Fulltimer moving into new rig?

HerasHome

Not sure what kind of rig you have, but I know some of the diesel pusher owners have put a contingency on the sale of their current rig that says something like the rig is for sale but not available until new rig is ready.  They then make arrangements with the potential buyer for a specified pick up date.  This usually works best when you are ordering a new rig and have an idea of a future delivery date.  I don’t see why the same idea couldn’t work for other types of RV’s as well.  Then if you don’t get any takers on the private sale, you still have the option to just trade it in when the new one arrives (of course usually at a lower price than a private sale).

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

The easiest way to move between rigs that are about the same height is to park them nose to tail and run scaffolding boards between them so you don't have the down then up during the move.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

11 hours ago, chirakawa said:

The most practical way would be to trade it in and make the switch at the dealer.

8 hours ago, lenp said:

We have upgraded three times when full timing and each move was at the dealer lot.

Lenp

I looked into that yesterday, talking with a dealer. The ballpark trade in figure kind of hurt, especially as I want to trade down (smaller, less expensive rig). But it is an option. Thanks for the input :)

8 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

Not sure what kind of rig you have, but I know some of the diesel pusher owners have put a contingency on the sale of their current rig that says something like the rig is for sale but not available until new rig is ready.  They then make arrangements with the potential buyer for a specified pick up date.  This usually works best when you are ordering a new rig and have an idea of a future delivery date.  I don’t see why the same idea couldn’t work for other types of RV’s as well.  Then if you don’t get any takers on the private sale, you still have the option to just trade it in when the new one arrives (of course usually at a lower price than a private sale).

Thanks, might have to do that. Glad to hear it's a "thing", the contingency. I always forget, too, that most RV owners use them as campers and not living in it full-time! 

6 hours ago, sandsys said:

The easiest way to move between rigs that are about the same height is to park them nose to tail and run scaffolding boards between them so you don't have the down then up during the move.

Linda Sand

That is an extremely practical tip, thank you! I'm in a trailer looking at another trailer so the steps are minimal. Will keep it in mind, though!

13 hours ago, HerasHome said:

The ballpark trade in figure kind of hurt

Your listing here is a little high so it probably will not sell quickly. With the Airstream more than 10 years old, financing will not be readily available and that too will make the sale more difficult. Keep in mind that a dealer also must pay a commission on the sale of both your new RV and the one that you trade in. While I don't know what the dealer has offered you, most of them will only give the wholesale price because of their expenses in moving it. If you visit a large public library they probably have a paper copy of the NADA book and those are more accurate and have more information on their listings. You can find current high and low retail prices, wholesale price, and loan value for your present RV.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

7 hours ago, sandsys said:

Linda Sand

I suppose something like that could be done if there wasn't any bottom storage that had to be changed over plus you had some way of safely getting up and down off of "scaffolding boards".  If you change over at a dealer's lot please don't suggest anything like this.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

7 hours ago, FL-JOE said:

I suppose something like that could be done if there wasn't any bottom storage that had to be changed over plus you had some way of safely getting up and down off of "scaffolding boards".  If you change over at a dealer's lot please don't suggest anything like this.

It was at a dealer's lot I saw this. The scaffolding was not as wide as the doorway so you could still go up and down the edge of the steps. Plus, for the bottom storage part you would already be on the ground so why would you think that would be an obstacle?

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Well, I guess I stand corrected.  We have only traded RVs twice with a dealer.  Each time they simply positioned them so our door sides would be close together for easy transfer.  Have never heard of a dealer putting boards between two RV so someone could transfer possessions by "walking the plank".   I would guess their insurance carrier would freak out if they did such a thing for a couple 70 year old customers.  

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

Joe,

Not only have I heard of it, watched it happen at the factory for a rig next to us.   Granted, the couple was only about 65, but really we aren't talking about the world coming to and end.  Both rigs had dumped air (DPs) so that they weren't that high up, and using 2x12s it was easy to push totes across to the other person.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Archived