 

- Cherie

Cherie I'm relying on information from your website that putting my grandfathered unlimited plan sim in a Jetpack isn't going to get me into trouble with Verizon.  Do you still think that is acceptable with Verizon?  Thanks.

Cherie I'm relying on information from your website that putting my grandfathered unlimited plan sim in a Jetpack isn't going to get me into trouble with Verizon.  Do you still think that is acceptable with Verizon?  Thanks.

At present time, they continue to allow it. 

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:
Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Blooper: 2020.5 Winnebago Travato GL Boat: Y-Not: 1999 Bayliner 4788

Proud to be recognized as Escapee's Commercial Partners #773 / Escapees RVOU Instructors

On 11/7/2018 at 9:53 PM, Ronbo said:

I also decided I was better off with my grandfathered unlimited plan. They didn’t give you any problems putting your sim in a mifi? Did you get another line and forward your number or what?

3 hours ago, Technomadia said:

At present time, they continue to allow it. 

Thanks Cherie!  Good to know.

Ron, I think I'm okay with Verizon at this time.  I'm running the phone without a sim, making and receiving calls via WiFi.  I just put the Jetpack in my pocket.  It is just for the time being, to be sure the Jetpack setup works okay.  I may get a cheapo cell plan for the phone.

On 11/7/2018 at 12:57 AM, Bill Joyce said:

When we go back to Canada we will hotspot our postpaid Verizon phones.  

I'm planning on doing this also. But I am concerned that Verizon says that if use their phones for more than 60 days they may cut you off. Do you know what would happen if we spent an entire summer in Canada? 

Edited by docj

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

On 11/8/2018 at 1:48 PM, Technomadia said:

I signed up for one of these today.  It took >1 hour on chat and eventually on the phone to transfer my 7730l from my postpaid account to a new prepaid account.  It can be done, but I ended up working with a total of 5 people before getting it done properly.

Be prepared to have to argue about the plan's specs; the person who eventually got me up and running told me at the outset that there was no such plan.  That's even with citing the plan #28366.  Be persistent but patient.  The CSR who challenged me eventually thanked me for teaching him something he didn't know.

My speeds using Fast.com are in 4-8Mbps range.  The CSR did warn me that there was always the risk of network deprioritization, but I told him that was a risk I was prepared to take.

Edited by docj

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Howdy!

Cherie, we have a FMCA unlimited Verizon Account now which after 25gbs is unusable. I was planning on dumping the account after contract runs out anyway. Now I am considering buying out the contract and get the new unlimited plan if it is truly unlimited. We use a lot of data each month in excess of 170gbs as we stream everything now after giving up satellite. We have AT&T unlimited plus that works we but we are in Livingston, Tx at our homebase and Verizon works much better here. I would like to know how the new plan is working after you’ve ran up some considerable amount of data. Also we have a 7730L hotspot but do you recommend the new 8800L over it?

Thanks.

” Happy Trails “

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

5 hours ago, chiefneon said:

Also we have a 7730L hotspot but do you recommend the new 8800L over it?

Here's our overview of the 8800L - http://www.rvmobileinternet.com/8800l

Once we have some more hands on time with it, our members will be getting some head-to-head real world comparisons to past Jetpack models. 

Edited by Technomadia

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:

Howdy!

I contacted Verizon today and switched our postpaid MiFI hotspot to the new Unlimited predaid Account. I thought it went smoothly until I tried to use the Jetpacks and it was still slow as we have used up our allotted unlimited data for the month on our postpaid plan. Another call back and they straightened it out and sending out a new sims card on Tuesday. So just a word to the wise it might be easier to go into a Verizon store to get it done even if you have to educate them about it.

” Happy Trails “

Chiefneon

Edited by chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime