Sign in to follow this  
SnowGypsy

Waiting Lists At SKP Co-ops & Rainbow Parks

We've sent in our deposit to Hondo because that location best fits our family locations. When we visited there some time ago we asked about how long people are on the waiting list. We were told that it can take a year or two for most people, but we talked to a person who got his lot a week after he applied. We talked about The Ranch because we really liked the "feel" of the place, but it is quite a bit out of the way of our family.

Some time ago I mentioned the idea of another co-op park, perhaps in the Corpus Christi area. The best idea that came from that was that buying an existing rv park and converting it to a co-op would probably be the best way to go. If someone is interested in pursuing this idea you can PM me and we can discuss away from the general forum.

12 hours ago, kb0zke said:

Some time ago I mentioned the idea of another co-op park, perhaps in the Corpus Christi area. The best idea that came from that was that buying an existing rv park and converting it to a co-op would probably be the best way to go. If someone is interested in pursuing this idea you can PM me and we can discuss away from the general forum.

There is nothing to prevent you from forming a group to do this sort of thing but Escapees would not be a part of it, unless the change in management has reversed those decisions. If you read Kay Peterson's book "History of the Escapees Club" it addresses their decision first to discontinue the co-op parks program and then later the dropping of the Rainbow Parks with deeded lots plan as well. Basically, it was due to possible liability to the club that could arise if a new park were to fail. But there is nothing to prevent you from organizing your own group and following the Escapee co-op model but without the ties to Escapees. We live in a co-op community in east TX that was modeled after the Escapee co-op idea by a group who were mostly club members but that wanted to be able to build small homes, rather than only RVs and park models. We have now been operating for 10 years but with no tie to the Escapees, other than having copied their idea with some expanded homes. The first thing that you would need to do is to form a group and incorporate, then look for property and funding. 

Kirk:  Thank you.  The programs here do a quite a few outings and things our son would enjoy.  Not an easy decision, but thinking long term..........  Our son really isn't interested in seeing and doing the things we do, no surprise as we are the "boring" parents.  He has been rolling his eyes at us for awhile now.

Thank you, Trostberg, I wasn't aware of The Care Center doing that.

Kansas has a layer of snow this morning!  Very cold and supposed to be 12 degrees tonight, so I guess we could be a lot of  places other rvers would avoid.  We know about "winter" rving!